Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Found a dead spot on my Studio neck

If you're looking to change the mass of the tuners, consider the following:

Schaller M-6 tuners 10.0 oz (280g) (set of 6)

Grovers 9.8 oz (275g)

Sperzels 7.4 oz (210g)

Switching to Sperzels from either Schallers or Grovers would change the weight more than simply changing tuner buttons.

If you're looking to change the mass of the tuners, consider the following:

Schaller M-6 tuners  10.0 oz (280g) (set of 6)

Grovers                    9.8 oz (275g)

Sperzels                  7.4 oz (210g)

Switching to Sperzels from either Schallers or Grovers would change the weight more than simply changing tuner buttons.

True...but Ill go the route of least financial resistance and try the buttons first.... :rolleyes:

I understand. Plus, the drilling can be...uh...off-putting for some. I've done it so many times at this point but I can absolutely understand why some might be, uh, apprehensive.

Something to keep in mind if the button swap isn't enough, I suppose.

Would those sperzels just drop in or require a route?

Michael

Sperzels                   7.4 oz (210g)

Michael

Could require a reaming or they might be too small. I dont know how they would remedy that

Michael

For a Studio, the Sperzels would just drop in and don't require reaming; they WILL, however, require that you drill six tiny holes for the guide pin on the underside of each tuner. Once installed, this guide pin is completely covered by the tuner housing; unfortunately, the old screw holes for both the Schaller and Grovers 'guide screws' will show even after the Sperzels are installed but, for me, this is irrelevant. I can see, however, why that alone might give one pause.

P4020034.jpg

sperzelchrvsatin.jpg

Anyway, I personally find that Sperzels to be better than either Schallers or Grovers--plus they have added utility of being locking tuners.

Additionally, Stew-Mac sells a 'tuner pin drill jig' for about 30 bucks that takes the worry and guesswork out of aligning the holes to be drilled.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Jigs/Tun..._Drill_Jig.html

As always, YMMV.

My experience is that Sperzels are nowhere near the same quality as Schallers or Grovers. Sperzels are coarser-ratio and are just not as well-made.

They are lighter than the standard Schallers, though, and even more so if you get their pearloid buttons.

Archived