Hamer Fan Club Message Center

podxt or gt-8 or? what do you like best?

been looking for a all-in-one processer and need some opinions on what everyone likes best. Maybe you think they all suck and like pedals best. Just need some help here. I play live and at hope and want to do some recording on pc.

Jim

I love my GT-8. Manual (stompbox) mode is a breeze. Wahs are excellent for as little as I use 'em. Distortions could be a little better. Time-based effects are great.

A programable effects loop can make for some interesting setups (See "4 Cable Method") . With the 4CM, you can have your comp/wah/dist though the front of your amp and have the time-based effects through your amp's loop. I just run mine straight into the front of my MK IV and it sounds great.

Best sounds are found with some good tweaking.

I have a GT-8 and I like how it sounds more than the Pod XT Live; however, I'm using it strictly with headphones and for some recording here and there (not through an amp). The GT-8 is a much deeper unit than the Pod XT Live and everything can be done on the unit itself (the PXTL was a bit of a nightmare to program without the computer interface). However, I'd recommend trying both in a store somewhere and seeing what you think. They definitely sound different; which one's best is up to you. Oh, I'd also give the Digitech GNX3000 a look as well. I believe it's one generation ahead of the other two, seems to have a pretty good interface, and sounds really nice from the samples I've heard.

-Austin

I like the Boss stuff, mainly because it's way more user-friendly than the Line 6 stuff (I thought anyway). And you can tweak the shit out of them.

The delays and reverbs on the Boss are killer, and 'manual mode' is worth the price of admission alone.

I own the GNX4 and am very impressed with it still (for a modeler). Its capable of any tone you can dream up, an 8 track recorder (compact flash), drum machine, MP3 player, looper, talk box, built in mic preamp, mixer, direct box.

I ponied up for the MFX Supermodels Patches That are unbelievable 3rd party patches.

There are 4 similar ones to consider, all bring something a little different to the table, ALL are good. GT8/XT live/Tonelab SE/GNX4

The secret with the Podtxt is to ignore the presets. Start a tone from scratch with all effects turned off, then work in your effects one at a time. By doing this, you'll find a sound that you like. And , keep in mind, you'll use one of the built in distortion boxes for that punch, don't try to do it with the amp alone. I agree the podxt is tough to get the hang of, but once you do it's the best hands down.

The secret with teh Podtxt is to ignore the presets. Start a tone from scratch with all effects turned off, then work in your effects one at a time. By doing this, you'll find a sound that you like. And , keep in mind, you'll use one of the built in distortion boxes for that punch, don't try to do it with the amp alone. I agree the podxt is tough to get the hang of, but once you do it's the best hands down.

That's pretty much the secret to all 4 units.

XTlive= great hi gain stuff

GT8= interfaces well with existing amp

TonelabSE= if you're into VOX tones, this is IT

GNX4= ultimate guitarist toolbox

The GNX4 has a great array of extra routing. Including a nice DBX mic preamp. For a piezo equpped or guitar synth situation. This unit is KEWL. Into a powered speaker (EV) can drown out my 50W Marshall easily.

You might also look at the Zoom G7.1UT or the 9.2TT effects consoles.....they have a real tube in them that adds an extra bit of realism to the models.

Zoom G7.1UT

Zoom G9.2TT

I just picked up the G7.1UT and I am amazed how this thing sounds both through headphones and in front of an amp.

There is a HUGE amount of awesome effects to go along with the stellar models. One of the Zoom original effects is called "Air" it basically sounds like you are adding cabinets full of speakers to a room.

The Hughes and Kettner Triamp model is scary real. :)

Edit: This is a recording I did with my old Zoom G2.1U that basically has the same "guts" as the G7.1 and G9.2 but without the tube energizer. Everything you hear is the Zoom G2.1U. (SouthWest Airlines lost my luggage in February so I had to replace it with the Zoom G7.1UT)

Zoom G Series recording

You might also look at the Zoom G7.1UT or the 9.2TT effects consoles.....they have a real tube in them that adds an extra bit of realism to the models.

Zoom G7.1UT

Zoom G9.2TT

:lol: Umm, when the heck did these come out? I like to keep up on the multi-effects world, but I haven't heard anything about these.

-Austin

Oh, and what are the specs on the guitar you're using on that track?

:lol: Umm, when the heck did these come out? I like to keep up on the multi-effects world, but I haven't heard anything about these.

-Austin

Oh, and what are the specs on the guitar you're using on that track?

Hmmm...pretty recently for the 7.1UT and the 9.2TT, they were anounced like 6 months ago but only became available over the last 2 months or so.

The G2.1 and G2.1U have been available since last December.....sweet little units they are. Built like a tank and quiet as hell.

The G2.1U goes for about 169.99US

The G7.1UT goes for about 299.99US

The G9.2TT goes for about 399.99US

The specs on the guitar on Damnation Game:

1994 Hamer USA Daytona

6100 Jumbo frets

DiMarzio FastTrack 2 in the bridge

DiMarzio HS3 in the neck

Everly B-52 strings .09 - .46

Archived