Hamer Fan Club Message Center

PSA: Watson Spotted in Japan

In my normal perusal of listings in Japan, I ran across this:

http://gold-star-guitar.com/project/hamer-jeff-watson-limited/

I don't know enough about the model to determine if it's priced right (a little over $3K) or if that weird bridge and nut are original.

In any event, it's more than I'd like to spend to bring a guitar here from Japan. But it could be done. 

On 9/8/2018 at 10:51 AM, currypowder said:

In my normal perusal of listings in Japan, I ran across this:

http://gold-star-guitar.com/project/hamer-jeff-watson-limited/

I don't know enough about the model to determine if it's priced right (a little over $3K) or if that weird bridge and nut are original.

In any event, it's more than I'd like to spend to bring a guitar here from Japan. But it could be done. 

I wonder how the CITES thing works if you're visiting a country, buy something and bring it back with you. I guess then you'd be responsible for the CITES paperwork but you wouldn't have to deal with a proxy. A trip to Japan would be pretty fun,,,

31 minutes ago, LordsoftheJungle said:

I wonder how the CITES thing works if you're visiting a country, buy something and bring it back with you. I guess then you'd be responsible for the CITES paperwork but you wouldn't have to deal with a proxy. A trip to Japan would be pretty fun,,,

Since that guitar has an ebony board, CITES doesn't come into play.

There are CITES exceptions for personal items being carried, but I'm not exactly sure how that works.

I don't believe CITES matters for personal property travelling with you, but since you would be going in without it and leaving with it there could be a problem. I have a daughter who is an officer in the Navy who is stationed over there, and I have thought about asking her to go shopping at Ikebe or Ishibashi for me, but haven't done it yet.

Go over there with a cheap beater in a Hamer case...come back with the Watson.

ELEMENTARY!!

2 hours ago, currypowder said:

That seller is one of many Japanese sellers that do not own the gear they list. Expect to see other listings of the same guitar at various prices. 

I'll definitely be watching to see if it drops around the 3K plus range... If so, I think I might snag it if no one else beats me to it...

47 minutes ago, currypowder said:

To you?

Hi Greg, Nope, I tried to negotiate without luck & to be honest, I was a little apprehensive not ever purchasing a guitar from Japan and wasn't sure if my first experience was worth risking 4K... but I wanted to thank you for your quick & friendly help tips... you're the kind of person that really makes being a HFC member worthwhile...

Thanks again, Dave 

15 minutes ago, essgee said:

It looks like there are negotiations going on, but it isn’t sold.  I’ve exchanged email with the seller and I’m awaiting a reply. 

Interesting... Which seller are you referring to?.. There's been at least 3 so far... the two on eBay posted sold and removed their listing

18 minutes ago, essgee said:

I’m emailing with the actual store (in the first post). It sound like (based on currypowder’s post) that a sale is pending. 

Not necessarily. They may have it on hold for you. If you've expressed a serious interest and they've given you a firm price, they could be waiting for a response. That time difference really slows down negotiations.

Culturally, I've heard that stores in Japan don't negotiate price, that it's considered disrespectful. I don't know if that's true, just something I've heard.

Archived