Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Opinions/Experience Sought - Line 6 SpiderV Amps

JoeO

The collective wisdom of HFC was certainly a great help when looking for my first Hamer, so I'm hoping to tap into that well of knowledge and experience again.

Here's the issue - I am looking to get a new amplifier, and I am intrigued by the capabilities of the Line 6 Spider V amps. I am well aware of the (largely negative) issues and experiences people had with he earlier versions (Spider III, IV, or earlier), and  understand that the latest version is (supposedly) significantly better.

But first, here's why it is under consideration.

I used to use a 50W tube head and separate cabinet in my LP playing days, but took a long hiatus from guitar playing and only resumed a couple of years ago. My old amp is long gone, but I still have most of my effects - original (late 70s'/early 80's - guess they're "vintage" now) MXR stuff, a cry baby, Small Stone phaser, Morley vol, Ibanez TS, etc. But I no longer want to really deal with building up a pedal collection (partly due to the cost, partly due to not having that much time to mess around). Also, I'm not going to be playing "live" in a bad or anything, my main interest will be in recording at home (and my next opportunity for suggestions from the HFC family will be regarding DAW SW and audio interfaces). So it strikes me that a modeling amp with 30-50W or so is something that might fit the bill pretty well.

Hence my interest in the Line 6 Spider V series (particularly the 60W version). Or perhaps other modeling amps  - Blackstar, Marshall, Boss Katana, etc.

As for the type of music I like to play/write, the tone etc. - I'd classify it as primarily prog rock and jazz, with some classical (nylon) guitar also. My influences are probably Steve Hackett (genesis), Martin Barre, King Crimson, Gentle Giant, Pat Metheny, Eric Johnson, etc. As for tone - Marshall over Fender, Les Pauls over Strats. And for computing platforms - PC/Android.

Also - one of the appealing things for me about these modeling amps is that I can get e.g. a new Line 6 Spider V 60 for $300, a used /reconditioned one for $250. I'd prefer not to spend much more than that. So buying another couple hundred bucks in pedals and also a $300 amp is not attractive (my current amp is a POS, so not "usable"). Nor is buying something like a POD/Helix and then a separate clean amp to use with it. On the other hand, I'm aware that "serious" musicians sometimes fell that a modeling amp is buying a bad amp, along with a bad OD, bad echo, bad phaser, bad flanger, bad EQ... etc.  

So what do you guys think?   Is this a reasonable approach given what my goals are? And if so, what modeling amps are recommended?

TX!

I don't have any experience with the Spider V , but I use a Line 6 Spider Valve 112 as my practice amp that I leave at our rehearsal space and it's a great amp. The one I have was designed in partnership with Bogner and has a digital/modeling front end and tube output section. You need the Line 6 "shortboard" to control it with your feet.

This amp is no longer made but you should be able to find a used one in your budget. Just my $.02.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8Riie-fq9w&start_radio=1&list=RDz8Riie-fq9w&t=15

^^Agreed^^... I also have a Line 6/Bogner spider valve 1x12" 6L6 tube/modeler hybrid & and able to dial in some seriously good tones... although I don't use it as much because it has an issue with the volume jumping up "very loudly" when I change channels... A inherit problem within the first versions... 

I'm in on the Line6 stuff. The new SpiderV series sports a 30w combo. Like most modelers, you have to dig into the presets and tweak them to sound good. I think the SV amps have computer connectivity, which makes it much easier to use instead of twiddling knobs and squinting at the tiny readout on the amps front panel.

Owning a POD HD500, I'm a bit behind the curve on their newest modelers, but I'm starting to get the hang of it. You can get some good sounds out of it and, hey, for two Benjis I ain't complaining.

I recently got my first tube amp (Friedman Runt 20).  I find I still use my Mustang III, more often.  It sounds almost as good, at the volumes that I play, and it was ~1/4 the cost.  As you mentioned, no need for investing in pedals or attenuator.  BIAS F/X through an audio interface, is worth checking out with their free trial.  I miss the Helix; that was best that I've used.

Thanks for the feedback, folks.

Summarizing...

Seems the L6 SV series amps can do an OK job at meeting my needs/goals.   The earlier "Bogner" version probably does a bit better job at replicating the tube sound, but has limited features/flexibility maybe?

Katana is a solid contender, but has fewer presets/voices, and many of them need to be controlled/selected using "Tone Studio" SW. So maybe not as flexible if you don't want to be tethered to a PC all the time? Maybe a non-issue in my case where I'm not performing live. I've read that the Katana though is more geared to "hard rock/heavy metal" sounds, so maybe not as good for clean/jazz when the mood strikes?

Clearly, a live side-by-side eval would be ideal. My local GC has the L6SV60, but only the 100W version of the Katana (way overkill for me), so might not be apples-apples. But worth pursuing.

Cost-wise the Katana 50 with FS6 foot pedal is about $280. The L6SV-60 is $300 +  $100-$230 for a footswitch.

Archived