Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Saw Not Ur Girlfrenz Last Night

So, there was a show in Asheville, NC last night that I wanted to see with three bands playing. 

First up was Kosha Dillz, a rapper who makes himself stand out with his Jewish background.  He was up on stage with a sense of humor as he talked to the audience.  As expected, he was about as white as it gets when it comes to rap.  He seemed like a nice enough guy, but he will not be selling me any music. 

Next up was a trio from Dallas, Texas called Not Ur Girlfrenz.  Before the show there was a little bit of previewing the band on YouTube.  Three girls around the age of 13 have their catchy professionally done videos along with some live stuff.  Most of the covers they play are by bands I have never listened to.  If I just judged them on their videos my interest in them would not be more than any of the other bands that have opened shows I have attended.  YouTube videos really do not capture what the band is like live.  Watching from the audience is what you need to get this band.  Sometimes video cannot capture the live experience. 

The guitar player, Liv Haynes played a variety of PRS guitars with flat tops.  She hit every note she sang.  I have to wonder if this is what Lzzy Hale was like at the same age.  Gigi Haynes, played a Music Man SUB StingRay.  The one member of the band that stood out most to me was the drummer, Maren Alford.  I was at the stage in front of her.  That kick drum was as strong as could be, and it was not enhanced by the PA where I was standing.  Everything she played was strong and interesting.  She is a solid drummer.  If the band does not last, the drummer will.  She could get a job with a much older and successful band right now. 

Not Ur Girlfrenz has been playing on the Vans Warped Tour and doing side gigs opening for their manager's band on the off nights.  Jaret Reddick is the guy who really wants to push Not Ur Girlfrenz.  He is making sure they get some exposure, and has produced some of their videos. 

The last band up was Bowling For Soup.  This was my first time seeing BFS.  Jaret played a new Music Man StingRay guitar that was modified to have just one knob.  He used that guitar for all but one song, Girl All The Bad Guys Want, for which he used his Music Man Axis.  That song is in drop-D, so he had to switch guitars to play it.  Chris Burny played his beat up Gibson Les Paul Studio.  Chris had a bunch of Mesa heads in a road case and a Mesa 4x12, but there was what looked like a Mini-Rectifier on top of the case of amp heads.  Erik Chandler was not able to be on the current tour, so Rob Felicetti of Patent Pending is filling in for him. 

Both Kosha Dillz and Not Ur Girlfrenz joined BFS at different times during their show.  Something happened that I have never seen before, too.  During the song Punk Rock 101 Jaret said he needed to go off stage and pee, leaving the band up their just goofing off for a few minutes.  I do not know if that was for real or just part of the fun of the show.  Considering the sense of humor the guy has it could have been an act.  He came back and they finished the song. 

Bowling For Soup setlist

cool man,  Bowling for Soup is one of my favorite bands,    oddly enough, never seen them live, but I have their

live video and one of their live acoustic cd's...  he (Jaret) manages Not ur girlfriendz,  a pretty funny band name...   

No idea how old they are, but pretty good for young kids...   BFS also tours a lot with the Dollyrots, a female

fronted pop punk bank  (punk lite?)   they're older, but very good as well...    

BFS came a few years after I got out from U of North Texas. my ex roomate casey diorio recorded them, and my pal eric delegard recorded a few of their albums in his studio off campus where I recorded some demos ~1990. I saw them on warped tour in the early 2000s

Archived