Hamer Fan Club Message Center

ZZTop last Tuesday night

spanky

Saw ZZ last Tuesday (sans Fogerty at this gig). They were not engaged at all, like they hit auto pilot, and skipped sound check. The distortion was similar to the cheap noname 200 watt amp in my old Camaro, mostly distorted and wicked loud, crap quality. Frank Beard looked like he couldn't wait to get off the stage and the guys lacked enthusism to say the least. It was disappointing....

Conversely, I saw them in the 80's and they put on a great show. I know it was a long time ago, but I was hoping for a bit of that groove and showmanship. This time, the only thing memorable in a good way was Billy's custom SG's with V style headstocks.

Pity, that. Seen ZZT a handful of times in the last two decades and to say they were, "going through the motions/phoning it in" would be generous, at best. A lot of midi/ProTools generated from FOH, sequencers, triggered drums, etc.

Can't say I blame them. They play what the crowd wants to hear, do their dance moves, walk off and get paid. I'm in the minority (obviously), as I would LOVE to hear them play, "Blue Jean Blues", "Apologies to Pearly", "Jesus Just Left...", "Just Got Paid", et al. Sad fact is, savvy businessmen don't play to the minority, and, why should they?

MTV saved and killed ZZ all at the same time. The ripping band from, "Fandango" has been laid to rest for eternity, sadly.

That’s a shame. Sadly it happens a lot with those great bands from the 70’s. Age catches up and or it becomes just a paycheck for them. IMO the ones from that era that are not phoning it in would be Judas Priest, Cheap Trick, Iron Maiden and Alice Cooper. They still play it like they mean it. 

I saw them in 2010. Pretty much the same experience. Perhaps not that bad, but it is not a gig I thought was worth the admission price I paid. I had a feeling it would be kinda lame, but I thought I wanted to see them one last time. Saw them in 1986, out door arena, that was way more fun.

This is bad news.  My last experience with ZZ Top was more positive.  My seat was four rows back, and Jeff Beck jammed with them.  It never felt like a bad show, just an older band. 

RobB has a point.  If ZZ Top had not had the big MTV era hits they would be playing large clubs and digging into their catalog a little deeper. 

AS for '70s bands that are "not phoning it in"; i.e., still putting on an exuberant performance, I'd add Styx. Maybe REO Speedwagon too, and Foreigner might qualify for some fans, even if they've got an alternate lead singer and, at times, zero original members onstage. Caveat emptor for concertgoers...

First show I ever saw in 74. Stunning. Saw them again for Deguello, El Loco and finally Eliminator. Now, It's one trip in the time machine I'm not interested in taking. Saw them on Tonight Show during the Leno years and it matched these comments for scripted performances. 

OTOH, Stike's review of Tom Jones show in Myrtle Beach sounds like a jewel in comparison. Though I doubt he's out there pounding it out like he used to... 

Paraphrasing his concert review comment was something along the lines of, "I was the only dude at the show that could piss in a steady stream in the Men's room"

It's out there somewhere if we're willing to seek it out. Can't wait for Jason Isbell to come back to town.

Steve 

1 hour ago, Willie G. Moseley said:

AS for '70s bands that are "not phoning it in"; i.e., still putting on an exuberant performance, I'd add Styx. Maybe REO Speedwagon too, and Foreigner might qualify for some fans, even if they've got an alternate lead singer and, at times, zero original members onstage. Caveat emptor for concertgoers...

I like the lead singer from Foreigner but Mick Jones to me falls into the same category that ZZ Top finds themselves in. Saw some videos and they are adding a whole lot of tape to his guitar parts. 

The guitarist for REO really punches things up for them. They reason why I like Priest, Cheap Trick and Alice is not only are they still vibrant on stage, they still have a passion for writing new music and recording it too. Guess I need to throw Deep Purple on that list. 

I feel like this acceptable under some conditions. 

If they genuinely love playing live together still, even if they are pretty terrible, fine.  They earned it.  Or if maybe they recognize things ain't what they were but they still love playing these songs for people who love them and will continue to do so as long as it makes financial sense, then fine too.  

If some or all of them invested poorly and have felt the bite of the decline revenue generated from intellectual property and need to tour to stay afloat, then I get that.  It's sadder than the above, but it happens.  I can't hate them for making a living doing what they know how to do. 

However, if it's just doing it as a cash grab, while they have every right to do it, I also have every right to pity their tarnishing what they were for a few pesos.  

22 hours ago, princeofdarkness56 said:

They reason why I like Priest, Cheap Trick and Alice is not only are they still vibrant on stage, they still have a passion for writing new music and recording it too. Guess I need to throw Deep Purple on that list. 

Add Queen + AL to the list too. They deliver fantastically for years. And still have 2.5 originals on stage. Count Spike Edney .5 as he’s the inofficial fan-approved long time 5th member.

21 minutes ago, spanky said:

I have seen STYX a few times the last few years and they put on a great show everytime. 

Agreed, saw them for free with REO and Don Felder last year. Styx seemed to have the most youthful-type energy of the 3 but all were enjoyable. Here's one from their last album...I think it's quite rockin', a great tune!

RE: Citations of other groups besides ZZ TOP: The references to REO made me recall I had another decent photo of Dave Amato taken at the same Styx-REO-Felder show from which I'd posted some images here back in April. Here 'tis, + a previously-unposted image of the Reverend Gibbons to remain faithful to the thread...

Amato.JPG

BFG.JPG

Archived