Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Cracked neck (repaired) devaluation?

Hamer Dave

Question

How much value is lost in an otherwise nice/good condition guitar with...

A pretty serious headstock break/crack that had been decently repaired but not refinished? Clean break, not mutilated.

And, with... An extra strap lock hole drilled in?

Can this be calculated as a ‘percentage’ loss? Say 20%, where a typical $1000 dollar guitar getting reduced to $800, or a $2000 guitar reduced to $1600 in that example. 

Maybe 5-10% reduction for the extra strap lock hole? Like to get a consensus of what is fair or should be expected. Thanks, and stay well everyone. 

D :) 

8 answers to this question

Even pro-caliber and tasteful/attractive/popular refins can shear 50 percent of a guitar's value on the used market. I'd think a non-refin head snap would be in the same ballpark.

42 minutes ago, Jeff R said:

Even pro-caliber and tasteful/attractive/popular refins can shear 50 percent of a guitar's value on the used market. I'd think a non-refin head snap would be in the same ballpark.

What he said.  Rule of thumb 50%.

At that point the strap pin is inconsequential.  

Yeah, at least 50%.  If I ever ended up breaking a headstock on a set neck guitar, I would consider it something I probably wouldn't sell. It's just too much of a pain.

51 minutes ago, gtrdaddy said:

Unless of course the break was repaired by some guy in MI with a shit-ton of Heritage guitars. In this case, walk away.

ARGGGGHHHHH. Unfortunately also a fair number of Hamer guitars as well, and the idea that he knows how to repair guitars. He's just making more work for the REAL repair guys.

9 hours ago, tbonesullivan said:

ARGGGGHHHHH. Unfortunately also a fair number of Hamer guitars as well, and the idea that he knows how to repair guitars. He's just making more work for the REAL repair guys.

Don't worry about that snapped head stock, it'll buff right out. 

16 hours ago, Hamer Dave said:

Can this be calculated as a ‘percentage’ loss? Say 20%, where a typical $1000 dollar guitar getting reduced to $800, or a $2000 guitar reduced to $1600 in that example. 

47fb89b4aaa6f67549e8bdb194047f05.jpg

Archived