Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Pedal boards: Holeyboard and Rockboard style

tommy p

I have an old Pedal Pad case-style pedal board with the aluminum plates that I've been using for at least 10 years, but I'd like to have a smaller, lighter board.  I've bought a couple of mini-pedals in anticipation of the downsizing.  The Pedal Pad has the Pedal Power module and Patch Bay but I've never used the latter.  I just go with everything in front of the amp.  Pedals are attached to the plates via Velcro.

The Holeyboard Zig (+Zag) models and Rockboard stuff are designed to use plastic ties instead of Velcro, although it looks like you still could use Velcro with the Rockboard stuff.  The Rockboard I'm looking at is the 4.2 which is built on a slant but not truly two-tiered like the Holeyboard stuff.  Both seem to have enough room underneath to mount a power supply and patch bay if you want to the 4CM which I am considering when I revamp everything.

Anybody got one of these that can share your experience?  Specifically wondering about power supplies or patch bays that turned out NOT to work for size or design issues, and whether using plastic ties works very well compared to Velcro.  Side question: for all you folks using Velcro, do you put the hook or the loop on your pedals?

I have been using the large Holeyboard for a couple of years now and it's awesome. I like the two tiered setup rather than having everything on the same level and I have the 1 Spot power supply under the upper tier. 

Originally tried the zip ties and didn't like the pedals not being super tight to the board nor did I like the zip ties going across the top of the pedals. So I am using velcro. I have the loop side on the pedals and the hook side on the board.

I also bought the hard case for the Holeyboard (looks like a short fat Fender Strat case).

This image is from last year, three of the pedals have changed.

DSCN0591 (1024x768).jpg

I made my own ghetto honey-board with a plastic large cutting board and a drill.... works great. I only take it to jams and change it out every month with different pedals depending upon the guitar I am playing that night.. I dig using the zip-ties.

I did the same thing. With these style boards, the hardest part was cutting the channel at clean 90 degree angles. The rest was pretty easy, I used drum wrap to make my board white. Next board sill be something sparkly. The case is a SKB Mixer case. 

uLQ1aGF.jpg

Dang, I really do need to get a guitar pedalboard together. Still trying to figure out what I want for a "multi-effects" unit for modulation/time/reverb effects. The Zoom Unit looks nice.

I had a pedal train, but sold it to fund a custom board, that I've since mangled with my own mods. That was fun and I do enjoy my board, but if I had to do it again, I'd go with a Holeyboard ZIG, and maybe the Zag added on. They're more compact than the original Holeyboards and are high grade aluminum. 

https://www.chemistrydesignwerks.com/holeyboards/holeyboard-zigzag

Archived