Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Soldering On a Kill Pot

diablo175

Question

Ran into an issue with my latest bit of upgrading- I installed a 500K Kill pot (kill switch and audio taper pot combined) but am having a devil of time making it work- right now, I'm getting  massive noise when I try it out thru and amp. The tuner doesn't get a clear signal from it.

Questions: When soldering ground wires (bare and green) from both p'ups,  is it a no-no to solder both to the same spot on the pot?

Since the Shadow brand killpots don't have metal bases, is it okay to solder to the metal sides of the pot instead? There are two(2) ground holes on the base but they're MUCH too small for the combined mass of the green and bare wires, let alone 2 sets of them.

2 answers to this question

You can solder to the metal can side of the Shadow pot to make ground from the pic of one I just saw online ...

qvbcnf3axa3yi58u719p.jpg

and think of ground as a circuit. Green and bare can be together, separate, set to ground on different pots, as long as they are in the ground circuit. Ground is ground :) 

3 hours ago, Jeff R said:

You can solder to the metal can side of the Shadow pot to make ground from the pic of one I just saw online ...

qvbcnf3axa3yi58u719p.jpg

and think of ground as a circuit. Green and bare can be together, separate, set to ground on different pots, as long as they are in the ground circuit. Ground is ground :) 

Yeah, Shane had the same exact input. After 5 hours of wrestling with wires and soldering and re-soldering,  Shane's methodical and timely assistance via texting was rather welcome. I had to settle for a draw. I have musical sounds coming through but a metric shit ton of feedback and hum. Somewhere a ground is fubar. The schematics for the kill pot are absolute crap and useless, too.

Archived