Hamer Fan Club Message Center

NAD - Budda SD 18 Combo and a question.

LucSulla

Bought a pre-Peavey SD 18 Budda, and it was exactly what I have been looking for, though I will miss the Sock Monkey's somewhat smaller footprint and definitely lighter weight.  

So y'all know all about these, and it's as good as advertised.  The amp was in excellent shape, but UPS managed to tear the speaker cloth.  They clearly, at some point, had the box on the side and stacked it.  The friction cut about a 3 inch slash where the top of amp support brace was rubbing on the grill.  

I have zero faith that UPS will do a damned thing about it, and the amp was purchased for way too good a deal to send back.  What I really want to do is just remove the speaker grill and patch the cloth from behind so that it doesn't have a visible tear and is reinforced against further tearing.  I also no next to nothing about the various ways baffles sit in cabinets.  Do any of you guys have any experience with this - @bubs_42 maybe?

And while I have invoked his name,  Bubs, what the hell was it that this amp wouldn't do that you needed, haha?  It's a whole lot tone in one, somewhat small package. 

The EAST is the evolution of the Budda. If you know a good tech they can add the balance mod and second volume control to the back panel. That will give you a master on both channels, but then again, I like to crank the first channel on the Budda, they sound great. 

I'm still thinking of getting another SD30 to replace my extra East, they are a great amps. I went in a giant circle before coming back to the Jeff Bober sound. 

On 8/14/2018 at 3:52 AM, bubs_42 said:

If you know a good tech they can add the balance mod and second volume control to the back panel. That will give you a master on both channels. 

Totally unnecessary. The SD18 is fine just the way it is. 

1 hour ago, RobB said:

Totally unnecessary. The SD18 is fine just the way it is. 

Just like good tone,  its all subjective. If he finds that he cannot balance the sound out then its necessary. I like to run that first channel hot and in some situations you can't do that with no master. If you like to really gain channel 2 up like some do then its hard to find balance in the two channels. Its exactly why Jeff did his next amps with two volumes and two masters. 

I haven't had any issue balancing the channels.  This amp is used 50% in practice situations as well.   The speaker grill tear is, however, driving me nuts.  It's not even a big tear, but it's just the fact that the amp is otherwise perfect. 

50 minutes ago, LucSulla said:

I haven't had any issue balancing the channels.  This amp is used 50% in practice situations as well.   The speaker grill tear is, however, driving me nuts.  It's not even a big tear, but it's just the fact that the amp is otherwise perfect. 

Black or Oxblood?

2 hours ago, LucSulla said:

The speaker grill tear is, however, driving me nuts.  It's not even a big tear, but it's just the fact that the amp is otherwise perfect. 

Don't worry about it, bro. Think of it as the one wrong stich in a Navajo blanket.

The only way to make it perfect is to re-grille it, which will be a total PITA and a money/time waster. Let it be.

A good upholstery shop can replace the grill cloth for about $40 if you provide the material.   Basketweave Marshall style cloth would look outstanding on a Budda.

7 hours ago, BadgerDave said:

A good upholstery shop can replace the grill cloth for about $40 if you provide the material.   Basketweave Marshall style cloth would look outstanding on a Budda.

That is pretty much what they used on the 6V6 Versions of the Superdrive.  

7 hours ago, LucSulla said:

Oxblood I would say.

What Badger said, if it bothers you enough. I wrapped a couple of grills, but it was pretty tough getting them pull tight enough and even. I can be done, or you can take it some where. The Oxblood Era Budda is my favorite look. 

Archived