-
Posts
4,896 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
24
Content Type
Profiles
Forums
Events
Everything posted by BadgerDave
-
Favorite bands that went nowhere, dept.
BadgerDave replied to BCR Greg's topic in Hamer Fan Club Messageboard
Can't let one of these threads go by without mentioning the two best (IMO) power pop bands of the 80's. Off Broadway (usa) and 20/20 Off Broadway got very close to the big time and released a pair of great albums on Atlantic (IIRC). They had a minor hit with "Stay in Time". One of the best lead singer/lead guitar combos I've heard in Cliff Johnson and John Ivan. The band was managed by Cheap Trick's manager, Ken Adamany who dumped them just as they started getting some traction in favor of southern rock outfit called "Little Dixie". I was fortunate to be at the "post dump" show at Headliner's in Madison. It was a fantastic, obscenity-laden, drunkfest on stage. At one point, Cliff was riding a guitar stand hobby-horse style and shouting "How 'bout that Little Dixie - yee haw!" Not particularly professional, but fun as hell. 20/20 wrote some of the best songs to come out of that era including 'Remember the Lightning, Yellow Pills, Cheri and She's an Obsession". -
Bump. The Fender and Nash are both still available. Not looking for trades unless you have a Victoria 20112 or 5112 or something similar in a guru-built (i.e., easily flippable) 1x12 combo with 20 watts or less. I'd also consider trading one (plus $) or both for a PRS McCarty, CU22, Singlecut or Santana III.
-
I had a ticket and was on my way out the door to O'Hare when all Hell broke loose at work. 3 hours later, I'd missed my flight and what looks like one of the best 4321 Club gatherings yet. Bruce, Faux country and you didn't break out the seafoam T-51? Shame!!!!!
-
Holy Crap! That's $2,302.22 U.S.!!!!!!!!!!! I've got an autographed copy too! This could make the recent flood of eBay Cali listings pale in comparison. First $1500.00 offer gets mine. I'll even cover the shipping and PayPal fees.
-
The '65 Edited to add: I'm going on vacation beginning Thursday of next week (5/10), so I won't be able to answer questions (or ship the guitar) after early next week. So, HURRY! LIMITED TIME OFFER, ACT NOW!!!!!! Seriously, the Nash or the USA Reissue? The Nash. By a hair. Mostly because it's unique and a little strange. That appeals to me. The Fender is more refined. The Nash is kinda' punk.
-
The Nash is very different from the USA Reissue. Sort of like comparing a Cadillac to a Lotus. The Nash is stripped down, bare bones and a lot of fun. The sounds are similar, but the feel isn't. The Nash is lighter and it feels like a pair of old blue jeans. Either you like Bill Nash's "artistry" or you don't. I think he goes a bit overboard with the relicing, but I appreciate this JM for what it is. Most, but not all, of the finish has been removed from the back of the neck and it feels perfect. Pickups are Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder JM models. The tremolo is functional, but not as smooth as a genuine Fender model. Nash has only made a handful of Jazzmasters. I suspect that this is the only burgundy mist one. The headstock is painted to match the body. I understand that this is somewhat rare on a Nash.
-
Yes, the '65 is the sunburst in the center of the second photo. Bought it at a guitar show. At the time it was unplayable past the 7th fret because of a horrible partial refret. After a full refret and set-up, it's magic. The burgundy mist model on the far right is a Nash. I'd let that one go if someone offered me close to what I paid for it - $1,400 plus shipping.
-
Recent Fender ’62 USA Reissue Jazzmaster in seafoam green. My acquisition of a ’65 JM makes this one redundant, so I thought I’d offer it here first. Sorry for the crappy photos. They make the guitar look more Daphne blue, but in person, it is definitely seafoam. I can take more to order if you’re interested. Completely stock except for the addition of a pearl pickguard and a Buzzstop. Excellent condition, looks new except for one tiny chip on the back/bottom edge. I owned the guitar for a week before I noticed it. Precision setup for low action, no buzzes and great tone. Original white pickguard and original Fender brown/yellow plush hard shell case included. Comes with a big bag of Fender Factory tags, strap, etc. Light for a JM, about 8 lbs. Sounds like a great JM should. $1,000.00 shipped, lower 48. I’ll ship just about anywhere else (even Canada!) at actual cost. Add 3% for PayPal. PM or email at: dave.owenATgeDOTcom
-
A very special Eclipse for sale.
BadgerDave replied to BCR Greg's topic in For Sale - Wanted to Buy - PIF - eBay & Other PSAs
Gus, IMO, the Newport 12 was close to perfect, but it had a few features that I would have changed, including the all maple body and top and the bridge. Mine souded just a bit too bright and a little unfocused. The bridge on mine developed a tendency to vibrate (as did the toggle switch). In contrast, the Eclipse sounds "woodier" has more mids, a tighter low end and clearer highs. Plus the bridge is rock solid. I also like the compact body on the Eclipse. Of course, my opinion is based on just one example of the Newport 12 and a couple of Eclipses. YMMV. The flip flop finish is VERY similar to the candy green and you're right about the candy green looking slightly turquoise in certain light. The flip flop differs in that it turns a distinctly different shade of bright blue as you move it in the light. The effect is not at all subtle. I'm just speculating here, but perhaps the flip flop finish is the unintended result of a slightly different clearcoat used in '95 that has yellowed over time? -
A very special Eclipse for sale.
BadgerDave replied to BCR Greg's topic in For Sale - Wanted to Buy - PIF - eBay & Other PSAs
Gus, I checked the serial number on mine. It is the same guitar that you owned. It took awhile, but I think I spotted the "pizza fingers". There's a smudge on the heel of the neck. Great guitar, BTW. After trying a couple of Ricks, an old Fender, a Newport 12 and some others, I'm convinced that the Eclipse 12 is THE perfect 12 string electric. -
A very special Eclipse for sale.
BadgerDave replied to BCR Greg's topic in For Sale - Wanted to Buy - PIF - eBay & Other PSAs
Here's a photo of the flip/flop Eclipse 6 that I used to own: I don't remember if it was a '95, but I may be able to dig up a photo of the serial # tonight. My Eclipse 12 is the more common metallic candy green finish. No finish issues on the back, so I'm guessing it's different from your old one, Gus. Eclipses are great guitars and becoming harder to find every day. I doubt Greg's will be available for long. -
A very special Eclipse for sale.
BadgerDave replied to BCR Greg's topic in For Sale - Wanted to Buy - PIF - eBay & Other PSAs
There's at least one more. I had it for a while and, IIRC, it now resides with TomTerrific (BD scratches his head wondering if the onset of Alzheimers has begun). Very cool finish. -
Although the fellow siging lead did a pretty good "Bon". Not easy. Dave, I've heard you play. You have absolutely nothing to worry about. Go for it. If you hate it you can quit. It's not a lifetime commitment.
-
Since Thursday, I've spent 18 hours in the air, breathing who-knows-how-many strains of recycled viruses and bacteria. My head feels like a solid block of lead, with a frat-party mucus spigot in the middle.
-
Any thoughts on whether the tone control is original? I've seen a couple of 2 knob Calis, but I have no idea if they were original or "boogered".
-
That purple hamer with white emgs
BadgerDave replied to Submariner85's topic in Hamer Fan Club Messageboard
We're done with it when I SAY we're done with it! Special dispensation for guys from "the State that time forgot". -
That purple hamer with white emgs
BadgerDave replied to Submariner85's topic in Hamer Fan Club Messageboard
You've been a member all your life, so you're set. OH SNA. . . oops, almost forgot we're not doing that anymore. -
What's this Hamer Relic worth?
BadgerDave replied to Bruce's topic in For Sale - Wanted to Buy - PIF - eBay & Other PSAs
I miss Bruce. He added depth to my shallow fantasy world. -
What's this Hamer Relic worth?
BadgerDave replied to Bruce's topic in For Sale - Wanted to Buy - PIF - eBay & Other PSAs
I thought it was because of all the corpses he has sealed in the foundation of his house. I thought it was because he was one of a series. -
What's this Hamer Relic worth?
BadgerDave replied to Bruce's topic in For Sale - Wanted to Buy - PIF - eBay & Other PSAs
Well, there's the wood. And the "Slammer Series" logo. And the fact that it was made in Korea. But otherwise, I guess you have a point. -
What's this Hamer Relic worth?
BadgerDave replied to Bruce's topic in For Sale - Wanted to Buy - PIF - eBay & Other PSAs
Bruce, Welcome to the forum. I'm afraid that there just isn't much interest in the Hamer imports here. We're mostly Zenophobic! It sounds like you have an interesting guitar. Without meaning to sound harsh, the fact that you may have a prototype Korean guitar with US parts is likely going to be met with a resounding "so what" in the marketplace. I could be wrong - there may be someone out there who is looking for precisely what you have to complete his collection. However, as far as the general level of interest in import Hamers is concerned, there is none. I don't belive that even a rare or "one-off" Korean Hamer has collector value, with the possible exception of the Rick Neilson model. You may be able to find a buyer on eBay at $400.00 or more, but you'll have to market the crap out of the "rare prototype" angle. No matter what, you're going to have to do a lot of "splainin" to overcome the stigma associated with "Slammer Series" on the headstock. If yours is simply a regular production early Slammer Series archtop, the prices you've been quoted here aren't unusual. Good quality for the money, but the resale value is abysmal. There is a difference in quality between the early Slammer Series guitars and the later versions (Slammer by Hamer, etc.). I owned an early Slammer Series Califirnian and it was a decent guitar. Worth around $300 in near mint condition, BTW. Your best bet is to float it on eBay and see what happens. Good luck. -
Question About New (Used) Goldtop
BadgerDave replied to 6string's topic in Hamer Fan Club Messageboard
Some kind of mix I think. Hamer has a name for it, but I can't remember what they call it. Dat be "Urelaq", I believe. Some sort of polyurethane concoction. Stike will chime in soon with the molecular composition. -
80's designer graphic seires specials....
BadgerDave replied to murkat's topic in Hamer Fan Club Messageboard
It really depends on the particular graphic. Some, like those posted in this thread are damn cool and worth quite a bit - probably north of $1K. Others are kinda lame and might bring half that. Condition is critical.