Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Did PayPal Start Charging for “friends/family?”

RobB

did The friend or family member fund the generous “gift”with a credit card?    If so I believe there is a fee for one of the parties.          Also, I’ve heard if you have an inoordinate amount of gift payments they can remove that feature.   Ran into someone who couldn’t take gift because he’d been flagged 

8 hours ago, DaveL said:

did The friend or family member fund the generous “gift”with a credit card?    If so I believe there is a fee for one of the parties.          Also, I’ve heard if you have an inoordinate amount of gift payments they can remove that feature.   Ran into someone who couldn’t take gift because he’d been flagged 

Huh. Looks like the feature has been removed. Guess that can happen when you game the system. 

A warning would have been nice, though.

12 minutes ago, RobB said:

Huh. Looks like the feature has been removed. Guess that can happen when you game the system. 

A warning would have been nice, though.

Why should they be nice to jags who game the system?

I believe that if you have a business account, you may always get charged. Also, generally a free transfer MUST be from a bank account to their paypal account. If a credit card is involved, there is always a fee.

This might explain something that just happened to me and my bandmates.  Our singer got a check for a gig which he deposited and then paid the other three of us through PP.  Two of us received a slightly lesser amount than the other one, but the singer had transferred the the same amount to all of us - the fees appeared to be coming out of the recipient's gross.  Our singer ended up giving us the difference which just meant HE took the hit on the fees.  We could not figure out why one of us did not have the fees taken out.

29 minutes ago, Ting Ho Dung said:

Got some free cash the other day.

And the lady in the bar asked if I was free. She wasn't.

(No cash changed hands).

There's no need to game the system anymore.  A few of the no-fee payment options that are at least as secure and efficient as Paypal include Apple Pay Cash, Google Pay, Venmo, Zelle, etc.  Most are as simple as sending a text message.

I like Zelle because it's bank to bank and the money transfer is as close to immediate as you can get without paying cash.

1 hour ago, tbonesullivan said:

I believe that if you have a business account, you may always get charged. Also, generally a free transfer MUST be from a bank account to their paypal account. If a credit card is involved, there is always a fee.

This ^^

1 hour ago, shankyboy said:

I use that feature on a weekly basis to pay the other members of my band for gigs with no problem. 

If they see the same transaction over and over then they realize this is legit. It's when you have a lot of different people sending you money of different amounts that gets their attention. Or you sending different amounts to a bunch of people. 

Also, in case you didn't know, if you have 200 sales transactions and they are combined to $20,000 or more, they will 1099 you. Not saying I would do this but this would be a case where you open an account under an alias and don't link a bank account so they can't get your SS number. Just a heads up. 

4 hours ago, Ting Ho Dung said:

If they see the same transaction over and over then they realize this is legit. It's when you have a lot of different people sending you money of different amounts that gets their attention. Or you sending different amounts to a bunch of people. 

Also, in case you didn't know, if you have 200 sales transactions and they are combined to $20,000 or more, they will 1099 you. Not saying I would do this but this would be a case where you open an account under an alias and don't link a bank account so they can't get your SS number. Just a heads up. 

Yeah, I would be happy to get a 1099 if I made 20K off of gigging in 1 year. :) 

On 8/15/2018 at 5:01 PM, Ting Ho Dung said:

More chicanery. Is everyone on the internet a lying, deceitful scumbag these days? If you're doing that much volume by selling shit, you're running a resale business, and you should be taxed as such. If you can't pay the price of poker, get out of the game.

On 8/18/2018 at 1:44 PM, MCChris said:

More chicanery. Is everyone on the internet a lying, deceitful scumbag these days? If you're doing that much volume by selling shit, you're running a resale business, and you should be taxed as such. If you can't pay the price of poker, get out of the game.

I'm not sure what you are talking about. A guy at a show told me he gets a 1099 from PP each year. His name is Bill Albright and lives in Atlanta. You can call him and talk about it. And it surprised me since I've never gotten one so when I did some research I found out why. I have nowhere near that kind of volume. So I called another friend who does a lot of business and he said he doesn't get a 1099. After researching he said he makes more than 20k but doesn't have 200 transactions. So I guess you have to have both to get a 1099. So if you are gigging for $400 a night you would have to gig 200 nights a year. That's a lot of gigging.

Archived