Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Looking for a Versatile 50-60 Watt EL34 Powered Amp

1 hour ago, murkat said:

Big Iron.

When I had my Uberschall in for a slight detune in gain, ( cap removal), Tech was commenting on that it was pushing 130 watts easy when we had it dimed.

That certainly would explain the weight.

On 7/14/2018 at 1:09 PM, murkat said:

Big Iron.

When I had my Uberschall in for a slight detune in gain, ( cap removal), Tech was commenting on that it was pushing 130 watts easy when we had it dimed.

Man. That's just nuts. I wonder how you bias an amp like that. Do you use 25 watts as the max dissipation, or 40?

On 7/11/2018 at 1:12 AM, Thundersteel said:

My Orange Rockerverb 50 head has very nice cleans--and an awesome dirty channel as well. It has tube-driven reverb, too.

It's definitely on the list now.  I am right now stuck in "do I get a combo or a head" limbo right now.

1 hour ago, tbonesullivan said:

I am right now stuck in "do I get a combo or a head" limbo right now.

I've got the head on top of a 2X12 cab. It makes it easier (and lighter) to move if need be.

Mine is the Mk II; the newer version is the Mk III. I bought mine used in like-new condition for a good price, because some are wanting to switch to the Mk III.

18 minutes ago, Thundersteel said:

I've got the head on top of a 2X12 cab. It makes it easier (and lighter) to move if need be.

Mine is the Mk II; the newer version is the Mk III. I bought mine used in like-new condition for a good price, because some are wanting to switch to the Mk III.

I'm still trying to decide if I want to get a better/worse cabinet. Currently I have an Avatar open back 2x12 loaded with Texas Heat speakers. I think i would work fine with that though,  and would save some $$$

WIth the combo the footswitch jacks are inside and underneath. Kind a pain in the ass to get to.

21 hours ago, tbonesullivan said:

I'm still trying to decide if I want to get a better/worse cabinet. Currently I have an Avatar open back 2x12 loaded with Texas Heat speakers. I think i would work fine with that though,  and would save some $$$

WIth the combo the footswitch jacks are inside and underneath. Kind a pain in the ass to get to.

I have an open back Avatar 2 x 12, one of the semi-rare vertical models, with a pair of Webers in it.  No matter the style or what I push it with I've been real happy with it and the weight is quite tolerable ever for an old coot.  Ceramic Webers in it, BTW.

Vertical 2x12s are nice. Just often too narrow for anything but lunchbox heads unfortunately. I have a set of Carvin verical slant 2x12s that sound great. The inside is covered with some type of batting material.

I've seen those 3D 212 Vertical Forte Replica cabinets from avatar. They look tempting.

Might want to check out a Mesa Electra Dyne...  You can run it at 45 or 90 watts and throw EL34s in it.  Although, if your trying to get away from "heavy" and "loud", it might not be the amp for you.

Heavy and loud... not really. The Marshall does that great. That's just ALL that it can do. And it weighs a nice 70 lbs, goes from silent to destroy somewhere between 1 and 2 on the volume dial.  Also.. I do have a 100 watt carvin half stack that can also blow things away. I'm looking for versatility,  but still able to get some nice british sounding crunchiness.

Went to BCR Music and bought the R Fifty-Five Twelve. Great little amp, and has the footswitch and cover. Great condition.  Tubes look to be stock probably. Gonna roll some nice tubes in and see what changes are made. If anyone is looking at Rivera amps,  it really does a great job of both British and American style tones, and a lot of their line uses the same basic preamp design. The "american" channel has a bright switch, and a notch switch on the mid control that brings it from tweed to blackface configuration. The british channel can do everything from rumble to howl.

Now just need to figure out what to do with the Marshall TSL122. It's misbehaving and making weird noises like it's got a dirty pot, even when every control is all the way down. Changed ALL the tubes. Still does it. Probably gonna have to take it in to be fixed. AGAIN.

Also,  some customer with serious skills was rocking out on a Rockerverb 50 MKIII while I was there. That really IS an amp that can do just about anything. Great for anything British, and has a great clean. If the Rivera had been gone, I probably would have started looking into one of those.

Archived