Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Gibson damn you!!! now with Pic

Im bummed. Just got a brand spankin' new LP STD Desertburst and Im sending her back! I didnt notice when I cracked the case open but the frets look like there is some sort of filling on either side. I thought maybe its just glue but it looks like a fill job. I cant believe a fretboard was mis-cut to the point they would have to fill both side...on every fret!? Damn shame... this is the second LP turkey I have gotten....sigh...... :blink:

fret2.jpg

+1

I just wish my italian friends would sit up and listen...

Moreover - we don't have Guitar Centers with walls full of gibbies to play and choose, over here

Russian roulette - there's one in the shop, it's either a lemon (90% of times) or a good'un (yeah, sure).

I went to my local guitar mega-store this last weekend to look for a 2x12 cab and ended up playing a couple of the new LP faded. The faded sunburst and tobacco burst looked pretty good. The finish is very matte. But a couple things surfaced on examination that are all to common with current gibsons and on a $1899 instrument as these its just not acceptable. There was filler little filler in the fretting but each and every inlay, plastic of course which is another topic, had filler one one side or the other and in many places the filler was slathered up and over onto the inlay. The cut line of the finish at the binding was also less than acceptable. Just wrong for an istrument of this price and reputation.

Hello Disappointed Gibson owners,

Im bummed. Just got a brand spankin' new LP STD Desertburst and Im sending her back! I didnt notice when I cracked the case open but the frets look like there is some sort of filling on either side. I thought maybe its just glue but it looks like a fill job. I cant believe a fretboard was mis-cut to the point they would have to fill both side...on every fret!? Damn shame... this is the second LP turkey I have gotten....sigh......

I saw your posting and I'm concerned since I own a '96 Les Paul Custom. Is your Les Paul Standard a newer model? If it is, Gibson better get there act together. A poorly made fretboard with filling and glue doesn't make a good guitar or a satisfied customer. Thank you Hamer Guitars for being a high quality guitar manufacturer!!

I just wish my italian friends would sit up and listen...

Moreover - we don't have Guitar Centers with walls full of gibbies to play and choose, over here

Russian roulette - there's one in the shop, it's either a lemon (90% of times) or a good'un (yeah, sure).

I haven't gone shopping for Gibsons or stepped into a Guitar Center or any other authorized Gibson dealers since I bought my '96 Les Paul Custom last year. I've been buying up Hamer USA guitars for my collection. LOL I have heard guitar players saying that the factory is kicking out poorly made guitars again. Is this true? What's up with that? If this is the new Gibson, once again they have dropped the ball.

Guitar George

Somehow I just new Gibson would fall back into their bad habits again after a couple of years of making a higher percentage of good LP's. I picked up an R7 Goldtop late last year that just kicks ass. Maybe it was an aberration!

In 02' when the newer version of the LP Standard came out I ordered one in Desertburst with the 50's neck. When it showed up it had a 1.5" long cut in the top under the finish. Parallel form the neck. I looked is someone had slipped with there knife while trimming the tape before painting. If course I sent it back & did not ask for a replacement.

To me there are asking way to much for there guitar for little hand work that goes into them as well as the poor quality. After the Gibson/PRS thing & the royal F*^king of deals last year, it will be a long time before I will spend any money on a recent or new Gib$on.

There's a shift brewwin' and it doesn't look to favor Gib.

Dave's guitar, one of Gibs 10 biggest grossing dealers drops the whole line, then reintroduces HAMER USA then invites Jol to give a presentation there.

I'm equating Gib as the eggman on the wall.

humptycolor.jpg

You know, it's after reading things like this that I stand firm in my decision that I will never own a Gibso. If ittakes that much effort to find a decent guitar, and at the price they're asking, then I say screw 'em. I'll take my Hamers any day.

Gibson dropped Dave's, who had been doing $1.5 Million a year in Gibson alone! Gibson dropped all of the high profile net based stores.

Gibson's about to crash.

Hey Brownsound, did you buy this from an authorized Gibson dealer? Was it offered as "new" ? Did you buy it "sight un seen" over the web or over the phone?

I would suggest to you that if the guitar was sold with such an obvious manufacturing issue, the probablity of it having other issues that you have not yet discovered is fairly high. And the probability of it being reworked to "perfect as new" condition is fairly low.

I bought a new Gibson Blueshawk over the web/phone about 8 years ago from an authorized dealer. When it arrived it had a bridge that was positioned about 1/4 inch short and a gorgeous thumbprint underneath the clearcoat. The dealer, Wichita Band, was absolutely fantastic about taking care of the situation. Told me to box it back up, send it back to them and they sent me a new one that they closely inspected and it arrived without any issues. And they even did the little things right, like they covered the cost of return shipment and put a couple of sets of new strings in the case compartment.

Sooooo........if you bought it from a dealer as a new guitar, get your money back, send the guitar back, and continue your tone quest elsewhere.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You will only waste your time and frustrate the pig.

Noonan

I'm not convinced it's filler. It looks to me that they got a little deep when they were cutting the slot for the fret and the machine made and "impression" or "scored" the top of the board. You can see that the part that looks scored is the same consistancy as the board itself and the streaks in the board are the same as the wood. I think it the actual board material, but scored. I think a good luthier could knock that down and sand it out without much effort. I think BCR could probably confirm or deny the "scoreing" theory. Take a good look at.

It still doesn't make things right, but if the guitar is bad ass I'd take it to someone and have it checked or maybe even sand it myself.

I'm not convinced it's filler. It looks to me that they got a little deep when they were cutting the slot for the fret and the machine made and "impression" or "scored" the top of the board. You can see that the part that looks scored is the same consistancy as the board itself and the streaks in the board are the same as the wood. I think it the actual board material, but scored. I think a good luthier could knock that down and sand it out without much effort. I think BCR could probably confirm or deny the "scoreing" theory. Take a good look at.

It still doesn't make things right, but if the guitar is bad ass I'd take it to someone and have it checked or maybe even sand it myself.

Riffmonger Is on the Money.

I agree, the marks are from Gibson's famous, crappy fretwork.

Those are file marks left in the fingerboard. Not replaced wood.

I see this on a massive amount of Gibsons, even on their overpriced historics.

Gibsons manufacturing process where the fingerboards are fretted then glued to the neck, is a poor way to produce a true even playing surface. Because of this Gibsons need too much fret leveling and recrowning, which they barely do correctly. Those are just file marks from agressive leveling. Gibsons also tend to have marks on the fingerboard from shaping/scraping the fingerboard binding.

Those marks being from tooling may be the case. However they do use quite a bit of filler in the inlay. This is a fact. And apply none to carefully either. As I posted before the inlay work on the two LP Standard Faded I played this last weekend was terrible. The Korean Ibanez hanging next to it had better inlay work.

If you are refering to the marker on either side of the frets. I would bet there made from the tool on the machine that places the frets. I do not know how Gibson places there frets but if you rember from the Hamer tour they have a tool with the matching fretboard rad on it that press in the frets. I woulb that to tool at gibson has a notch ground thru it the same shape as the fret & surrounds the fret & bottoms on the fretboard . It would give you more consitite fret seating but the bottom marks on the rosewood would say there is too much pressre there.

I remeber Jol talking about the guy seating the frets at Hamer has a to gain a feel the correct pressure it takes to seat the frets to proper with out driving the frets into the fretboard.

And Jeremy's dad said his shop class skills would never pay off.....

Not that I could do a better job.... but damn... if I was paying out that kind of dough for a new guitar I'd freak to see such shotty work.....

I've got myself a good one ... and yes, they certainly are few and far between. Between the poor manufacturing and the bizarre dealer policy issues, I can't for the life of me understand what the hell is going on with Gibson. Too bad really, I am quite the Les Paul fan.

When I worked in a music store we had a Les Paul with a similar situation. The frets had been pressed in too hard and caused depressions parallel to each fret. The wood feathered up, so apparently a Gibson employee had to chip away the splinters. It made a nice, neat looking mark on both sides of each fret.

You have to admire Gibson for this. Some companies would readjust their machines and toss out the imperfect fretboards. Gibson salvages what they have and use it. This is one of the many ways Gibson passes savings to the consumer for a better value in instruments.

Archived