Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Hamers with top-mounted floyds?

DarrenD

Was this an option back then?  For those unfamiliar of floyd rose lingo, it's when the tremolo is sitting flush against the wood on the body and can only do dive-bombs.  I mostly see recessed floyds on Hamers, or if they are non-recessed (like my 24.75" chap), they are still not top-mounted or can rest on the body.

All Hamer guitars equipped with Floyd Rose trems until somewhere in 1987 had their trems non-recessed which was regular practice with most manufacturers then. I saw the recessed routing at first on Steve Vai's green Charvel. He may have had it earlier, but he made the magazines when he joined DLR, shortly thereafter he had the JEM and many manufacturers including Hamer had the FR recessed by then. Hamer had the non-recessed FR mounted on the body quite high, so the pull-ups might work like on a guitar with recessed FR. But they also used the studs that went directly into the wood.

Well, the concept is, that it doesn't work as a flush mounted trem. I thought, you just meant non-recessed. You can't screw in the studs that deep so that the trem sits flush on the guitar body, since you can't adjust individual saddle height. If you would let the locking screws have contact with the wood, the angle of the baseplate might be terribly wrong and having the locking screws have contact with the body will end up having dents in the finish, apart from having to give up the finetuners since they bring the locking screws into different heights. You only want pull downs? The trem stop is the best solution.

The neck angle is the important factor in decked FRs. Since you cant adjust the saddle heights, it has to be correct. Music Man supplies neck shims for those who want to experiment with action.

I prefer decked trems. I don't care for the silly, tremolo histrionics that some players indulge in on floating FRs, but that's just me. I'll take the intonation and string-bending of a decked trem any day of the week.

Correct - I'm talking about floyds sitting against the body.  Most Hamers that have non-recessed floyds are not able to be "decked" or rest against the body due to the neck angles.  If I tried top-mount the floyd on my non-recessed 24.75" chap, the strings would hit the pickups.  I figured there would maybe be some Steve Stevens models with a naturally decked floyd, considering this was his preference (much like EVH), but it seems that isn't the case.  

Not saying either way is better - Just interested in seeing if it exists on any Hamer.  

I remember seeing a white Kramer Baretta/EVH style Hamer one-off some years back on this board.  It had one-pickup (maybe slanted?) and possibly a maple fretboard.  Does anyone remember this or have pictures of it?  I would be interested to see if that one had a decked floyd.

Archived