Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Review of Import Hamers in Guitar Player

Dana_V

I posted this on Facebook, but I'll put it here too.

There's a review of two of the new Hamer-branded guitars in the October issue of Guitar Player magazine. Apart from pointing out that both test models needed some setup adjustment out of the box, Dave Hunter's review is mostly positive.

However, this line made me chuckle a little: "...fans of the style and attitude that Joel [sic] Dantzig and Paul Hamer founded back in 1973 are likely to receive these affordable creations with a welcoming smile."

Not so sure about that welcoming smile, Dave.

IMG_1340.JPG

6 minutes ago, Dana_V said:

However, this line made me chuckle a little: "...fans of the style and attitude that Joel [sic] Dantzig and Paul Hamer founded back in 1973 are likely to receive these affordable creations with a welcoming smile."

Not so sure about that welcoming smile, Dave.

Yeah, WTF is he basing that on?

I haven't read the article so I'm talking out my you know what when I say this

but...

I would probably try one of those Sunburst Flat Tops

If it had a double cream bridge pickup and a sustain block bridge.

:D

Or in my case, if I didn’t already have a Slammer Series flattop with Gravelin’s in it (and I’m willing to forgive its TOM and stop tailpiece). 

11 minutes ago, cynic said:

It's been years since I subscribed to any of the mags, but over the last couple decades I can't remember seeing a single negative review from them for anything I researched.

You ain't gonna get those ad bucks by dishing out a negative review. I don't know GP but in 30 years of marketing, I've learned that even pubs with supposedly sturdy walls between editorial and advertising aren't above a little pay to play.

Just more import Hamers, more or less the same as the previous import Hamers. There are pictures of Lzzy Hale with an import model back in the 90s.

Honestly, if it helps more people find out about the history of the REAL Hamer, that isn't a bad thing.

1 hour ago, tbonesullivan said:

Honestly, if it helps more people find out about the history of the REAL Hamer, that isn't a bad thing.

Explain how it would be a good thing?

Yeah, maybe it'll bump up prices for those looking to sell... I suppose that would stink if you're looking to buy. I'm not so sure whether to view that as glass half full or glass half empty or just pour me another drink. 

A generation that does not know Hamer will not know it if the name is not thrown around for them.  They can start looking for used Hamers and find out that there were expensive USA models. 

Those new Indonesian guitars are nice.  I would gladly give one to each of you if I could afford it.  If you would like to see that happen you are welcome to send donations for me to buy a magic lottery ticket. :)

8 hours ago, polara said:

You ain't gonna get those ad bucks by dishing out a negative review. I don't know GP but in 30 years of marketing, I've learned that even pubs with supposedly sturdy walls between editorial and advertising aren't above a little pay to play.

Agree, Have long suspected hijinks when hamer used to buy the back cover and they win an editor’s choice after what must have been an extremely thorough nationwide search!!!

I don’t like it any more than you guys, but in the writer’s defense, he does make it pretty clear these aren’t USA Hamers.  As far as a “welcoming smile”, I already have 11 USA Hamers, so it would be more of a “gee..  thanks...  Where can I hide THIS?”

15 hours ago, gtrdaddy said:

Pretty much.

However, there are some very limited "master builder" models that are hand crafted in NY, the same as John made them, that have been very well received. Eric Clapton plays one of their Master Builder "Style B" models. They, as opposed to the Asian guitars, are top shelf. I've also read that some of the Asian models aren't too bad, but much like XT Hamers and any other import Hamer, real D'Angelico they ain't.

Yeah, bring 'em on. If they do that, then I will more positive.

Archived