Hamer Fan Club Message Center

R.I.P. Aretha Franklin

One CD I've never purchased (and should have) was Aretha--Live at Fillmore West.  Arguably the best live soul album ever, and it included a reprise of "Spirit in the Dark" w/ Ray Charles.

And now, Don't Fight the Feeling, that four-CD collection of complete Fillmore West recordings (w/ King Curtis) looks awful tempting, all of a sudden.

I bet the bulk of that Billboard article was already in stasis, w/ the details of the passing and funeral arrangements dropped in. Nothin' wrong with that kind of journalistic pre-planning, particularly if it's widely known that someone is in a terminal slide. For that matter, around the time we called in hospice for my father, I wrote some remarks while "still waiting" that were ultimately presented at his funeral.

The Billboard  article is well-written, IMO.

Jeffro enlightened me about such "bios on ice" (my term, not his) about a dozen years ago.

34 minutes ago, Willie G. Moseley said:

I bet the bulk of that Billboard article was already in stasis, w/ the details of the passing and funeral arrangements dropped in. Nothin' wrong with that kind of journalistic pre-planning, particularly if it's widely known that someone is in a terminal slide.

Common practice for media outlets. The obits for most if not all well-known people are 99.9% written.

R.I.P. , true Queen!

Check out the Muscle Shoals documentary. It might still be on Netflix. Some great stories about Aretha, and a funny anecdote about when Rick Hall tried to throw Arethas husband from a balcony. Not quite sober. 

And buy the Aretha box set if you don't have it already. It's mandatory in any record collection. 

From the Billboard obit:

"She won critical acclaim for her vocal versatility when she stepped in for opera star Luciano Pavarotti at the 1998 Grammy Awards to sing the aria “Nessun Dorma.”".

Could Pavarotti, for all his talent, cover for her on "Chain of Fools"?  Doubt it.

In the last weeks or months I have seen several celebrity passings. What can I say, TDC!

1 hour ago, Steve Haynie said:

What is it?  Is that a different person in the background photo?

12 minutes ago, cynic said:

Patti LaBelle

Those people all look the same to Fox News.

Archived