Hamer Fan Club Message Center

In Memory of Rod Price

I've just been notified that slide guitarist non pareil (IMO) Rod Price died yesterday (22 MAR) due to injuries from a fall down a stairway. He's survived by his wife Jackie and five children.

I interviewed Rod in 2001, and it was probably the most unexpectedly/brutally honest on-the-record conversation I've ever had with a notable guitarist....and no ego intended but he sent me a thank you note when it was published.

His two recent solo albums, OPEN and WEST FOUR, are excellent. Nobody ever played slide quite like him. Those two CDs, as well as FOGHAT LIVE, will be spending a lot of time in my CD player over the next few days. WGM/VGM

Very sad. "Fool For The City" was one of the songs I've lobbied to play in countless cover bands. Great band. Our condolences to the family.

Man that sucks. I didn't know him but I really dig Foghat. Man had some tasty slide chops, as well as the ability to incorporate them into something other than a straight ahead blues song(unlike most other slide players).

My first concert. Those guys were great. Sad news indeed.

Mine too. There was a lot of talent in that band, and he definitely made his mark.

damn...

I read Rod needed only one take, anytime and all the time.

He was especially fresh to my ears in the 70's. Yea, all the chat about the slide solos (deserved) but my fondest solos were straight ahead.... Nothing I Won't Do and Hate To See You Go are still in my head to this day.

Good to hear he kicked as much butt in interviews as guitar. Stairs !? I only wish it could have been in Vegas with a hooker, mate!

RIP

S.

Very sad news. I recall seeing Foghat at Cobo Hall in Detroit in the late seventies and they kicked ass. Very underrated slide player.

Oh, man, that really sucks.

And to top it off, I'm a total idiot. I live one town away from Wilton NH, where Rod lived (and died). About 5 years ago I asked at a local music store if they had a good slide guitar teacher, and they said that Rod Price occasionally gave guitar lessons.

I never followed up. It's been one of those things in the back of my mind that one day when I had some time I'd call him up and ask for lessons.

That's really sad news. And I'm an idiot.

-Jonathan

Wow, very sorry to hear that.

I did a gig with Rod a couple of years back. He didn't know me from Adam, just hired me on the recommendation of his keyboard player (the one on OPEN), who's a friend of mine. He was nothing but gracious and professional, sounded great, and was a pleasure to play with. I still remember the way he tore up "Sitting On Top Of The World."

He'll be missed.

RE: The interview---it's archived somewhere but not on file digitally. Perhaps I can re-transcribe it sometime down the road, but it's quite long (a two-parter). If someone has any back issues on file, it's in the June and July issues of VINTAGE GUITAR

RE: The interview---it's archived somewhere but not on file digitally. Perhaps I can re-transcribe it sometime down the road, but it's quite long (a two-parter). If someone has any back issues on file, it's in the June and July issues of VINTAGE GUITAR

You could scan the article and there are some computer programs that will read the text off of an image and create a text document. Then all you have to do is proofread it.

Archived