Hamer Fan Club Message Center

MWJVI: resounding success!

I'm here at the cafe on Sunday morning waiting for those with gear stowed in the basement to stop by and grab it before heading home.

Musically, this was unquestionably the best Midwest Jam ever. The recordings my buddy Clinton made of th lunacy will back up this claim (stay tuned for those in the near future).

Thanks again to everyone who showed up, especially Butcher, Poe and Denise, the "surprise" guests who came from great distances to be here; and Bruce and Ken for helping out with getting the Poes back and forth to the airport.

Big fun, everyone. Thanks again for participating.

Well I had to choose between spending the evening with my daughter and the MWJ and the kid won out. I don't know where my priorities are! Seriously wish I could have been there; looks like it was a blast. Next year...

And of course, you made the right decision.

But let me reiterate, I've been to all of 'em (kinda have to be) and this was the BEST Midwest Jam ever in terms of the level of musicianship. The recordings will bear that out. Some of 'em anyway LOL! Even the young buck bass player from my space-rock project was impressed with how well us old farts brought it last night.

Thanks again to everyone who participated. This was really fun for me.

First off, thanks to Chris and his wife for letting us use the Cafe and for setting up a wonderful dinner. It is very much appreciated by this hack.

All I can say is WOW!!!!!!!! From the first set on it was non-stop grinning on my part. Rob, Mike Tom, George and the house drummer really tore it up. The Ramoniacs were up next and did not disappoint. People were pogoing in the aisles of the cafe. BruceM's silver sparkle Standard was stunning, and Bruce's playing even better. JohnnyThunders started them up on each song and kept them going, and Carmie's vocals were perfect.

Tbabinec got a little group up there for a little Santana, Cream, and a few other songs. Mchops held down the bottom with his Cruise 5 without a problem, even if he couldn't hear himself. LOL

Poe CAN sing people. There is no doubt about it. Chris whipped up some Cult, Bad Company and a few other jems with Poe that were unbelievable.

It was a fantastic shock to me on Friday when I pulled up to the Cafe wiith Rob and Denise, after a three hour drive from the airport but that's another story for another time, to see Butcher up playing.

So much happened last night that if I forgot to mention something anyone did, I apologize. It was great to meet new attendees, and just as much fun to reunite with others. I hope everyone makes it home safely and that we can do this again soon.

:lol:

pics looked like ya all had a fun time.... maybe next tiem ill make the 2k trip just for shits and giggles......sad not many of you guys live down here next to mexico... would be fun to actully git some together instead of the practice,gig,practice gig every week... not that its not fun...but the freshness of others makes the music that much more fun ....

Randy :D

We're back home, safe, sound and pooped. We had a great time, and it was a hoot playing, schmoozing and all the rest with everybody! It all goes by so quickly, and I wish there were more time to just hang and swap licks and lies with everybody.

Huge thanks to Chris for once again organizing and hosting this madness!

Made it home a bit ago. Man, am I tired. I'm getting too old for this foolishness.

Chris, thanks ever so much for hosting this. I will definately try and make the next one. As I was jockying cars this afternoon, Rock Steady came on the radio. I will have it learned for next time.

To all that were there, it was good to meet you all. This board is a community, it is wonderful to get to know you as a person, rather than just through your posts.

Butcher, thanks for driving yesterday. While the rest of them were crammed into Chris's van, we were cruisin' in style, and what a glorious day to be cruisin'!!!

This has been a great mini-vacation for me, and something I really needed. Again, thanks to all of you.

We had an absolute blast last night at the Muse. A big "Thank You" :lol: to Chris & Mira for hosting us fools and allowing us to be heard in three counties! This was the first time George & I played dueling Monacos (we have been dubbed the "Prince & Princess of Monaco" by the Most Esteemed Redhead) somewhere other than our basement :D

It was great to hang out and play with everyone and I can't wait to do it again.

Thanks to Muse Cafe and Chris for letting us set up and wail. I enjoyed seeing old- and new-comers. Poe nailed every vocal. Nuclear Wessel "owns" his Joe Walsh and ZZ Top tunes. Ramoniacs were killer. Loved seeing all the Hamers and cool amps. Thanks to all you long-distance travellers who graced us with your musical presence.

You guys kill me...thanks for all your kind words. D and I are safe and sound and DEAD FRIGGIN TIRED!! LOL!!

The quality of people at these things never ceases to amaze me. I cannot thank Ken, Bruce, and Chris enough. Ken and Bruce went out of their way to get me to and from the airport. Ken in the dead of rush hour on a Friday and Bruce at 7AM Sunday morning. You guys rock like no other. I cannot express my level of appreciation to MC Chris enough...the man opens his house to Denise and I and makes us feel right at home. Thank you for letting us enjoy your beautiful home. My wife and I loved the whole experience and I would love to return the favor someday. I especially appreciate the bed with the framing that allowed me to swing down onto the bed with some velocity...it has been a long time sice we have played "Me Tarzan, You Jane" :lol:

The music was just awesome. I love playing these things because I get to play "lead singer" and sing songs that I normally don't get to sing with my band. I have wanted to play Love Removal Machine for years now, and finally got the chance. I would have played that song with anyone, but it was icing on the cake to share the stage with MC Chris on that one. Dude....we smoked that song, The Cult would have been proud!! LOL!!!

Sharing the stage with so many great players and wonderful people is just an amazing feeling.

Rob- Next year we break out the hair metal...I am thinking some Dokken, and some Priest would be in order.

CTrixie - We will have to wait another year to redeem ourselves on Surrender :D

Ken - It took some serious balls to get on that stage in front of so many people and improvise like you did...that kicked ass. Don't sell yourself short, you can play bro. Getting over the stage jitters ain't easy and you deserve a huge round of applause for that. Kudos.

Butcher - D and I were shocked to see you there and it is always a pleasure. Damn, you can play. I love your easy laid back style and would give a lot of things to play like that.

Mike - One of the highlights of the weekend was sitting down at the bar with you, Chris, and Johhny Thunders on Fri night. Denise and I were laughing all the way home about the conversation that night. Fun stuff...always a pleasure.

Tom - I don't think that D and I will have any kids, but thank you for removing all possibility by sterilizing me with that damn Ampeg amp. That thing was so loud and shook my balls so violently, that I am sure I am now shooting blanks. :D

Too many great people and players to list...and don't get me started on the guitars and amps. Some mighty fine equipment in that store.

I'm more then happy I missed all that lame crap you guys we're doing and got to groove to a REAL DJ at the wedding I was at. GEEZZZZ!

Superb time missed by me :lol: . I won't know what to do this spring as MWJ is usually a rite-of-passage.

Looking forward to the MP3s. Groove on guys/gals

Some early morning statistical analysis:

A = Level of musicianship at the MWJ rises.

B = Badger absent.

Correlation between A and B = +1.0!

Sticking to my alternate year MWJ attendance pattern, I'll be back to push the musicianship curve southward in '07.

Looks like y'all had a blast.

Some early morning statistical analysis:

A = Level of musicianship at the MWJ rises.

B = Badger absent.

Correlation between A and B = +1.0!

Sticking to my alternate year MWJ attendance pattern, I'll be back to push the musicianship curve southward in '07.

Looks like y'all had a blast.

Dave, I did my best to keep it down, but just couldn't get it there without you :lol:

You and Dan were definitely missed.

It was a simple case of Nuke starting things off and raising the bar high. The rest of us had no other choice but to bring our A games after that.

At one point he did some two handed trickery that had me and ET bowing in worship!

It was a simple case of Nuke starting things off and raising the bar high. The rest of us had no other choice but to bring our A games after that.

At one point he did some two handed trickery that had me and ET bowing in worship!

If it were not for my amp being in a space that was hard to reach, I probably would have walked after the first set. It was like being back at HFCIV when EvanD shocked everyone at the ripe age of what, 10? I don't think anyone wanted to follow that group.

Poe, thanks for the kind words. The Improv stuff seems to suit my AADD better than actual songs. LOL

If only I still lived in the MidWest. Sounds like lots of fun was had by all.

-Austin

Maybe next year Austin ..

If I wasn't in the middle of a job change, I'd have gone. Time to start planning a road trip for next year. I have room for a few passengers and gear in my van.

And an ice chest. :lol:

Maybe the friggin' gas prices will be down too!

Hey all,

Saturday night was awesome! It was great to see such a wide range of styles represented. The extended "Sunday night craziness" experimental jam was very cool. And great playing by everyone! I had a great time trading licks with tomterrific and MikeC. And Chris, you've never sounded better. Your solos were smokin'!

Looking forward to next year!

Poe, J. Priest is an excellent suggestion! Looking forward to doing an 80's set next year!

And Chris, you've never sounded better. Your solos were smokin'!

Right back at ya! Although Ferdie a.k.a. FunkyE9th would have kicked both of our asses had he not fallen ill and been able to attend.

It looks like it was a lot of fun. I just ended up staying in bed sick watching "The Breakfast Club" while occasionally checking for new MWJ pix.

Can't wait to hear the mp3s.

-FunkyE9th

You should have heard the collective groan in the room when we saw that you weren't coming. We definitely missed you this year. Hope you're feeling better.

Archived