Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Satchel's Pedal KO'd

The upshot of this is: there were complaints about the sexist and offensive name and description of the pedal- "the Pussy Melter" and TC Electronics pulled the TonePrint ad from their site.

I'm guessing the female musicians who lodged the complaints and initiated the effort to have it taken down have never been to a Steel Panther show😂 

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/steel-panthers-satchel-and-tc-electronic-face-backlash-over-offensive-and-sexist-guitar-pedal-effect/

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As I understand it (and not that it especially matters) it's not even a pedal but a Tone Print download.

Lord knows I'm no Steel Panther fan (I love me some lowbrow, sophomoric stuff but SP doesn't resonate with me at all) and TCE probably screwed up by hitching their wagon to Satchel (although this is some good publicity for them) but this is ridiculous. People are just looking for reasons to be outraged these days. They're actually uncomfortable if they're not upset about something.

I'd agree it was questionable for TCE to hitch a wagon to SP for many reasons, not the least of which, SP represents  a niche market and I'm betting TCE aspires to a broader market share than just aging hair metal-ers. I also agree that this is ridiculous. I really believe that the offended parties took it out of context and likely don't even know that SP is a satirical glam metal band, aping the idiosyncratic mindsets and behaviors associated with that era and that genre of music. In a different context, the name and description are offensive. But this is not the case.

I think a lot of people "get" that Steel Panther is a satirical act, but TC's website is not a satirical website.  It must have been kind of jarring to scan down the list of TonePrints and find the full-on SP schtick inserted in between all the serious ones.

I'm not an SP fan by any stretch, but I think the name of their latest album is great.  "Lower The Bar".  LOL

34 minutes ago, MCChris said:

People are just looking for reasons to be outraged these days. They're actually uncomfortable if they're not upset about something.

Yup.  Been like that for a long time.  Orwell essentially makes the same observations in  The Road to Wigan Pier. 

34 minutes ago, diablo175 said:

I'd agree it was questionable for TCE to hitch a wagon to SP for many reasons, not the least of which, SP represents  a niche market and I'm betting TCE aspires to a broader market share than just aging hair metal-ers. I also agree that this is ridiculous. I really believe that the offended parties took it out of context and likely don't even know that SP is a satirical glam metal band, aping the idiosyncratic mindsets and behaviors associated with that era and that genre of music. In a different context, the name and description are offensive. But this is not the case.

What's next, toss every Big Muff Pi on the planet into a big pile and light it on fire?

6 minutes ago, murkat said:

Well, I guess there goes Joan Jett's pedal preset, Cock Twister.....

Ha, is that real? If so, major double standard (which is to be expected).

Its not like the complaints for a PEDAL PRESET would have become so strong that it would have taken them down. If they received complaints, reviewed them, weighed the issues, had a discussion, made a decision,  that was their choice. But this is the internet and the world is going to end because we can't say vulgar things because its cool. 

33 minutes ago, MCChris said:

What's next, toss every Big Muff Pi on the planet into a big pile and light it on fire?

Let's hope not. An (over)reactionary culture hopefully is a like most fads and cycles out for a few decades...

1 hour ago, diablo175 said:

Having been to a few SP shows I've observed ALOT of people in the audience that have no clue that it's satire.

5 minutes ago, Stike said:

Having been to a few SP shows I've observed ALOT of people in the audience that have no clue that it's satire.

Likewise. It's always a bit disconcerting, too.

Steel Panther is a major act just below the bands that can still fill arenas.  They get booked into the 2500 - 4000 seat venues.  TC Electronic wants to sell products to women, but they are likely selling 90% of their products to men. 

Every time Ted Nugent gets booked into a venue there are a bunch of Facebook warriors demanding the venue cancel the show.  More people buy tickets than protest. 

Everything classic rock song with a sexual theme and the bands who wrote them will be tagged as sexist one day.  Gene Simmons is proud of himself for it, and he gets paid $50,000 to hand deliver his $2000 box set.  Someone is winning, and it is not the complainers. 

Just to show how much they care about women, Steel Panther should sell pink pussy hats like those women protesters wear, but with their logo on them

17 minutes ago, Thundersteel said:

So there's still hope for the Friedman Dirty Shirley, Buxom Betty, and Pink Taco amps?

You forgot Brown Eye.

6 minutes ago, BubbaVO said:

Well there's no getting around it. They will punish you...

Been sitting here chuckling my fool ass off! Had forgotten this scene despite seeing MPATHG numerous times... 

1 hour ago, Steve Haynie said:

Just to show how much they care about women, Steel Panther should sell pink pussy hats like those women protesters wear, but with their logo on them

Their schtick is as much satire as it is tribute-if not more so. If they did what you have suggested then they would cease to be a satire act. 

I get why naming it that was a bad idea.  What I don't get is that it was obviously a bad idea from the moment it came up, so if you are going to go down at the first little bit of pushback, why bother at all?  It was obviously going to happen. Personally, I could give a shit what they called it, but what really pisses me off is to make a whatever called the "pussy melter" and then act surprised that there are people outraged.  It's an outrage economy these days.  Either TC is absurdly naive or softer than baby shit. 

Archived