Hamer Fan Club Message Center

CITES Information

A few months ago, I submitted an application to establish a master file with the Dept. of Fish & Wildlife to export guitars containing rosewood (Brazilian and other). I did this in conjunction with a sale that fell apart hours after the application was submitted. No reason not to follow through now.

I just received a response from FWS that surprised me. Looks like the applicable date for non-Brazilian rosewood isn't 1/2/17, rather it's 2/12/08. Here's the response I received from them:

"Although it it true that all species of CITES appendix II rosewoods had a change in conditions and/or listing status on January 2, 2017, Please understand that some CITES Appendix II rosewoods were first listed in CITES on February 12, 2008.  Therefore, please confirm if the following meets your request for a master file:

1. To export guitars only containing CITES appendix II rosewoods (Dalbergia spp.) that can be documented by serial number to have been imported into the United States and manufactured prior to February 12, 2008. 
  2. To export guitars only containing Brazilian rosewood (Dalbergia nigra) that can be documented by serial number to have been imported into the United States and manufactured prior to June 11, 1992."

Looks like I'll get my master file established soon, though it won't be as robust as I originally thought. May never use it, but now I'll be able to have the option to ship some guitars internationally with the proper documentation.

3 hours ago, currypowder said:

but now I'll be able to have the option to ship some guitars internationally with the proper documentation. 

That sounds good. I may ask for your shipping service one time in the future. B)

But it is true. There are several versions of CITES that list different woods of the same species.

4 minutes ago, gorch said:

That sounds good. I may ask for your shipping service one time in the future. B)

But it is true. There are several versions of CITES that list different woods of the same species.

Absolutely! My master file, once approved, is good for 2 years and I can get as many individual export certificates as I need. I'm starting with 3.

• 1 month later...

I did reach out to my contact at Fish & Wildlife and she confirmed that my permit and certificates have been drafted and forwarded to the supervisor for approval. I have no idea what that really means in terms of the timing, but it's good to know that it is (slowly) progressing.

Archived