Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Miking a bass rig

Ralph

Question

6 answers to this question

D.I. out the back of your amp.
One less mike for the sound man to tame onstage.

I picked up a kick drum mike for my rig for situations where the sound guy insists on using a mike.
It's a Shure Beta 52A; works very well. Pick one up used for under a hundred bucks.

+1 on the beta 52a if you gotta.

and +1000 on using a DI for your primary sound. FOH sound engineer will appreciate it, and recordings will always come out better.

Top of The heap is the Countryman DI. Best bang for the buck is the ProCo DB-1, and that’s what will be house provided most places anyway.

One of the major benefits for live playing is that the board gets the DI signal before the amp. So if your amp (or provided back line) blows up, your direct signal continues and the show goes on. This is a real thing. :)

Ralph, are you planning on using a mic for live sound or recording? 

In a live situation the Shure Beta 52 will work well, and it is made for lower frequencies.  Even if you have one it is still good to run a direct input, too.  If that mic gets accidentally kicked or pulled away the FOH still has a signal.  You will get better results with a DI.  Does your amp have a direct out on it?  Most bass amps built since the 1990's have them.  Old Ampegs did not have them back when the SVT was competing with PA systems. 

The DI is best for live sound.  Unless you have a low stage volume, one more open mic on stage can muddy up the overall sound.  Mics are directional, but they do pick up a little from the side.  If you play at a moderate or low volume on stage that Shure Beta 52 that has been mentioned in this thread already will be your friend. 

PIck up a DSM Noisemaker OmniSimCab deluxe pedal to go to the house board... your sound man will thank you immensely...

Archived