Hamer Fan Club Message Center

bubblewrap/shipping

I've been shipping/selling a few guitars recently and I like to pack things well. Sometimes I'll wrap bubblewrap around the headstock or in rare instances I'll put a couple of sheets on the top of the guitar in the case (if it's a loose fit). 

My question is this >>> Will the bubblewrap react with the finish of the guitar and cause any damage or discoloration? 

Thanks!

I haven't had any issues with bubble wrap reacting with the finish. It's made from polyethylene, so like most polymer plastics, I don't think it will react with nitro.

If there's room in the top of the case I'll put bubble wrap in a "U" shape around the edges of the headstock. I've been warned that stuffing paper, etc. under the headstock on an angled, 3x3 head is a no-no, but rather one should pad the case interior to keep the guitar from shifting. I wrap the neck/fingerboard with butcher paper with a tail extending down to cover the pickups, too. 

Seems to work so far. I've shipped a LOT of guitars and all arrived safely to their new owners.

Could more things to add...

Make sure the body of the guitar doesn't slide too much. Almost all headstock breaks come from the body sliding back and forth and the headstock hitting the end of the case. So secure the body in the case so that doesn't happen. 

Loosen the strings to take the tension off the neck. I've also noticed pros putting paper between the strings and the fretboard. Some companies (Tom Anderson guitars) send their guitars out with piece of thin plastic under the strings. 

Archived