Hamer Fan Club Message Center

John Petrucci Clinic pics

So John comes by on tour and finally does a clinic in this area. His first in the area since 95ish. Funny thing is Dream Theater was much 'bigger' in terms of radio play in 95 and the clinc back then had about 80 people. This one had about 250. :ph34r:

John played 3 tracks karaoke style to backing tracks and then explained what scales he was using and broke it down into simple licks that he used and what techniques that made things seem fancier than what he was actually playing. He went on to tell us that it's the simple things that make a boring melody line interesting like vibrato, pedal point technique, wammy bars, delay, wah, picking location, pickups, etc. Very cool.

I bought a new JP 6 and he signed it for me. As I brought it up to him he said "Hey, nice guitar!" LOL! :wub:

101_3629.jpg

more:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v63/sile...rucci%20Clinic/

This reminds me... a couple of years ago I was at a Tony Levin performance at a little venue in CT. This was shortly after Levin had recorded w/ Dream Theater. A crowd of people were staring at me all night, and finally during an intermission one of them ran up to me and asked for an autograph. He thought I was John Petrucci. (I should have just given him an autograph, but I told him the truth LOL. I think my exact words were, "No, I'm not half as fast.") Looking at these pics I can kinda see it.

It's too bad it was in the middle of the day (if it's the clinic I think it was). I'm not a big Petrucci fan, but I'll never pass up a chance to see a great guitarist live for free (unless I'm at work, that is).

I'm not a big Petrucci fan, but I'll never pass up a chance to see a great guitarist live for free (unless I'm at work, that is).

Surely you are only saying that because you haven't had the opportunity to hear his solo CD "Suspended Animation". I would be real surprised if you didn't like at least some of it, a great deal.

Oh yeah, cool pics BTW.

I'm not a big Petrucci fan, but I'll never pass up a chance to see a great guitarist live for free (unless I'm at work, that is).

Surely you are only saying that because you haven't had the opportunity to hear his solo CD "Suspended Animation". I would be real surprised if you didn't like at least some of it, a great deal.

Oh yeah, cool pics BTW.

I haven't heard his solo CD yet (just some clips from his website; although now that you mentioned it; I think I'll download it tonight and give it a spin), but I do have the 2nd Liquid Tension Experiment album and I think it's pretty sweet. It's just that whenever I hear him he reminds me of Steve Morse (chromatic stuff), Joe Satriani (wah wah lead melodies), or Steve Vai (legato stuff, harmonized speed picking), all of whom I was fanatical about when I was starting out on electric guitar. Still, seeing as how he's technically better than all those folks, I would have loved to see him.

-Austin

"Technically better than" Vai is something I'd have to see to believe. Not saying it's impossible, but that last Vai tour completely blew my mind. Petrucci might be faster, but Vai can put more spin on a 32nd note than most guys put on a whole note. :ph34r:

"Technically better than" Vai is something I'd have to see to believe. Not saying it's impossible, but that last Vai tour completely blew my mind. Petrucci might be faster, but Vai can put more spin on a 32nd note than most guys put on a whole note. :lol:

Don't get me wrong; I like Vai more than I like Petrucci, but I've never heard him play anything I don't think Petrucci could play, whereas I don't this the opposite is true.

Our bass player has promised to hook me up with some recommended DT listening. I bought one album (maybe the 2nd to last, can't remember the title) and it just didn't even catch my attention, so I gave up. But he assures me he's got better material that will spin my head around.

"Technically better than" Vai is something I'd have to see to believe.  Not saying it's impossible, but that last Vai tour completely blew my mind.  Petrucci might be faster, but Vai can put more spin on a 32nd note than most guys put on a whole note.  :lol:

Don't get me wrong; I like Vai more than I like Petrucci, but I've never heard him play anything I don't think Petrucci could play, whereas I don't this the opposite is true.

MAN, I'de love to be there right now. The clinic must have been cooool.

I've been spinning his new disc alot; He does 2 cuts off of it on the recent G3 tour disc. I'll be very much interested in getting this tours DVD immediately.

You lucky guys you!

I like Vai and Satch. The 3 of them together are impressive.

I haven't heard his solo CD yet (just some clips from his website; although now that you mentioned it; I think I'll download it tonight and give it a spin), but I do have the 2nd Liquid Tension Experiment album and I think it's pretty sweet. It's just that whenever I hear him he reminds me of Steve Morse (chromatic stuff), Joe Satriani (wah wah lead melodies), or Steve Vai (legato stuff, harmonized speed picking), all of whom I was fanatical about when I was starting out on electric guitar. Still, seeing as how he's technically better than all those folks, I would have loved to see him.

-Austin

I agree that those influences show clearly in his playing and he is not always the most innovative player out there but, the dude can sure play. If you like the LTE stuff you might enjoy this as well. I like the second LTE better than the first on.

Archived