Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Thanks to whoever posted a link to The Struts “Primadonna Like Me”

Jakeboy

What a great rockin’ song! As soon as it starts the ass gets a swingin’!  Great guitar and song. I hope the rest of the new album is like this. I bought the first album as a reaction. I hope it rocks like this.

Funny thing is I listened to clips off the Magpie Salute’s new album and was bored....then this song...my wife and I both started jamming and dancing in the family room.

Then I spun some GVF. 

I should LOVE Magpie Salute. GVF pisses me off with the Zep rip. But I have grown to love them, especially the treblebooster into a Marshall guitar tone.

...and the Struts be killin’ on this new tune.

it is wonderful to find new music by new bands that makes me feel like this. It’s like being 17 again.....and as some of you know, 17 is a l-o-n-g ways back in the rear view mirror.

I’ve seen The Struts 4 times now and am trekking from DC to Dewey Beach, DE next week to catch ‘em at a small club where I grew up and saw many other excellent bands.  They totally bring it live, and are easily one of the better original live acts going these days.  If you get the chance, SEE THIS BAND.

The (self proclaimed) greatest rock n’ roll bar in the world! 😜

the Bottle & Cork...

That’s what I thought ! I haven’t been there in a while and wasn’t sure if it was still open.

I have a gas station/liquor store here in Missouri that I frequent called the Cork & Bottle....somehow, its just not the same!

• 8 months later...

Reviving an ancient thread, but saw them at Shaky Knees last Saturday.

They are ridiculous.

Derivative.

Shameless retro-fetishists.

Should send royalty cheques (British) to Queen, AC/DC, and Mott the Hoople.

Dress like gypsy drag queens.

AND WERE FREAKIN' TERRIFIC. Damn, they put on a show and a half. Guitarist played a Les Paul Jr through a Vox head and two smaller cabs and had about the best live tone ever. Go see them.

Scrapple sandwich??? Oh hell to the yeah....mimosas for me in the morning though...or a screwdriver....

4 minutes ago, Ed Rechts said:

Actually, the more matched fight, music-wise, would be between The Struts and The Hives, both great NWOBP bands that love to crank a chimed and dimed Vox AC-30 TB in your face.

I lucked out and caught The Struts a couple of years ago at a private industry event in LA, and as I usually do, I pre-judged the band by the gear and the drumhead art that was set up before the show started. I was happy to be wrong about 3 chords into the first song. These guys kick ass. The singer looked like he was getting blown around the small stage by the volume, too, which is always appreciated as it lets me know they got skin in the game, especially when they are playing for free to a bunch of suits there to witness their investment.

Hey @cmatthes you sure your tix are for next week in Dewey? Although the band is on a mid-Atlantic leg, the B&C website says they're not scheduled to play until first week of August.

I'm in NOVA next week, maybe we can do another beach show? Hankering for some bloody marys and a scrapple sandwich....

Amp wise - you're right.  The Darkness has that Marshall/Wizard thing.  But  I'm not sure I get the camp vibe from the Hives that I do from the other two. Nor do I get that same blend of Queen/AC-DC/who knows what else from the Hives. Don't get me wrong, I love the Hives and in a fight, the Hives beat the other two by virtue of balls out rawk.

4 hours ago, Ed Rechts said:

Actually, the more matched fight, music-wise, would be between The Struts and The Hives, both great NWOBP bands that love to crank a chimed and dimed Vox AC-30 TB in your face.

I lucked out and caught The Struts a couple of years ago at a private industry event in LA, and as I usually do, I pre-judged the band by the gear and the drumhead art that was set up before the show started. I was happy to be wrong about 3 chords into the first song. These guys kick ass. The singer looked like he was getting blown around the small stage by the volume, too, which is always appreciated as it lets me know they got skin in the game, especially when they are playing for free to a bunch of suits there to witness their investment.

Hey @cmatthes you sure your tix are for next week in Dewey? Although the band is on a mid-Atlantic leg, the B&C website says they're not scheduled to play until first week of August.

I'm in NOVA next week, maybe we can do another beach show? Hankering for some bloody marys, a scrapple sandwich, and a scrapple sandwich....on the Underhill's tab, of course.

JT:

That was from my post last year - I DID actually see them at the Cork, and it was one of the sweatier nights in that place I can recall.  I've got tickets to see them again at the Cork on August 6th, 2019.  They're at the 930 the next night too...

Give me a shout when you're in town.  Not sure if I'm making it to the greater Dewey Beach area this weekend - weather looks kinda shitty, and not a lot of great music pre-season down there yet.  

Archived