Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Experience with Wedge Cabs

Thinking of getting one of these Wedge speaker cabs. Pros-cons? I have been digging my little 20watt Friedman head through a 2x12 Bogner cab, but its just barely loud enough to hear clean tones as it's low to the floor. I though maybe the angled cab would let me hear it better as it's angled right toward me. I like that the head sits on top. Any other choices besides the Mojotone and Avatar you all know of? 

slammins-2x12-head-angle.jpg

20 minutes ago, santellavision said:

I have been digging my little 20watt Friedman head through a 2x12 Bogner cab, but its just barely loud enough to hear clean tones as it's low to the floor. I though maybe the angled cab would let me hear it better as it's angled right toward me. 

You're clearly not playing loud enough. Played through a Bog 2x12 for years, never had a problem hearing it. 

Maybe try standing further away?

The Grand Ole Opry uses some kind of amp riser that puts them at an angle. 

In my opinion an angled cab behind you will be no better than an elevated amp cabinet.  Having an angled monitor cabinet in front of you would make more of a difference. 

In my speaker building experiments, I built some very small cabinets designed to mate with mini-heads (Quilter, other---Yeah, I know solid state!) I built them with tilt back baffles and, IMO, they work very well in directing the sound that works for both the player and the audience. It would be really easy to just scale them up to a size to accommodate 1 or 2 larger speakers. (I used 8" speakers rated at 100 watts each and they will really surprise you.....In my live trial, one 8" in a closed cabinet fully stood up to a quality half stack. But they clearly do NOT move as much air as a pair 12s---We were not playing in a large or extremely loud setting). The larger size will work better in terms of providing a space to hold a larger head, whereas tilting a standard shape cabinet back would mean having to anchor the head----Not hard, but does imply some other design decisions.

The key thing is that a smaller cabinet, sitting horizontally, will have most of the sound passing below your knees. Even tilted back, a majority of the sound will pass below your ears IF you are too close to the cabinet. But the angled (or raised) cabinet would be a good choice if you do not have the option/space to use a monitor.

14 minutes ago, shankyboy said:

I use an angled amp stand all the time. Even if I am running a head and separate cab, I put the cab on the stand. 

Thanks for the input.

My Bogner cab is an oversized Goldfinger 2x12 (Best sounding 2x12 cab I have owned) but, its a bit too big for an amp stand (I have one for my combos) Plus, it's too much of an angle, the head won't stay on safely. I have some Anvil type road cases that I could put it on to get it up a bit higher and even put some wood to angle it up a bit, but hate to have drag around more crap - haha.

1 hour ago, santellavision said:

Plus, it's too much of an angle, the head won't stay on safely.

I put the head on the ground for that reason. In your case, yeah you could put it up on one of those cases so it is closer to your ears. I do that with my Vibrolux since it doesn't have tilt legs and is a little too tall for my angled stand. Anything to get it up where you can actually hear it which also help me control my stage volume. 

11 minutes ago, santellavision said:

I have a couple of those that get used around the house now that the country band imploded. They've held everything from Vox AC4s to my Mesa Mark IIB without any issues - the only amp I haven't tried is my old Ampeg VT22 which weighs about the same as an engine block lol. They are solid, and the boom stand for micing up the amp is helpful.    

Here's a pic from a gig. The two Egnaters are on stands similar to this. (the bass amp is just leaned against the wall...)

FWIW, I shoot the amps across the stage, not out to the crowd. It makes them a good monitor for the entire band without mucking with the mains mix. 

IMG_20150530_200007_059.jpg

Okay....but dibs anyway.  I’ve been trying to figure out what the bombdiggity of 2x12s is and that ones was quick to top and hasn’t felt much heat as I continue to read about others. Is it really THAT good?  I thought I’d scored one from Music Go Round off Reveb for bit over $400 but it had sold locally that morning and they hadn’t yet pulled the ads. 

The Bogner Goldfinger 2x12 is really a great cab. It's oversized which gives it huge punch like a 4x12, but much lighter. The combo of G12H30 and Green back are a nice combo of complimentary speakers. The speakers are also off-set which might add to the tone.

RigA.jpg

Mojotone makes a slanted 2x12:

http://www.mojotone.com/Cabinets_x/Cabinets_xx/British-Style-Guitar-Amplifier-2x12-Slant-Speaker-Extension-Cabinet

Like the Bogner, the speakers are kittycorner but with the top one angled. Its got 4x12 punch and the size/weight of a 4x10. Mine has Hellatone 60s and is nicest-built cabinet I've owned. They also make a similar one with a steeper angle.

Lopoline used to make a slant cab that had the speakers stacked so it had a much narrower footprint (I see Mojotone owns them now). I use mine with the bottom speaker removed. It's not as tank-like as the Mojotone, but the narrow size is perfect for crowded stages and under smaller heads (like a SuperChamp or Frenzel). It sounds pretty damn good.

ETA: I like the taller slanted 2x12s (as opposed to the horizontal wedge type) because it keeps the amp knobs within easy reach.

I have used wedge 1x12 monitors, gutted the 12" PA spkr & tweeter and put a guitar spkr in, great for tight stages or rehearsal rooms

Archived