Hamer Fan Club Message Center

DGS Photos

I have been looking at a guitar recently and the seller has chosen to reuse photos from DGS (Dave's Guitar Shop).  I can see flaws in the back but they are really difficult to see and I am wondering if flaws on the top are also there. It almost appears like they are glamour shots with mood lighting. Has anyone purchased a guitar from DGS and been surprised?  

I have purchased several guitars from Dave's and have never had a problem.

I wouldn't touch that Studio you're referring to with a 10' pole, however.
This guy bought the guitar for $995 and listed it for sale the next day for $1500.
Sure, everyone is entitled to make whatever they can make, but get the guitar in your hands first before you start spouting off about how awesome it is, how well it plays, etc.

He has still yet to even post a cheap cell phone picture of it since he received it. For all we know it's still in the shipping box, broken in shipping.

21 minutes ago, kizanski said:

This guy bought the guitar for $995 and listed it for sale the next day for $1500.
Sure, everyone is entitled to make whatever they can make, but get the guitar in your hands first before you start spouting off about how awesome it is, how well it plays, etc.

He has still yet to even post a cheap cell phone picture of it since he received it. For all we know it's still in the shipping box, broken in shipping.

That is the one, and with the marks that I see on the back, I am wondering how the top could be unscaved.  I don't mind the guy making some money, but the fact that he is also flipping the pics that sold him the guitar has me a bit concerned.  

5 minutes ago, bigolsparky said:

That is the one, and with the marks that I see on the back, I am wondering how the top could be unscaved.  I don't mind the guy making some money, but the fact that he is also flipping the pics that sold him the guitar has me a bit concerned.  

Don't misunderstand - I'm sure it was 100% when it left La Crosse, Wisconsin, but I don't trust this motherfucker at all.

1 hour ago, bigolsparky said:

I have been looking at a guitar recently and the seller has chosen to reuse photos from DGS (Dave's Guitar Shop).  I can see flaws in the back but they are really difficult to see and I am wondering if flaws on the top are also there. It almost appears like they are glamour shots with mood lighting. Has anyone purchased a guitar from DGS and been surprised?  

Ask the guy to provide photos of the guitar that aren't the previous seller's.

3 hours ago, kizanski said:

THIS ^^^^^^^

There was a minor dust-up on TGP over the accuracy of photos on Dave's website.  The accuser implied that the photos were enhanced to make a flametop look better than it actually was, IIRC.

I've done many deals with Dave and his staff and I am extremely confident that they would not intentionally do anything deceptive.  My take on the controversy was that they got some new equipment and a photographer that was good at showing guitars in the best light - literally.  I do not believe that they would cover up, or fail to show, any significant flaws.

One of the great things about Dave's is that they will refund or exchange anything you're not happy with.  The guy who's flipping the Studio probably won't, so I'd be asking for new photos If I felt the price warranted it.

Good luck

32 minutes ago, bigolsparky said:

I have posed the question on his "for sale" thread...we shall see.

His M/O is to list the guitar for a few days, and then once a question is asked about the photos or "...wasn't that the one just for sale at Dave's?" he deletes the thread and starts over.
I'd wager requesting photos of the guitar in normal light will be the demise of his latest thread.

2 hours ago, BadgerDave said:

There was a minor dust-up on TGP over the accuracy of photos on Dave's website.  The accuser implied that the photos were enhanced to make a flametop look better than it actually was, IIRC.

I've done many deals with Dave and his staff and I am extremely confident that they would not intentionally do anything deceptive.  My take on the controversy was that they got some new equipment and a photographer that was good at showing guitars in the best light - literally.  I do not believe that they would cover up, or fail to show, any significant flaws.

One of the great things about Dave's is that they will refund or exchange anything you're not happy with.  The guy who's flipping the Studio probably won't, so I'd be asking for new photos If I felt the price warranted it.

Good luck

"Simple question: Why did you lie about the condition of the guitar?"

Where is this guitar listed? Links?

I've seen this more than a few times on reverb and ebay. I often wonder why DGS doesn't just list things on reverb at a slight upcharge for the fees.

58 minutes ago, tbonesullivan said:

Where is this guitar listed? Links?

I've seen this more than a few times on reverb and ebay. I often wonder why DGS doesn't just list things on reverb at a slight upcharge for the fees.

As far as I can tell, DGS also posts their used guitars and amps on Reverb in parallel with what is already on their website.  The only difference that I can tell between their website listings and their Reverb listings, is that Reverb requires a shipping price be listed.  Of course, once somebody buys their gear, both their website listing and their Reverb listing is gone quickly, too.

Speaking of DGS photos, they've got three separate locations now in Wisconsin...the main store in LaCrosse, a shop in Milwaukee, and a shop in Madison.  Each appears to take their own photos, of whatever gear they have at each shop, and there's subtle differences in the photos from each location, regardless of what gear it is.  The main store has the full photo setup, where the other shops may not.  For awhile, when the Milwaukee shop first opened, it kinda looked like they were taking photos in a draped corner of that store, the photos were good but not nearly at the same level as the photos taken at the LaCrosse shop.

Here's the original PSA thread for this guitar, if you missed out on all the fun the first time.  Apparently the guy who bought it from DGS tends to de-list and re-list it frequently, especially when he's asked questions, see Kiz's post above about this guy's MO:

Well, at least the flipper isn't based out of Michigan...

I wish there was a way to flag sellers who do things like that. While a higher hamer resale price is always nice,  people getting duped is not.

One thing about DGS is that you certainly can call them or e-mail them questions and they'll get back to you promptly with straightforward answers.  But this guy is not DGS.  If you  don't get legit pics from this sketchy profiteer, you're taking a chance IMHO.  It's your money.  Do what you want with it. 

Archived