Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Happy Fourth of July

Despite the V missing missing 2 frets, a little under an inch in scale length and a Floyd :P, the message is still good.

Statue of Rock.jpg

21 minutes ago, Thundersteel said:

I just hope we can remember the real reason for the holiday.

A few years ago I took a seven year old to Cowpens National Battlefield on Independence Day.  Reenactors were there along with people running kids activity tables.  The point was to make him understand that there was a war that went along with the Declaration of Independence. 

9 hours ago, Steve Haynie said:
10 hours ago, Thundersteel said:

I just hope we can remember the real reason for the holiday.

A few years ago I took a seven year old to Cowpens National Battlefield on Independence Day.  Reenactors were there along with people running kids activity tables.  The point was to make him understand that there was a war that went along with the Declaration of Independence. 

It was a sad day when teaching US History in K-12 was made illegal.

Remember the history portion of Schoolhouse Rock videos? The stuff in those songs were the elementary things we were all taught in school. Nowadays, kids aren't even taught the most basic facts of their own history. Nor do they seem to care. 

15 hours ago, FGJ said:

Remember the history portion of Schoolhouse Rock videos? The stuff in those songs were the elementary things we were all taught in school. Nowadays, kids aren't even taught the most basic facts of their own history. Nor do they seem to care. 

Totally agree on the inherent value of Schoolhouse Rock. Somewhat disagree on the latter statement. The fundamental curricular elements of U.S. History and late Western Civilization are still embedded in secondary education. At least in NC, I have witnessed firsthand how settlement, colonization, imperial rule, the Revolution, and subsequent formation of our democratic republic are taught. I think you are correct in perceiving that kids don't really care, but neither did most of my peers in the '80s. My dad was a history major, so I was conscripted into caring. And it is often my apathetic peers' kids that are now reflecting the same apathy regarding our nation's infancy. 

Back on topic... I think Lady Liberty would look even better wielding a Buck Owens/Don Rich sparkle Tele. 

^Well said.  History is still taught in school, and most students still find it tedious at best, which I still find to be a shame.  In fact, looking at the current Mississippi public school curriculum, they have to take more than I did in the 90s.  I can't imagine MS being more rigorous than, well, anywhere. 😂

I worked with a great History Teacher last year.  He was able to get many of the kids somewhat interested.  History can be very interesting.  It is full of stories after all.

Mississippi has a lot of history.  The schools ought to teach it. 

My interest in history, both reading and visiting historic sites, did not really take off until my 30's.  A customer who taught history said that is usually when people start taking an interest. 

In my earlier post to this thread I mentioned taking a seven year old to a historic site.  I knew that he would not become an instant historian, but putting a little bit of knowledge in a little boy's head might pay off in later years.  A lot of our elementary school education had some building blocks for us. 

The Cherokee Indian Reservation has a museum that was quite dry and purely academic up through the 1990's.  The same artifacts are now displayed in a historical context with some interactive displays.  Adults would have known what they were looking at before, but now the history is much easier for kids to understand.  The South Carolina State Museum showcases much more than cultural history by having displays on industry and science (we have astronauts).  Something will sink into a kid's head.  Augusta, Georgia has several museums where people can learn about Southern history and Black history as the town was in the heart of cotton country along the Savannah River where cotton was sent down to the coast. 

A friend who entertains people up and down the east coast also does music programs at schools.  In teaching old time music he gets young kids to clap, clack bones, or scrub a washboard, and they get a little history lesson, too.  "Where did this style of music come from?"  That question is the beginning of a history lesson. 

22 hours ago, mathman said:

I worked with a great History Teacher last year.  He was able to get many of the kids somewhat interested.  History can be very interesting.  It is full of stories after all.

My fifth grade teacher was a a great storyteller and most of my class looked forward to the history lesson part of the day. 

While incredibly silly the Comedy Central Show Drunk History can actually be fairly informative. 

Theres a podcast I really like called The Dollop. It’s done by two standup comics and gets pretty ridiculous but my kids actually used things they learned on that podcast in their AP history class. 

One of my fondest high school memories was destroying all the AP history kids from my high school in the state history test competition.  I went to Miss State in 11th grade to try and clep out of Spanish and sat in on the AP history competition for shits and grins; I was in the stereotypical history class taught by the baseball coach.   I placed 4th in the state.  The highest any of the AP students placed was somewhere in the 20s.  Where I went to high school, it was pretty embarrassing I guess that one of the malcontents from the coach's class did so well, but I've always loved history.  The coach, being a coach, was also tickled pink that one of his kids pretty much owned all the AP kids, though honestly he had nothing to do with it.  Nice enough guy though. 

One of the AP teachers asked me to join the academic quiz bowl team afterward with the caveat that I would need to pull my grades up to at least a 3.0.  I told them I'd prefer to stick to playing guitar and messing around with my car.  

I reckon it worked out OK. 

1 hour ago, LucSulla said:

I was in the stereotypical history class taught by the baseball coach.

Could be just a Mississippi thing but same here.  History and Driver's Ed were always pawned off on the coaches.  In my case the lack of teaching experience (and/or interest in teaching) resulted in their being more facilitator than teacher which I enjoyed and got more out of than the typical 70s/80s Charlie Brown lecture.

BZAAN6kCAAEpUbB.jpg

Archived