Hamer Fan Club Message Center

OK, I got annihilated last night!

bubs_42

First outdoor gig, we can open it up a bit right? The van pulls up, I start unloading the gear and I see the other guitar players amp road case in the van, but there is another cab sitting by the door. I figure Oh he is going to to use and ext cab under his Hiwatt like I do with my East. WRONG! That 2x12 Hiwatt labeled Port City cab was for the vintage 100 Hiwatt Head, I pulled out next! DAMN IT! LOL The dude knows how to play, and his tone is always killer. He runs a Carl Martin Plexidrive Clone into  that thing and it was just incredible. 

I've got to upgrade my dino slider phone so I can get some shots of this shit. The guy down in St. Louis he bought it from had the Hiwatt throttled down to 50 watts, it had a master volume, channel one was maxed out, brill channel was at about 6 1/2. Master volume on about 2. Even with the channels running hot it was still pretty damn clean. He main gigging amp is a Reeves 50 watt 1x12 combo, he runs the same pedalboard into that amp. My wife is going to upload a video tonight and i'll post it here. 

3 hours ago, bubs_42 said:

That 2x12 Hiwatt labeled Port City cab was for the vintage 100 Hiwatt Head, I pulled out next!

the Hiwatt throttled down to 50 watts, it had a master volume, channel one was maxed out, brill channel was at about 6 1/2...

My ears are ringing!!! Daaannnggg!!!

35 minutes ago, atomicwash said:

My ears are ringing!!! Daaannnggg!!!

He points that thing stage left and makes fun of me because I wear ear plugs. LOL We set the guitar volumes to the volumes of the drums, he makes a great mix out front but the stage level is a little loud.

Just now, gtrdaddy said:

Don’t know what @bubs_42will do, but dibs on the Easts. :lol:

Be careful what you wish for, remember I have one available still. I'm carefully searching for a 4 6v6 loaded amp. If the Orangutan had a master I would buy one, but that is a negative and 3 Monkeys wasn't really open to building me the ORJ Plus. 

2 hours ago, gtrdaddy said:

You could always snag a FUCHS ODS 30.

....full circle?

I'd have to move a couple of things to make that happen. 

Side note, I have been using the Phantom for the last couple of shows. I went back and watched the footage and its sounds great, but something last night was lacking, I was loosing headroom, though I had a tube issue or power. Today though after I swapped a couple of guitars, it turns out its just the way that guitar hits the front of the amp. The guitars 10+K pickup is just pushing that amp and has a little to much compression. You throw a tele in front of it or lower output PAF's it really opens things up. I'm to the point where I really don't want to stray from what works for me. I ended up hooking up the Shishkov into the East something I had not done in a while. GAME ON!  OM, was it good, really good. 

3 hours ago, gtrdaddy said:

You could always snag a FUCHS ODS 30.

....full circle?

Speaking of which, I should maybe do something with mine (which I did get from you) now that the ODS-II is a reality........Though the latter is in the shop temporarily as the tech awaits new parts from Fuchs.....Seems they shipped them with defective FETs in the input stage....So, ship the heavy little beast to NJ to install what appear to be $15 worth of parts? Or have the local guy do it and, presumably, have to eat all or most of the labor costs?

Who was it that said, "If it has tires, tits or tubes, it is gonna be trouble?"

17 minutes ago, gtrdaddy said:

Don, you just bought that no? I wouldn’t have made you eat that, it’s under warranty right? I would’ve pulled all of the tubes, yanked the chassis, wrapped it in bubble wrap and wham! Small package at a fraction of the size and weight- off to Jersey and I would’ve paid for it. Andy would’ve paid return cost too. That’s just crap. Sorry to hear!

Side note, re Fuchs.

"Well, we prefer to do the work ourselves rather than trust it to anyone else". In so many words.

FWIW, my local guy is someone I trust deeply. He diagnosed the issue very quickly, we contacted Fuchs and they are sending him parts, having concluded his analysis is spot on. (They had previously told me it was most likely a batch of defective FETs they used, so it is a known problem). We will see on any labor reimb.....I reckon it saves someone, me and/or them, shipping costs. May well be a wash as to total costs. It WOULD be nice if they recognized that. Not to mention the risk of TWO cross country trips.

Interestingly, Brian told me that, as long as he had it open, he touched up the solder joints as there was some sloppy work inside.....Apparently he has some new, not cheap, gear that does a better job. Kind of a shame for a $4k+ HEAD! .

17 hours ago, gtrdaddy said:

Sheesh! That’s surprising. Damn. That’s unfortunate and I’m pretty shocked. I’d let Andy know and give him your serial number so he can find out which one of his techs built that one and have it addressed. 

Every amp tech no matter how good he is, will always find "Sloppy Work". I don't think I have taken an amp into a tech that hasn't said that very same thing. The first thing out of my mouth is "That one is one you.". If they call me and say, "Hey in the preamp section, I see some poor contacts points around PART A it would be best if I touch them up." I say yes or no, if they just do it and dock me another $50, we go to the mat. 

But back to the Les Paul, I have classic 57 in the LP. For some reason your are stuck that I am using WCR's, which I am not. The LP stayed home, just brought out the Phantom and a Tele, and Brian brought out a Jazzmaster Type Guitar and his Faded Pink Tele. 

On 9/16/2018 at 7:18 AM, hamerhead said:

Jeezus Shawn - you better elbow your way up to the table before you disappear.

Have you been talking to my mother again? When you start at 260 and end up at 170/180 you never look the same again. I have been between 170 and 185 for the last 7 years, and i'm in my happy spot. I've done everything from running to working out until my body said "Fuck it, your done!". Now with a another change in my daily diet and minimal exercise i'm more consistent than ever. No more freaking out if I have that piece of cake or eat that piece of bread. No more fella's, I drink beer, I eat what I want with in reason and I'm ok with that. 

Now I would like to have more muscles, but lets face it, i'm also a little lazy. 

11 hours ago, Dutchman said:

What??? All that farming country around... And NO Flat bed trailer for the band??? Great sound tho!!! 

I alway’s loved the small town street dances!!!

Funny you should mention "farming country". Harvest season is in full swing, I pulled my amp, board, guitar cases out yesterday and blew all the crop dust out of everything. It was raining shelling dust from the corn harvest, the hold time we were out there. LOL

Archived