Hamer Fan Club Message Center

NGD 1991 Centaura

essgee

I’ve been eyeing this one for a while, and finally the price went down to where I couldn’t keep saying no. 

It has been beaten, clearly out of love and passion.  Some say it ain’t pretty, but it sure plays!

Heck, this one looks like it’s had a few trips around the block - could it have been owned by another HFC member?

CDB2F1D3-E4CC-4A14-AD7F-797AE5BAD7D6.jpeg

Congrats. You need to save it from that yellow clown humbucker. And put the singlecoils back in it. These came mostly with a Duncan JB in the bridge, not f-spaced. And two Duncan SSL1's. They also had a "fat switch" which looks like someone removed on your guitar. It is some kind of passive midrange filter, can be useful for soloing etc. You might be able to find an original schematic for it here on the HFC.

1 hour ago, Disturber said:

Congrats. You need to save it from that yellow clown humbucker. And put the singlecoils back in it. These came mostly with a Duncan JB in the bridge, not f-spaced. And two Duncan SSL1's. They also had a "fat switch" which looks like someone removed on your guitar. It is some kind of passive midrange filter, can be useful for soloing etc. You might be able to find an original schematic for it here on the HFC.

Fat switch is still there, it's just so hard to see because of the granite finish :) 

Anyone who's played and owned Centauras very well know that they're super solid and extremely underrated guitars. Congrats for the purchase.

4 hours ago, Uluc Akay said:

Fat switch is still there, it's just so hard to see because of the granite finish :)

Anyone who's played and owned Centauras very well know that they're super solid and extremely underrated guitars. Congrats for the purchase.

Yes, the fat switch is there - it looks like it has been super-glued into it's location and there is no nut keeping it there.  It is also completely disconnected from anything.  The only electronics that are actually wired up are the volume pot and the output jack.

I'll be looking for those schematics...

1 hour ago, DBraz said:

Underrated guitars Centaura’s.  Congrats!

I almost bought one back around 1992, but I bought a Californian instead.  A choice I don't regret, but I can't believe it's taken me this long to get around to getting one!

Congrats!! I always thought the necks were too thin, I trued twice years ago, but they are sweet guitars. I should have kept one of my Diablos, a 1994 non-reversed headstock model in trans red. Nice medium C neck. Of course I sold that too. More GAS!!

I, too vacillated back-and-forth on whether to acquire that. Finally decided it really needed to have a maple board for me to pull the trigger. Insignificant and inconsequential issues like the color of the p’up did not factor into that whatsoever. 😜

1 hour ago, diablo175 said:

I, too vacillated back-and-forth on whether to acquire that. Finally decided it really needed to have a maple board for me to pull the trigger. Insignificant and inconsequential issues like the color of the p’up did not factor into that whatsoever. 😜

I kind of like the pickup color (and it sounds pretty good) - but I will likely replace it with something black (or white).  My major complaint about it is that it isn't F-spaced and the high E string is pretty far away from the pole magnets.  I can't tell when I listen to it, but aesthetically it bugs me.

I got it for $550.  It isn't $350, but it was close enough.

2 hours ago, essgee said:

I kind of like the pickup color (and it sounds pretty good) - but I will likely replace it with something black (or white).  My major complaint about it is that it isn't F-spaced and the high E string is pretty far away from the pole magnets.  I can't tell when I listen to it, but aesthetically it bugs me.

I got it for $550.  It isn't $350, but it was close enough.

$550 is less than what I paid for mine! But aesthetics be damned on the pickup pole pieces lining up with strings- the JB-L in my Cent kicks ass so, I can live with the misaligned pole pieces. 😀

FF9ED547-5DAE-400E-8BAA-AD4C03FE12BE.jpeg

11 hours ago, diablo175 said:

$550 is less than what I paid for mine! But aesthetics be damned on the pickup pole pieces lining up with strings- the JB-L in my Cent kicks ass so, I can live with the misaligned pole pieces. 😀

That looks more like lens refraction than anything else.

11 hours ago, diablo175 said:

I need a full body shot of that bad boy! :)

46 minutes ago, jim777 said:

I need a full body shot of that bad boy! :)

50 minutes ago, DBraz said:

That looks more like lens refraction than anything else.

Perhaps to a degree but they’re still misaligned 

Jim777- behold  the diablo-cized,  Stike-icized Cent!

E1182A7D-4EA3-4EEF-9A10-891272CD2849.jpeg

Just now, jim777 said:

Dayumm...that is insane!

Really quite pleased with this beauty. I daresay had I discovered a USA Cent years ago, I might be a Cent fanatic now instead of Cali fanatic...

Nah, just kidding. 😂 Kickass guitars all the same! 

Just now, DBraz said:

Nothing like an insane Centaura

EF975701-EE28-48E6-BDA8-95DF48F65576.jpeg

Quite frankly, this was a large part of the inspiration that got me to do the Cent! Beauty!!!

1 hour ago, essgee said:

DBraz and diablo175 - where did you guys get these things painted?  They are both so insanely good that my brain stopped working for awhile when I was gazing upon them...

Stike at Rowyko Kustoms

Archived