Hamer Fan Club Message Center

"Tele Guy" on a slippery slope

That middle one's sharp, finish-wise and configuration-wise. Always had a bit of a jones for two-humbucker'ed Teles or three-single-coil-pickup Teles (sibling of a hardtail Strat). Still got a custom-made Robin Rawhide in that latter layout (Jeffro's seen it).

That's a MIK Schecter body mated to a Fender MIM neck, with a Duncan '59 set.  It partially fills the void left by  my #1 never-shoulda-sold-it guitar, the black real-deal USA Schecter I played in the mid-'80s. 

5IRKr2O.jpg

It's also a tribute to the Schecter Pete Townsend played at Live Aid, and during the much-broadcast "Who's Last" (LOL) concert in Toronto, 1982.  I always loved that concert video and thought that guitar was really cool, so when it came time to build a PT, I went with the goldtop.

82_schecter_gold_300.jpg

1 hour ago, Rich_S said:

That's a MIK Schecter body mated to a Fender MIM neck, with a Duncan '59 set.  It partially fills the void left by  my #1 never-shoulda-sold-it guitar, the black real-deal USA Schecter I played in the mid-'80s. 

5IRKr2O.jpg

It's also a tribute to the Schecter Pete Townsend played at Live Aid, and during the much-broadcast "Who's Last" (LOL) concert in Toronto, 1982.  I always loved that concert video and thought that guitar was really cool, so when it came time to build a PT, I went with the goldtop.

82_schecter_gold_300.jpg

That 80s pic is outta sight! Love it! What’s the Tele on the stand?

15 minutes ago, Jakeboy said:

That 80s pic is outta sight! Love it! What’s the Tele on the stand?

1985 candy apple red MIJ '62 Custom reissue, when the reissue concept was brand-new. 

At the risk of encouraging hamerhead's pigocity...

Still hot in her '50s.

The first song we played in rehearsal for our 2016 Reunion show, shot by the aforementioned singer with her hand-held iPhone.

She lives in San Francisco now but since 2009, we've all gotten together in Philly about every two years to play a show.

On 7/5/2018 at 11:56 AM, Rich_S said:

At the risk of encouraging hamerhead's pigocity...

Still hot in her '50s.

The first song we played in rehearsal for our 2016 Reunion show, shot by the aforementioned singer with her hand-held iPhone.

She lives in San Francisco now but since 2009, we've all gotten together in Philly about every two years to play a show.

The girl's got some vocal chops in a Chrissie Hynde-ish sorta way.👍🍻

caddie

You mean like this?

Or this?

Tina's an interesting case.  After singing this rock-n-roll stuff in college, she went back to school and studied voice "for real".  Now she does some of everything: straight-ahead traditional opera, modern opera, 18th-century "serious" music.  She just released a CD of original electronic folk music (along the lines of Kate Bush).  The woman stays busy.  Problem is, sometimes she's too busy to come home for the reunion gigs.  She also has trouble switching gears.  If she's busy preparing for an opera for example, she has to get her voice prepped in that direction, and can't just pop out for a weekend of rock singing.  Still, we've managed to convince her to do four reunion shows since 2009.  We can manage two full sets, and only spend one afternoon in a brush-up rehearsal the day before each one.  It's a blast.

As usual, a thread that was supposed to be about guitars has now switched over to being about the chick singer.  Gear geeks don't get no respect.

IMHO... a tele with two humbuckers really isn't a tele.  I mean, it's shaped like a tele, but it won't get that tele sound. It's the bridge pickup that really makes the Tele work. Some will disagree, but I am also the type that feels a Strat really needs to have three singles. SSH strats are pushing it, and are closer to a "Super Strat".

I mean, my EBMM Steve Morse is based on a Tele, but it's nothing like a Tele.

For me, I actually was pretty much all about the 24.75 dual humbucker guitars for a while. Then I got some Carvins, but they were also dual HBs.  It wasn't until I picked up a Tele that I really understood what a Tele was, and why it was awesome.

Anyway, there are so many flavors out there to try. Don't limit yourself.

Well, the goldtop is WAY more of a Tele than the Hamer is.  😀 

In my book, there are several things that make it a Tele, beside the geeky peghead shape (which I love).  Tonally, a Tele is 1) the scale length, 2) the string-through bridge, 3) the maple neck, and 4) the bridge pickup.  I figure 3 out of 4 is "close enough".  I like the goldtop because sometimes I want a little more beef in the tone, but I want a guitar that feels and plays just like my #1 blue Tele.  The Hamer, as much as I love it, is a bit of an adjustment, playing-wise, though it nails the mahogany/rosewood/two humbuckers thing better than the PT does.

I've owned several Tele's for many years, but never really bonded with them.

I never sold them either.

I know guys will say that my  '03Tom A HSH Hollow T Drop Top isn't a "True" tele in the "Classic" sense,but it's my best Tele style guitar I own.

The newest  Tele guitar I picked up is my '86 Fender MIJ '69RI Pink Paisley Tele, and it's the best "Classic" style tele in my collection by far.

It's loaded with a set of Lollars. The Royal T in the neck, and the Vintage T in the bridge. It's also got a series toggle switch to me it even more versatile.

These 2 guitars take care of all my Tele needs for sure.

25340690218_1476b0a892_b.jpg

28145199508_6e2530e20d_b.jpg

I almost bought one of those MIJ Custom 62 reissues at that time....it should have been my first Tele....it took about 22 more years....

18 hours ago, Rich_S said:

.... has now switched over to being about the chick singer.......

Sorry. Bubs is right. I come from a long line of swine.

Love the Teles, though. Or should I say I love the sound of a Tele, but have tried and failed many times to bond with one. It just never sounded like it did in my head. I have tons of respect for anyone who can make 'em work like they're supposed to.

On 7/11/2018 at 6:37 AM, hamerhead said:

Sorry. Bubs is right. I come from a long line of swine.

Love the Teles, though. Or should I say I love the sound of a Tele, but have tried and failed many times to bond with one. It just never sounded like it did in my head. I have tons of respect for anyone who can make 'em work like they're supposed to.

Same here with Strats, love them when someone else is playing them. I bring them home, love the tones, but playing live I can't seem to make it work. I have had really good one, but in the end they are just not for me. 

I'm kind of wondering if the Les Paul is going to be the same way. 

Fine-tuning: My interest in two-'bucker Teles isn't particularly sonic-based. It's more about a pickup configuration I like on an older-style body and neck silhouette that I also like; an "aberrational aesthetic", if you will. I'm fine w/ master volume and tone + a three-way p/u switch in a tongue depressor plate. Don't need separate knobs for each pickup.

To some extent a three-pickup Tele and a hardtail Strat are in the same personal preference category.

And of course, I'm a huge fan of the standard Robin Ranger, given its look and its pickup configuration. That's a very versatile instrument.

TMMV

Archived