Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Peavey Classic 30 questions

wyldbil

My bud has a Peavey Classic 30 he's not too crazy about. I mentioned to him that several of you have them and have hot rodded them and he became intrigued. Anyone care to tell me of the mods available for those amps so my friend might get his up to his liking?

For the most part Teefus used the mods suggested by Steve Ahola at:

http://blueguitar.org/

There are two PDF's there that expain the mods. Teefus may have used a few of his own mods as well.

A quick change of the Power Tubes to JJ El-34s, swapping out the stock Sovtek preamp tubes and a better speaker will improve it but the mods really put it close to boutique territory sound wise IMHO.

What Dan said, except that changing out to EL-34's could be a real trick, Dan... :P

I'm working my way through a Delta Blues (same circuit plus tremelo) at the moment, changed the power tubes to JJ's, the first preamp tube to a high-gain JJ from Dougs Tubes and the middle two pre tubes to the new GT Mullard reissues. Huge improvement right there. Can't wait to get it off to Teefus to get it bored out.

Guest teefus2

yeah, what dan and tom said.....steve ahola's web site is a great place to start and very informative. i don't think steve is a big fan of distortion and the gainier channel anyway so some of his suggestions can and should be altered to make a more versatile rock and or roll amp.

Archived