Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Paul Hamer - H Guitars Demo

Paul is exquisite as always. Yes, he did spray and set up most of the early Hamers. His H guitars are great and on the edge, which his designs always have been (think Standard and Virtuoso). Embracing the earliest stringed instruments is also very special , something which I am a big proponent of even today.

P.S.: I wish that I could "mangle" Rick's version so well.

15 hours ago, Frank Untermyer said:

Paul is exquisite as always. Yes, he did spray and set up most of the early Hamers. His H guitars are great and on the edge, which his designs always have been (think Standard and Virtuoso). Embracing the earliest stringed instruments is also very special , something which I am a big proponent of even today.

P.S.: I wish that I could "mangle" Rick's version so well.

Thanks for adding to this thread. I’ve been learning more about some of the history of Hamer.

I played in a band that used a Hamer Phantom in the 80’s and I bought a Californian with boomers in 1990. Since then I’ve had around 10 different models and enjoy them today even more than I ever did. These guitars just resonate with me.

On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 4:40 PM, Studio Custom said:

Looks like Tucker Carlson tried to mix a Turner Model 1 with a head stock guaranteed to break upon impact. 

With a touch of Preston Tucker thrown in (that strange headlight reflector looking sound hole thing).

On 7/11/2018 at 8:57 AM, Jakeboy said:

The Book is required viewing AND reading (looking at you 6&7). A treasure trove of all things Hamer.

😂

I'm fairly sure the words are there just to give you some time to process between the pictures.   Because, I mean, if they just used smaller pictures between the pictures then you wouldn't have time to process at all.

Duh.

;) 

And, so, like...  when is volume 2 coming out?

The publisher left some cool content on the cutting room floor.

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 3:19 AM, geoff_hartwell said:

It it a wonderful book! Full of incredible images and interesting insight from loving experts. 

Really great!

Is it the most complete published reference on Hamers?

Yes.

Holy hell, that sounded amazing! Is that all Friedman crunch? 

About the Ivoroid, is Paul suggesting there are different Ivoroids? Like isn’t the binding on Hamers Ivoroid? And knobs and pickup surrounds on the higher end Collings, etc. Are they not all Ivoroid? 

In any case, it’s cool that he’s using that as fretboard material..

I was visiting Chicago with my family and Paul invited us to lunch and brought the second (maybe the third?) H Guitar.  Those things are SO much cooler when they're in hand and you can appreciate not only the incredible wood and workmanship, but how feather-light and strikingly resonant they are.  Really freaking cool in person!

3 hours ago, cmatthes said:

I was visiting Chicago with my family and Paul invited us to lunch and brought the second (maybe the third?) H Guitar.  Those things are SO much cooler when they're in hand and you can appreciate not only the incredible wood and workmanship, but how feather-light and strikingly resonant they are.  Really freaking cool in person!

Now that is beyond cool!  You are a very lucky person indeed.  The details look exquisite.

On 7/12/2018 at 10:12 PM, jaded_musician said:

I received the book, there’s no Talladegas.

I just bought the book as well and there is 1 picture of a Tally at the very end although it is not discussed at all. 

10 minutes ago, shankyboy said:

I just bought the book as well and there is 1 picture of a Tally at the very end although it is not discussed at all. 

The author included that under duress.  

14 hours ago, DBraz said:

Now that is beyond cool!  You are a very lucky person indeed.  The details look exquisite.

I was gonna say he's a dickweed...   but honestly that's just envy talking.  ;) 

The scalloped back was way cool.  No bitching about buckle rash on those!  :D

• 4 weeks later...

I didn't catch the Django body shape until he mentioned it, but the soundhole decoration, extreme headstock angle, and scalloped back are directly from common lute design.

It reminds me most of Lindsay Buckingham's Turner guitar.

Archived