Hamer Fan Club Message Center

MIJ Edwards E-LP?

Carl.B

Question

10 answers to this question

Excellent guitars! Made by ESP Japan (the Japan brancj of ESP if you will). Earlier ones all Japan made with Gotoh hardware. Later models (ie: my E-EX-125D Explorer) are made in China under strict supervision and are then shipped back to Japan for fit + finish. Many say Edwards guitars are Gibson without the QC issues. I would not hesitate to buy another old or new... 

Some pics of my Edwards before + after refin:

ex_12.jpg

ex_13.jpg

ex_01.jpg

ex_06.jpg

ex_04.jpg

22 minutes ago, Carl.B said:

That's sweet Vic.

Thanks! I'm going to stain the fret-board as dark as I can get it then level/crown the frets before getting it strung up. Guitar has cost me almost double what it should have cost (with import taxes /shipping / SKB case etc) but it's a complete 1 off now (I also added original serial in letraset on the head-stock). I would not sell it for less than £1000 GBP but would be well happy to keep it...

I own and have owned several models. All of them have been excellent regardless of their configuration and finish (poly vs. top coat lacquer, all lacquer). Neck carves tend to be a pretty consistent medium-ish, maybe between a 59 and 60 carve. I find all of the Japanese necks pretty comfortable. 

Are you looking at any particular model/configuration?

2 hours ago, currypowder said:

I own and have owned several models. All of them have been excellent regardless of their configuration and finish (poly vs. top coat lacquer, all lacquer). Neck carves tend to be a pretty consistent medium-ish, maybe between a 59 and 60 carve. I find all of the Japanese necks pretty comfortable. 

I got to thinking I have never owned a Les Paul, I have had almost every other form factor of guitar there is at one time or another just not a LP.  After playing some Gibson's studio's,up thru the Classic none of them wowed me really especially for the price. Then by chance I saw on GC used website a Black Edwards E-LP-130CD/P with Duncan P-90's for $599 and sadly it is gone now.  They look to be equal of a LP Traditional for about 1/2 to 2/3 the price. 

E-LP-130CDP_BK.jpg

https://www.espguitars.co.jp/edwards/lp/E-LP-130CDP.html

I'd say 6 bills for an Edwards is a damn good deal. The model number will give you an idea of what the guitar sold for new. For instance, the MSRP of The 130 would have been 130,000 yen or about $1,200 at today's exchange rate. In reality, they go for about 80% of that, so it probably sold new for about a grand. Used, I see them go for about $800 and up, depending on the model. The last Edwards I sold was an E-LP-130ALS (ALS means all lacquer finish) for $1,050 with a HSC.

Bottom line is that for a grand or less you can get a high quality Les Paul with nice pickups and electronics that will rival any production Gibson for tone, playability and fit/finish.

Excellent guitars; my friend has a long tenon MIJ Edwards Les Paul, came with Seymour Duncan Antiquities, sounds and plays great, and at under nine pounds, is a good weight for a solid mahogany bodied guitar, it has a maple cap but I'm pretty sure it's a flame veneer on top.

Jaberwock

6 hours ago, jaberwock said:

Excellent guitars; my friend has a long tenon MIJ Edwards Les Paul, came with Seymour Duncan Antiquities, sounds and plays great, and at under nine pounds, is a good weight for a solid mahogany bodied guitar, it has a maple cap but I'm pretty sure it's a flame veneer on top.

Jaberwock

Most Edwards with a flame top are veneers over a maple cap. I say most as there was a small 31 guitar run in 09 with select mahogany, solid flame tops and all lacquer finish called Pure Material. And I know of at least one instance where a regular Edwards has a solid flame top.

If your friend's Edwards came with the Antiquities, it's likely an all lacquer relic model.

17 hours ago, currypowder said:

If your friend's Edwards came with the Antiquities, it's likely an all lacquer relic model.

It has a reliced finish, so you're probably right about the lacquer; neck carve was very comfortable in the hand, very similar to a 59 re-issue.

On 6/27/2018 at 9:46 PM, currypowder said:

I have one of these:

https://espguitars.co.jp/edwards/sa/E-SA-180LTC.html

one of the earlier Japanese made models (then called E-SA-138LTC, because at that time they cost 138,000Yen w/o taxes!)

Extremely well made guitars (solid carved maple top, back and sides, no plywood!!) one piece mahogany neck with ebony fretboard, real M.O.P. inlays, a nitro finish and a good quality hard shaped case. When I bought mine (secondhand) the previous owner who imported it new from Japan had changed the pick-ups to a Gibson 490R/498T set (apparently B.B. Kings favourite conbination) and had a CTS loom installed, playability is perfect(after a good set-up), sounds like a great semi should... recommended!

Archived