Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Gig Bag Recommendations

OK, so I've used the same leather bag to carry my cables and stands, power adapter, whatever since about 1981. (no, seriously. Since 1981.)  I think it's a bowling ball bag, one big enough for two balls. (and if you read this post for no other reason than that last comment...) The zipper is broken, and it's beat to crap, but I've really had no desire to replace it. 

Besides, the sax player in the band likes to make fun of it. And I didn't want to take that away from him...

Anyways... I'm thinking about what to get to replace it.  Maybe.  

What do you use?  Any Gator / SKB / whatever bags worth a look?

I used to be in love with the Gator stuff, but the zippers have crapped out on everything that's seen any real use. Good cases, shitty zippers. For the money they should be better.

I've had good luck with the Mono brand. They have a lot of features for the money, but they are on the higher-price scale of gig bags.

I have an electric and acoustic version. They have an interior neck-support with a velcro strap that locks the neck in place. Plenty of pockets for tools, strings, cables, etc. I added the, "Tick", accessory bag. It is the perfect size for the Yamaha THD5 amp. 

I always use the Mono bag if I need to travel with an electric. They are compact enough to fit in airline overhead compartments, or you can ask nicely and the stewards will almost always let you hang them in the coat closet. There are many comparable (and cheaper) brands, but I like Mono. My guitars do, too.

7 hours ago, veatch said:

OK, so I've used the same leather bag to carry my cables and stands, power adapter, whatever since about 1981. (no, seriously. Since 1981.)  I think it's a bowling ball bag, one big enough for two balls. (and if you read this post for no other reason than that last comment...) The zipper is broken, and it's beat to crap, but I've really had no desire to replace it. 

Besides, the sax player in the band likes to make fun of it. And I didn't want to take that away from him...

Anyways... I'm thinking about what to get to replace it.  Maybe.  

What do you use?  Any Gator / SKB / whatever bags worth a look?

Find someone to replace the zipper. I'm assuming both handles are good?
Or find another bag like it. (Craigslist.)
You can't find style like that anymore...

Get you a Tool Bag from your local hardware store, they are made heavy duty with good zippers. I have two craftsman bags that I use, one small one at the rehearsal space and my bigger one for chords, cables, accessory's, maintenance tools. 

Believe it or not, @hamerhead didn't come up in my search. 

https://www.menards.com/main/search.html?search=Tool+Bag

As an aside, Mono has smaller bags, backpacks, and other stuff as well.

I highly recommend their gear.  My mono gig bag is my favorite guitar case by far.  Sadly, it's not shaped to fit my Shishkov Ultimate.  ;)

6 hours ago, killerteddybear said:

Find someone to replace the zipper. I'm assuming both handles are good?
Or find another bag like it. (Craigslist.)
You can't find style like that anymore...

Shoe repair shops, makers of custom boat covers, leather workers, seamstress' should be able to replace the zipper.

It's a cool bag. I'd get it fixed.

I can't recommend a specific brand but I found what was marketed as a gym duffle bag that gets it done.  Smaller than a regular duffle, maybe 2'  to 2 1/2' long, end pockets and a decent strap.  Carries a ton o' crap and seems to stand up to it OK.  I don't remember where I got it, but athletic stores/departments maybe?  I have a smaller one for Pasty White Folksinger gigs, but for band stuff, this gets it.

5 hours ago, bubs_42 said:

Get you a Tool Bag from your local hardware store, they are made heavy duty with good zippers. I have two craftsman bags that I use, one small one at the rehearsal space and my bigger one for chords, cables, accessory's, maintenance tools. 

Believe it or not, @hamerhead didn't come up in my search. 

https://www.menards.com/main/search.html?search=Tool+Bag

I was going to compliment you on your first good idea in 20 years........

4 hours ago, sixesandsevens said:

My mono gig bag is my favorite guitar case by far.  Sadly, it's not shaped to fit my Shishkov Ultimate.  ;)

Must be time for another call to The Shishkov Store.

Does anybody make a saddlebag-type bag that fits over/around the handle of a guitar case?  Now there's your million dollar idea.

18 minutes ago, hamerhead said:

Does anybody make a saddlebag-type bag that fits over/around the handle of a guitar case?  Now there's your million dollar idea.

The only thing close that I recall seeing was the Nano Pedal Board bag attached like that. I'd say that is a pretty darn good idea. 

I swear by the Mono products but your bag has class. Do not give in to the fashionistas! Repair that fine, fine piece of aged, tanned, leather goodness.

Archived