Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Korina Artist - P90 or HB and why.

New2Ham

Good question. Tough one for me to answer though. I LIKE 'EM BOTH! Depending on the day, the song and the amp, they both have their proper place. Some guys will tell you that the pickups suck. I guess because Seymour Duncan isn't booooootiquey enough anymore. But I think they work pretty well. I usually prefer SDs over the pickups offered as stock in F, G or PRS guitars

I must admit, I live a sheltered life and don't get to play a large selection of the same guitar. But the Korina Artist has been my favorite from the moment I played my 1st one. I liked the humbucker model so well that I had to try the P90 version. Just to see which one I liked best. Still can't answer the question. "Depending on the day, the song and the amp, they both have their proper place."

Sorry I couldn't help. I hope someone can give you a more definitive reply.

D

My Artist KorinaHB was my first Hamer and it is my favorite guitar ever...the neck is just perfect.

You cannot go wrong with either. I have had various single coil and HB pickups in mine over the years and have settled on a pair of Firebird pups which fit the guitar perfectly.

I had some HB sized P90s in her for a while but when I want the P90s sound, it needs to be in a slab of hog with REAL P90s.

Get one. Whichever. Or both. Doesn’t really matter cause it is Hamer quality and you’ll love it.

2 hours ago, Hbom said:

Good question. Tough one for me to answer though. I LIKE 'EM BOTH! Depending on the day, the song and the amp, they both have their proper place. Some guys will tell you that the pickups suck. I guess because Seymour Duncan isn't booooootiquey enough anymore. But I think they work pretty well. I usually prefer SDs over the pickups offered as stock in F, G or PRS guitars

I must admit, I live a sheltered life and don't get to play a large selection of the same guitar. But the Korina Artist has been my favorite from the moment I played my 1st one. I liked the humbucker model so well that I had to try the P90 version. Just to see which one I liked best. Still can't answer the question. "Depending on the day, the song and the amp, they both have their proper place."

Sorry I couldn't help. I hope someone can give you a more definitive reply.

D

I bought a P90 version and like it very much. It has a different tone/sound but as Hbom says: "Depending on the day, the song and the amp...."

There is a special magic, when you crank the amp, between that small tone chamber and the P90 pickups. It just makes the P90's excell in a great way. Not really the same sensation with humbuckers, but the Artist HB has a good vibe too.

I sold my Korina Artist HB. Mostly because the neck was to fat for me, and I have a bunch of humbucker guitars that are equally great. The chambering on that guitar did not do much for me, more than the fact that the f-hole looks cool. I never missed that guitar.

My mahogany Artist with P90's is a keeper. The chambering makes the P90's sound bigger, livelier and there is a vibe to the guitar that is hard to explain. It has that "it" thing. One of the best P90 guitars I've ever played. It compares to a late 60's SG I had the opportunity to play that was owned and used by a well known guitarist on a Frank Marino tribute album. It really sounds like old wood and it resonates like a dirty, unclean and snotty bell. 

Archived