Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Vai, Yngie, Nuno, and Zack

BTMN

I love Rawk stories! Life IS Good!. Watched YJM shoot pool before playing at a gig in downtown St. Pete. way to many years ago.He was nice enough to all around him while I watched from about 2 ft. away mid table. Never took off his sunglasses though and the chick he was playing with had a good time almost beating him at 8 ball.

2 hours ago, Ed Rechts said:

I know it has become de rigueur to talk shit about Yngwie, but when he starts playing, he is truly jaw-droppingly talented.

Totally worth the ticket to witness his ability.

My time with Vai, (with Satch, Eric Johnson and Alex Skolnick) are already documented herein. My only run-in with YJM was back in the mid 80's when he was doing a record signing in a local record store (remember those things?) in the Oakland section of Pittsburgh, before a show that night. He was as much a pompous ass as expected. When I handed him my copy of Marching Out,  he scribbled his sig on it and dismissively tossed it back at me. Common treatment for awestruck fanboys, I'm sure. Still, it left an impression on me, one that has only been reinforced over the years via stories like Ed Recht's.

And yes, his skill is very impressive, but like his shitty attitude, I can only handle so much before I put on some music.

48 minutes ago, diablo175 said:

And yes, his skill is very impressive, but like his shitty attitude, I can only handle so much before I put on some music.

Meh. I don’t let personalities factor into what I listen to. I don’t have to hang out with rockstars, so why would I care if they were, “cool”, or not?

Zappa was a dismissisive prick and an intellectual snob and I still listen to his stuff. 

22 minutes ago, RobB said:

Meh. I don’t let personalities factor into what I listen to. I don’t have to hang out with rockstars, so why would I care if they were, “cool”, or not?

Zappa was a dismissisive prick and an intellectual snob and I still listen to his stuff. 

Personalities that I encounter first hand?  Yeah, I guess I did let it influence my listening... to a degree. Like I said, I am impressed with his chops and skill but I stopped buying his albums not long after encountering him in P-burgh.

11 hours ago, RobB said:

Yeah.  Gary Moore told me to fuck off when I told him how wonderful I thought his clinic was when I was a teenager.  Still love his stuff.

Archived