Hamer Fan Club Message Center

John Veleno died

redline

Elliot Rubinson introduced me to him at a Thoroughbred Music party in Tampa.  Once a year, they would have all the company reps there and their endorsees.  I just remember Elliot asking me if I'd ever seen a Veleno.  I told him I'd owned one for about thirty minutes at a guitar show in Texas.  I made a thousand dollars flipping it to another dealer.  Elliot said, "this is Mr. Veleno".  He hadn't built a guitar in years, but he still circulated in music circles.  I think that was in 1988.  A real innovator. 

Very sad to hear the news.  John was a very kind person as was his son Chris. He was always fascinated that people were interested in his guitars so much and loved to talk with his "fans". Spent over a hour talking with him when he was trying to reintroduce the guitars back in the 2000's.  The guitars are not for everyone (super thin and flat necks) but when you play them you get the innovation he was bringing.  No two are alike and truly interesting.  Here is the only one he did in all black.  There was also an all gold one he did for Pete Haycock (Climax Blues Band-on the cover of their album) and he did one in blue with a black neck.  Cool stuff-RIP John Veleno

Veleno.jpg

Hi Steve,   It is black power coat and anodized.  With some of the later ones they did have the black neck as some people liked the "slight texture" feel and it didn't feel as "cold" as the polished aluminum.   

Archived