Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Jazzmaster .... ???

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Harmonic Design Z90 humbucker size P-90s

The current auction bid is less than the cost of the pickups!

On 7/17/2018 at 10:09 PM, BadgerDave said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Warmoth-Offset-J-style-loaded-body-Custom-Shop-quality-components-Seafoam/232850971793

I have this body up for auction on eBay.  The neck is also available.

Just sayin'   😏

PA060018.JPG

Buy this.

42 minutes ago, BadgerDave said:

Harmonic Design Z90 humbucker size P-90s

The current auction bid is less than the cost of the pickups!

I am guessing, less than the neck as well.

On 7/17/2018 at 7:43 PM, bubs_42 said:

If you want to try a different bridge pickup in a strat, I really liked the Seymour Duncan Twangbanger. Pushes the guitar in more of a Tele'ish tone but doesn't totally kill the strat vibe. Oh, if you want to try one of those metal base plates on your strat bridge pickup that is another option. 

I have base plates in both my Strats, high end electronics and pickups. i'm just not bonding with them. I loved my R0 immediately. The SG too after I did a little work on it. Maybe Im just a 24.75 guy at heart?

4 hours ago, Thundersteel said:

Have you tried a G&L Comanche or HSS Legacy? (I find nothing wrong with their headstocks!)

COM_ClrBlu_PFMT_RW-1200_nobkgrnd.png  Legacy-HSS-RMC-MRG-1200.png

People have been trying to get me to buy G&L for years. Knowledgeable people. I just cant get past the headstock. It's me, not you.   :)

12 minutes ago, Punkavenger said:

I have base plates in both my Strats, high end electronics and pickups. i'm just not bonding with them. I loved my R0 immediately. The SG too after I did a little work on it. Maybe Im just a 24.75 guy at heart?

Maybe that is the case, and if it is maybe you should keep in the back of your mind a Fender Toronado from 2000's. 

https://reverb.com/item/11028941-fender-1998-toronado-deluxe-sunburst

Anyway, Yeah. I pulled the trigger on the Nash. I read both negative and positive reviews on the internet. It seems that some people take this whole JM very seriously, Almost like the LP guys! :)  I'll let you know when it arrives,  I'm worried that the neck might be too thin for my tastes but I made sure it's returnable, I'll just be out the return shipping. 

7 minutes ago, bubs_42 said:

Maybe that is the case, and if it is maybe you should keep in the back of your mind a Fender Toronado from 2000's. 

https://reverb.com/item/11028941-fender-1998-toronado-deluxe-sunburst

Wow, I really like that.  Thanks!  Also i saw some Jaguars I really liked, another possibility. It's nice having a lot of guitars to sell, I don't have to worry about saving every cent to pay for the new one.   :)

4 hours ago, Punkavenger said:

Wow, I really like that.  Thanks!  Also i saw some Jaguars I really liked, another possibility. It's nice having a lot of guitars to sell, I don't have to worry about saving every cent to pay for the new one.   :)

Ya, I missed one here local for $575, it was black with aTort Guard. I ended up with the offset mutt so i'm happy. 

On 7/18/2018 at 2:44 AM, RobB said:

That’s awesome! Would love that one. I love the simplified JM style, competition stripe and matching headstock...perfect :)

• 3 weeks later...

Pros  .... A. I was most concerned about the neck but even though its a 1 5/8 nut width its very fat so I actually like it B. Nice light ash body.  C. Nice tall frets  D. Sounds killer, I love these Lollar pickups! E. One of the negative things I read about Nash guitars was that the frets were sharp and not finished correctly. Not on this guitar, rolled edges, perfect smooth frets, thick rosewood slab board. E. The controls work perfectly and there are several different tones you can get by moving dials, switches etc. F. I emailed Nash guitars with a question I had and Bill Nash got right back to me on a Sunday, plus he was super nice. That's pretty cool

Cons .... A. For $2200 you would think you could get real clay dots ... not faux clay dots. B. The knobs were white, the pickup covers ugly parchment grey and the switch tip cream. Personally I think all this stuff should match but I guess that's just too difficult .... So I changed it all out to black. C. I'm not sure if its the big single coils or a bad ground wire but it buzzes like crazy if you take your hands off the strings/guitar. I'll have my guitar tech look at it or maybe someone here knows about that stuff. D. Signed with a sharpie plus guitar ID with a sharpie... really? Cute and all that but I think they could do better. Stamp the serial number onto the neck plate for example?

DSC01004.jpg

DSC01005.jpg

DSC01006.jpg

DSC01007.jpg

DSC01008.jpg

DSC01009.jpg

DSC01010.jpg

Looks nice, Punk. The, "Sharpie-thing" is a Nash feature. I think their prices would go higher if they documented their serial #'s like Fender, et al, do on their guitars.

I've got a set of Gotoh HAPM (height-adjustable) locking Klusons that are not being used. If you're interested, ping me.

Are there any companies out there who make the real "clay" dots, which were white vulcanized fiberboard? Most I am seeing just use corian or some acrylic material.

1 hour ago, tbonesullivan said:

Are there any companies out there who make the real "clay" dots, which were white vulcanized fiberboard? Most I am seeing just use corian or some acrylic material.

Musikraft does. 

That said, is it really that big an issue? Fake’s good enough for me. 

30 minutes ago, RobB said:

Musikraft does. 

That said, I’d it really that big an issue? Fake’s good enough for me. 

On a cheap guitar no .... but $2200 is a lot of money and more attention to detail should be paid. In my humble opinion of course. :)

• 6 months later...

Old thread, but I hear ya on the Strat thing. When I'm playing alone I like a big ol' humbucker-n-mahogany sound, but in the real world of fitting into the mix and staying in tune, I'm a Fender guy. As long as I've played, I've never tried a Jazzmaster, partly 'cos the Johnny Marr Jaguar I had I LOVED for playability but it just was too plinky sounding. Strats are much stronger, but even with a Dimarzio Red Velvet in the bridge, the G&L Legacy has The Strat Sound, which is cool clean and slinky, or with Smashing Pumpkins fuzz, but is so... zingy in between.

I got a Fender AV65 Jazzmaster last week (apparently the AV series were the best non-custom shop instruments, blah blah blah, exact vintage specs, yawn, whatever) because I wanted a GOOD one that might hold some value, and I wanted a white one because Tomomi Nabama played one in Detroit7 and she kicks ass.

100424detroit7_f288.jpg

It already came with a Mastery bridge, which is good 'cos the stock bridges are so wide the E strings are right at the edge of the fretboard. I carefully set it up, and love it. It's really different from a Strat sound, and the long string length means it has a really elastic feel bending strings. Stays in tune great, and I use the rhythm circuit for the songs I use fuzz for a stoner sludge thing. Really fun guitar: I can't believe I went so long without one.

Archived