Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Paul Hamer - H Guitars Demo

Yeah the headstock is impractical at best, but pretty much ridiculous. I like the center design of the guitar, hate the neck and it just comes off as, a one off thing to talk about.

Did Paul do any of the actual builds of early Hamer guitars? First time I've seen him interviewed, seems like he likes to take credit for everything Hamer did.

1 hour ago, jaded_musician said:

Did Paul do any of the actual builds of early Hamer guitars? First time I've seen him interviewed, seems like he likes to take credit for everything Hamer did.

Oh boy...

6 hours ago, jaded_musician said:

Yeah the headstock is impractical at best, but pretty much ridiculous. I like the center design of the guitar, hate the neck and it just comes off as, a one off thing to talk about.

You couldn't be more off base...

So, I just watched this video all the way through for the first time and I was constantly reminded why it took so long.
You would think that an operation like Premier Guitar would outfit an interviewer with TWO microphones - maybe mounted on one's lapel - with which to conduct an interview.
How many times during the interview were Paul's first few words of a given answer inaudible before Interview Guy pointed his one microphone in front of Paul's mouth?
Totally low budget.

Paul, on the other hand, continues to prove himself to be one of the coolest guys out there.

1 hour ago, kizanski said:

So, I just watched this video all the way through for the first time and I was constantly reminded why it took so long.
You would think that an operation like Premier Guitar would outfit an interviewer with TWO microphones - maybe mounted on one's lapel - with which to conduct an interview.
How many times during the interview were Paul's first few words of a given answer inaudible before Interview Guy pointed his one microphone in front of Paul's mouth?
Totally low budget.

Paul, on the other hand, continues to prove himself to be one of the coolest guys out there.

It's amateur hour over there until they bring back Rebecca Dirks.

9 hours ago, cmatthes said:

You couldn't be more off base...

So is some of this hanging-in-the-air history written down somewhere?  There seems to be a lot of backstory that's not discussed.  And I've been hanging around here for a while now and I'm still clueless about it all.

I feel like The Book was too classy to cover the ... misunderstandings and bad blood, but maybe I never actually read it and just looked at the pictures.  :D

I want his jacket, with the embroderied(?) orange letter "h". In the Hamer / H guitars font.

Where can I buy it? Hit me! 😂 Very cool.

7 minutes ago, Disturber said:

I want his jacket, with the embroderied(?) orange letter "h". In the Hamer / H guitars font.

I like it too, but I could never pull it off. Kudos to him for rocking the bow tie as well.
It's like @MCChris in an ascot. It's the rare individual.

3 hours ago, kizanski said:

Totally low budget.

I always wonder if some of these places don't do that so they continue to have the look of "We're just guitar nerds trying to get our geek on" kind of vibe rather than being too slick.  I'd prefer they err on the side of slick.  These guys are getting at least some of their income from this.   I do like a lot of their coverage, just not always their production values. 

2 minutes ago, scottcald said:

I always wonder if some of these places don't do that so they continue to have the look of "We're just guitar nerds trying to get our geek on" kind of vibe rather than being too slick.

That no longer exists. Tech is too inexpensive.

28 minutes ago, kizanski said:

That no longer exists. Tech is too inexpensive.

You're not wrong, just a curiosity on my part.  One thing that really bugs me in some videos is a title bit with some super loud bam, boom sound in it, and the guitar demo is loud, but the speaking parts are super low. 

3 hours ago, sixesandsevens said:

So is some of this hanging-in-the-air history written down somewhere?  There seems to be a lot of backstory that's not discussed.  And I've been hanging around here for a while now and I'm still clueless about it all.

I feel like The Book was too classy to cover the ... misunderstandings and bad blood, but maybe I never actually read it and just looked at the pictures.  :D

Yeah, I really don't know much about Paul Hamer. My understanding he was more on the sales side and the CEO until 87? I don't know any of the history of the original guys beyond little bits and pieces.

Does Jol Dantzig or Paul Hamer ever show up on these forums?

17 minutes ago, jaded_musician said:

Yeah, I really don't know much about Paul Hamer. My understanding he was more on the sales side and the CEO until 87? I don't know any of the history of the original guys beyond little bits and pieces.

Does Jol Dantzig or Paul Hamer ever show up on these forums?

Jol is still avoiding any contact with Kiz :lol:  and Paul has dropped in a time or two. 

18 minutes ago, jaded_musician said:

Yeah, I really don't know much about Paul Hamer. My understanding he was more on the sales side and the CEO until 87?

That's the way Jol would have you understand it.
But ask yourself why they would name a guitar company after the sales guy.

So perhaps it's safe to say, all the original folks had their hands in producing those guitars in the 70's and into the 80's. 

I'm sure as time goes by, each person pushes their own narrative of what happened.

I'm just glad they were at the same place at the same time and created this brand of guitars.

10 hours ago, jaded_musician said:

I just ordered the book, I didn't know it was still available:

The Ultimate: An Illustrated History of Hamer Guitars

I'm guessing the book is more about the guitars than the politics of the company.

Exactly.  We've heard all sides, endless rumor, speculation, conjecture and pure bullshit - most of it from people who weren't even there.  That's not what Steve wanted in the book at all.

Archived