Hamer Fan Club Message Center

EMGs anyone?

I've got EMG 89R's in my Ken Loper, and like them alot. They clean up nicely with the volume control but don't lose the high end as bad as passives, and the "single coil" mode works quite well too, better than the usual coil split.

Someone once told me emg's suck...

Is that true?

question: if a dealer who says EMGs suck sells you an instrument with EMGs does that dealer suck? or does he just think you suck? or do we all suck? :rolleyes:

FINALLY, someone gets the joke.......

Jeez, I have been saying EMGs suck for so long and nobody asked that!!!!

For the record, EMGs do what they do very well.

John Mayer STILL sucks tho.

I've got a set of 85s in my Kaufman EN-V(get it? envy? nyuk, nyuk, nyuk) and I have to say I really dig them. It originally had an 81 in the bridge, but I thought it was a little harsh so Bill swapped in an 85. Good stuff.

During the entire decade of the 80's my main (and often only) gigging guitar was a Fender Japanese '62 Tele Custom RI with a set of EMG pickups.

Of course, I sucked.

...but have been jonesing to try some EMGs...

Maybe some 85s?

I've got an 89 and an SA I'll sell. Plenty of lead, battery clips& pots included, pretty sure I have wiring instructions for the SA, confirmed I have wiring instructions for the 89.

A previous owner had them in a Cali that I now own. He hardly played the guitar. I put Duncans in when I bought the guitar from him, so I just don't have a use for the EMG's.

one of my doublenecks came with factory EMGs - 85's on the 12 string neck and 89's on the six string (plus an SA). At the time I thought the 89's sucked ass, but I'm not so certain I'd be so negative now - now that I've learned how to play with single coils and/or otherwise vary the output of the guitar into an amp and get results. I went all 85's after trying out every other model, and all in all that wasn't a bad pickup - nice midrange crunch and super, super noise-free, even sitting in front of my computer. I didn't particularly care for the scooped buzzy sound of the 81 (and found it to be less hot than the 85). I eventually went with passives and don't really think I'll ever go back, but as far as basses go, I've never liked the sound of passives in basses - it's EMGs or nothing in that realm!

Hello EMG haters (jk),

I have a couple of guitars with EMG in them and I think they sound killer. I especially like the EMG 85s in my '96 Les Paul Custom, my EMG DG-20s in my '84-'87 Fender MIJ Strat w/ factory installed Kahler Spyder and my EMG 85, SA, 81 custom set on my homemade Strat w/ a gold Kahler 2760 Steeler bridge. I've used these guitars on gigs, jam nights and studio work. I find their sound, low impedance, good tone and noiseless operation perfect for what I do. I know that most of you will probably disagree with me since the majority of the HFC is into passive pickups on their Hamer USA guitars.

My opinons on the 81: Pros: Good rock or metal sound, very hot, biting, slightly less output than the 85. I like this pickup on my custom Strat when I play Top 40 as the lead pickup has an agressive sound on this guitar.

Cons: I found the sound on that particular guitar didn't sound good when played clean on my friend's '65 Fender Deluxe.

Didn't sound good on my '96 Les Paul Custom in the bridge position and was replaced with an 85.

85: Pros: Versatile pickup for all styles. Nice, bottom, mids, round sounding, more output than the 81. PAF on steroids!! Sounds good in either neck or bridge postions. My personal favorite. It sound way cool on my Les Paul. Smooth, good output, punchy and nice sustain.

DG-20: SA single coil set w/ EMG Expander and SPC modules. Pros:Cool Strat sound, no noise, great clean & dirty tones, versatile w/ the mentioned tone modules. Great for recording clean or dirty Strat type tones. I like the way the SPC module fattens up the overdriven tones and the Expander giving bass & treble on the clean tones. I like the way it pushes effects or my rack sytem due to its low impedance signal.

Cons: Most Strat players may think it's sterile or processed. Without the tone modules, it might be lacking to some players. Designed to be a verstile pickup to obtain differnt tones. Most players don't understand how to work with the pickups and its tone modules. Check out hardheartedbill's comment.

One more thing to players who use EMG pickups: Unplug the guitar when you're not playing your guitar. The battery will last you 6 months to a year. If you leave your cord plugged in, the 9 volt battery will last you about a month. I have guitars with the 9 volt battery over a year old and they're still going strong. Out of caution, carry extra 9 volt batteries and check your battery voltage the day before your gig so you won't get caught in a bad spot.

Guitar George

Also, using lithium 9volt batteries is worth it. They will last three times as long, plus, lithium batteries don't gradually lose output as alkalines do. They pretty much give full juice until they die. Plus, although this can be argued either way, I think EMG's sound better at 18 volts.

My main guitar is a Partsocaster with EMG 89 pups and an SA in the middle. I also added an EMG-EXG. Most versitle set-up I've ever had. The tone is very balanced and fundamental. Very handy for salsa and funk.

Both my main guitars have EMGs, the maple body Cali Elite and the Chap Deluxe, they came stock with them. I like them but I don't have any preferences in pickups. Both my Steve Stevens I guitars have the stock Dimarzio Hamer Slammers, and they work well with the guitars. The Chap Bass also has EMGs they also fit well in that instrument. If it ain't broke don't fix it, so I am not experimenting much with pickups.

Archived