Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Saw Jeff Lynne's ELO Coupla Weeks Ago

RobB

Very much enjoyed the concert. Similar to the recent Roger Waters tour in that he had the most excellent side/wo/men with him. Two guitarists, two keyboardists, two INCREDIBLE back-up singers that carried the show, though everyone seemed to sing on most songs. Violinist and two cellists. Sounded like the strings were triggering MORE strings (or was that MIDI keys?). No matter, the sound was excellent and at a comfortable volume.

Played all the hits and one Wilbury's song. Not much interaction on Jeff's part with the audience, but I kind of expected that (David Lee Roth he ain't, LOL!). My only complaint was that I thought he left a lot on the table, i.e., early, deeper tracks, but that's a minor thing. Violinist came downstage and did the lovely intro to, "Livin' Thing", very cool.

Apologies for the short review. I'm no Haynie, that's fo' sho'. Yer gonna HATE my next one...

Interesting. Didn't know he would be touring at all. Have seen a cover band of one member of the follow-up ELO II incarnations last year. You can hear this music rarely life these years.

On 8/23/2018 at 2:50 PM, gorch said:

Interesting. Didn't know he would be touring at all. Have seen a cover band of one member of the follow-up ELO II incarnations last year. You can hear this music rarely life these years.

Two friends of mine play in The Orchestra (formerly "ELO II") - both are power pop luminaries too.   Parthenon Huxley (P.Hux) lives in my neighborhood and gave both of my kids guitar lessons for a few years. He does all of the Jeff L. parts (vocals/guitar), and has been with the band for over a dozen years.  Another friend from my home town, Cliff Hillis, is a utility fill-in guitarist with a lot of bands (the Hooters, Scandal, Starbelly, others) as well as being a solid talent in his own right.

I just caught the Orchestra when they played a rare local gig last month.  Really a lot of fun, and despite what the Muse would have you believe, solid songs and stellar musicianship. ;)

Caught the showtime version of it, I believe it’s streaming too.

My two cents are that I would probably love the band if all the string arrangements were a bad ass horn section instead, but that’s just me.

Plenty of tunes I didn’t know I knew were theirs, and all were really well done.

• 3 weeks later...

I saw them last night (Sept.18th 2018) in Hamburg, Germany at the Barclaycard Arena (16,000 seats- Sold Out!) and they did a great show! Hit after hit, all extremely well performed by a really tight, great 13-piece band! Very emotive visual show and impressive lights, Jeff Lynne is known to be a very humble guy who seems to be really bemused by the renewed interest in ELO (check out the BBC documentary: "Mr. Blue Sky: The Story Of Jeff Lynne & ELO") and yes he does come across as being a bit reserved on stage but the guy has written so many great songs, has worked with and Produced so many great bands including his personal idols: THE BEATLES (Free As A Bird, the 'virtual' reunion based on a demo by Lennon with just voice & piano then adding the rest of the track with George, Paul and Ringo!) as well as Tom Petty, Bob Dylan, Roy Orbison (all of course who were in the Traveling Wilburys together with George Harrison), Paul McCartney, Del Shannon and many more! Credit where credit is due, I had a great evening and so did 15,999 others who mostly sang along to a great selection of hits although there were many that they didn't play, I look forward to seeing them again sometime in the (hopefully) not so distant future...!

On 8/26/2018 at 4:41 PM, cmatthes said:

I just caught the Orchestra when they played a rare local gig last month.  Really a lot of fun, and despite what the Muse would have you believe, solid songs and stellar musicianship. ;)

There's no accounting for taste. Interpret that as you will.

On 8/26/2018 at 11:41 PM, cmatthes said:

Two friends of mine play in The Orchestra (formerly "ELO II") - both are power pop luminaries too.   Parthenon Huxley (P.Hux) lives in my neighborhood and gave both of my kids guitar lessons for a few years. He does all of the Jeff L. parts (vocals/guitar), and has been with the band for over a dozen years.  Another friend from my home town, Cliff Hillis, is a utility fill-in guitarist with a lot of bands (the Hooters, Scandal, Starbelly, others) as well as being a solid talent in his own right.

The band I saw is run by Phil Bates who is said having been a significant member of the ELO Part II from 1993-99.

2 hours ago, gtrdaddy said:

ELO is one of my favorite bands! Jeff Lynn's songwriting, arranging and production skills are legendary. You can hear a lot of Jeff Lynn's influence in CHEAP TRICK! Listen to the song Voices off of the Dream Police album. If you didn't know it was Cheap Trick, one would think it was ELO!

Cheap Trick and ELO are real Beatles follow-ups. Stylistically, both are so much into it that for some parts they are hard to separate from the originals. I'm totally with you on that gtrdaddy.

1 hour ago, gorch said:

The band I saw is run by Phil Bates who is said having been a significant member of the ELO Part II from 1993-99.

Hux took over when Mr. Bates left the band and has been with them since 1999 (they changed their name to "The Orchestra" ).  He does the Lynne parts and the rest of the band is/was Mik Kaminski, (the late) Kelly Groucutt, Eric Troyer, Glen Burtnik, Louis Clark and Gordon Townsend.

8 hours ago, cmatthes said:

(the late) Kelly Groucutt,

This reminds me that I still have Kelly’s solo album in the collection.

Just mailed with DaveX yesterday that I had bought DVD/Blu-ray with lots of old 70s concerts on it the other year. Always a nice watch.

Archived