Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Do these 2 things look the same to you?

hamerhead

Question

So I bought an Epiphone ES-135 from a guy in California. It's 'near mint' with one gash in the body, but no other issues whatsoever (like new!). It arrives like so:

135 lowsidesm.jpg

135highsidesm.jpg

He instantly says I must have dropped it (hasn't happened in 46 years of handling guitars - dumb luck, I know), as his packing was 'immaculate'. So I start looking over the pictures in his ad, all of which carefully avoid that area, except for one (arrows added by me):

135damage.jpg

I take a picture of my own, trying to mimic his:

135 damageMyPicsm.jpg

I say the damage was prior to shipping and sent him those 2 pictures. He adamantly denies it but quickly offers a 'rebate', then - grudgingly - a refund.

If push came to shove, would the similarities in those 2 pictures be enough to convince Reverb and/or Paypal that the damage was there beforehand (and undisclosed)?

15 answers to this question

I have seen that phenomenon on at least a half dozen modern Epis in my shop. I think it's the ones that they ship in those triangular cardboard boxes with stryofoam supports and wedges, and they simply can't take shots in transit. I've got one guy who brings them to me - I think he's buying guitars that were damaged, insured, returned and then blown out at salvage prices on the back end.

It's not like true structural cracks as in split wood, it's more like a mild fingerboard/trunk separation and finish fissures caused by the headstock taking a quick jab like a boxer's jaw. Anyway, I've fixed them by seeping CA glues in the clearcoats and any visible cracks and wetsanding and buffing the seeps and surrounding finish out. I've gotten surprisingly good results. But to really "fix" them, you'd have to really break the headstock, causing more structural and more complex finish issues to fix.

I had this happen on a Special a month or so ago... I told the seller I was a luthier and could easily see the crack was there b4 shipping. In all honesty I think it was. He had it insured and I think he turned in a claim. I retuned it for a full refund and he even paid the return shipping. That sale was on Reverb and went thru the return/refund. Reverb pays you back and goes after the seller.

PS. I am not a luthier.

13 hours ago, kizanski said:

I don't see it in the "before" pictures, to be honest.  

It doesn't look like much, does it? That was why I tried to duplicate his picture - you can't see the real damage until you rotate the neck a little, but his picture shows it was there before he shipped it.

Dammit Mike, open your eyes!

21 minutes ago, hamerhead said:

It doesn't look like much, does it? That was why I tried to duplicate his picture - you can't see the real damage until you rotate the neck a little, but his picture shows it was there before he shipped it.

Dammit Mike, open your eyes!

I was looking at the photos on my phone earlier, but looking now on my computer, I see something there. I suppose it could be evidence of that issue.
Either way, don't give me a buncha crap. You're the one that bought an Epiphone, and I didn't mock you.

I'd say it was there prior to shipping... you did a good job of duplicating his photo Imo.

About the Epiphone... Hey, we've all done it at one time or another! 🤣 

11 minutes ago, hamerhead said:

If that jagoff wouldn'ta sent a cracked guitar, you guys woulda never known.

I disagree.
You had already been offered a refund before your posting, so I can only conclude is that your guilt and self-loathing compelled you to post about this situation in a feeble attempt to garner pity and sympathy from your fellow HFC-ers, rather than draw the ire and mockery you so rightfully deserve for this transgression.

You bought an Epiphone. I'd say you got what you deserved, but you actually got off easy.

3 hours ago, kizanski said:

.. a feeble attempt to garner pity and sympathy from your fellow HFC-ers, rather than draw the ire and mockery you so rightfully deserve for this transgression....

Untrue, mon frere. You fellows had already drawn pity, ire and mockery upon me for the feeb that I am. I stand unscathed by your blithering.

31 minutes ago, hamerhead said:

Untrue, mon frere. You fellows had already drawn pity, ire and mockery upon me for the feeb that I am. I stand unscathed by your blithering.

That was BEFORE you bought an Epiphone!

Archived