Hamer Fan Club Message Center

high price special on Reverb

The price on those has definitely been on the rise, and it looks like there are several up at that level.  There's also one at $750.  I think I paid $750 for my first special from Dave's guitars.

I know! The asking prices (not to be confused with selling prices) on mahogany P-90 Specials - no maple top or Korina - just keep going up.

Here's what's on Reverb right now:

Hamer Special 1993 Cherry
$750 + $50 Shipping
Asheville, NC, United States
https://reverb.com/item/12771988-hamer-special-1993-cherry

1992 Hamer USA Double Cut Special Cherry P90 Original Hamer Hardshell Case RARE to find for sale! !
$1,299 + $50 Shipping
South Lake Tahoe, CA, United States
The original listing had several pieces of incorrect information and the seller even stated “I don’t know much about Hamers.” I messaged him and told him how to identify the year, etc. I also mentioned that it’s really not all that “rare,” but you know how that goes.
https://reverb.com/item/14091142-1992-hamer-usa-double-cut-special-cherry-p90-original-hamer-hardshell-case-rare-to-find-for-sale

Used Hamer USA Special TV Yellow Double Cutaway Electric Guitar With Case
$1,299 + $40 Shipping (Marked down from $1,699)
Hudson Falls, NY, United States
Non-original neck pickup. “This model has been slightly modified and has a Seymour Duncan Invader installed in the bridge and a mini toggle coil split for the Invader as well.” Non-original case.
https://reverb.com/item/10556116-used-hamer-usa-special-tv-yellow-double-cutaway-electric-guitar-with-case

Vintage 1992 Hamer Special Translucent Red
$1,395 + $75 Shipping
Phoenix, OR, United States  
https://reverb.com/item/14100179-vintage-1992-hamer-special-translucent-red

Hamer USA Special - TV Yellow
$2,023.63 + $95.65 Shipping
München, Germany
Yikes.
https://reverb.com/item/7712423-hamer-usa-special-tv-yellow

1 hour ago, DaveL said:

I won't be munchen any of those up!       I think with reverb,  it's totally free to put

post so people just throw crap up there at crazy prices...

that might be the case...   I guess I'll sit back and watch the show... even the studios are getting ridiculous 

• 3 weeks later...

I just received this one from Dave’s Guitar Shop. It’s an EX+ condition ‘92, paid $750. Has the OHSC, and even the warranty card & ziplock Hamer baggy with the truss rod wrench. Hope it’s ok to use the stock “Dave’s” photo.

9E5957D5-DC39-4FD5-998C-7339BA956B6D.jpeg

Good score. Was gonna post a PSA for that and it was marked sold before I could put the post together. 👍 Amazing how well they move when priced realistically. 

I think you're ok with the pic, it's not like you're trying to completely misrepresent your possession of the guitar (unlike Craptain Wraptail). 👽

22 hours ago, davesultra said:

I just received this one from Dave’s Guitar Shop. It’s an EX+ condition ‘92, paid $750. Has the OHSC, and even the warranty card & ziplock Hamer baggy with the truss rod wrench. Hope it’s ok to use the stock “Dave’s” photo.

9E5957D5-DC39-4FD5-998C-7339BA956B6D.jpeg

How do you like the skinny necks on it? They didn't go medium until late 1993. Congrats to ya!

Those early 90's Specials had a list price of $999 when they were new.  They were sold at discounted prices.  Today you cannot get a new one, so what someone is willing to pay is what some of the sellers are testing.  To get that quality some of the asking prices are OK.  If Hamer was still around those guitars would sell for more. 

Knowing that you can pick up a Special for under a grand makes those higher prices nothing but wishful thinking. 

I don't know if it's that Hamer prices are getting higher, or that everything else has moved so far up in price that the Hamers are getting dragged upward as well.  For the $750 that a Diablo might cost you might be able to get into a low-to-midline Indonesian shredder with the cheap Floyd, import pickups and hardware - likewise the alternative to that Hamer USA Special would be a Korean Epiphone.  Even the cheapest PRS (the S2 line) which are USA made start around $1200-1500 (there are a couple of mahog loss leaders at $1K, but most everything nice is in the $1200 range) and those are actually pretty nice guitars.

I sell on Reverb and try to price fairly and build in the $100 or so worth of selling fees and shipping over the price I need to see; probably the most valuable option on Reverb is the 'auto-decline all offers below 65% of your asking price'). "No, I won't sell you a mint 98 Artist Custom in Cherry Sunburst with Gold Hardware for $700 shipped, you turnip..." So it's probably a combination of planning around LBL's and overly optimistic expectations.

8 hours ago, black magic said:

How do you like the skinny necks on it? They didn't go medium until late 1993. Congrats to ya!

Yeah, not too sure about the skinny neck, although I did know that going in. The biggest bummer is that I've discovered that the "A" string nut slot is cut too low. I'll be getting that replaced this weekend. So it'll take a slight hit on the resale value despite everything else being original. Damn is the thing clean for a 26 year old guitar. When I get it back from the nut job, I'll be able to get a better evaluation. BTW, were the nuts on these '90s-era Specials made of Graphite or Nylon?

Archived