Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Custom Order Arrival-Peedenmark's Spalted Standard

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

El and Pee, Great looking guitar. It reminds me of a Desert landscape in the full shot. Neat flaming to the top also. I haven't seen that in a Spalted guitar. I too remember those comments Poe and am suprised that they built it after hearing those words. Good for you Peedenmark it looks great!

Ctrixie will have to chime in about the quality of her Dean USA Spalted V she has had for a couple years. The Dean USAs are top notch made for the most part as with any maker. The past 5-8 years they have put out a lot of well made stuff. Hamer quality? Maybe on a good day one or more reach it but not every guitar. I wouldn't expect it from them due to the volume built. Time Capsules, which the Spalted ones are, are all Hamer level but OIMNSHO.

I knew BTMN would chime in on the quality of Dean USA guitars....

You say it like that is a bad thing. :lol::o:D

Trust me I have lost no love for Hamer, I just got a sweet mistress. :D

Edited to note: I shared this thread with the Dean board cause those guys dig pointy spalted guitars too.

The newer USA Deans are cool too.

wow, pics up already..

well, I guess I will really need to see/touch this particular one in person, before I say anything about it..

will post a full update on friday ..

john

My....you sound.....thrilled.

+1 For Gene!

My USA MLs are badass and hang with any Hamer USAs I've actually laid my hands on. I've always thought of Hamer and Dean as pretty much neck and neck quality-wise, and hell, didn't they even start for the same reason? To make better Gibsons than Gibson, right?

Hamer definitely does what they do well, but try to get a triple bound, blocked, Floyded Standard without the planets being aligned...

...only to have your conceptual baby show up as a NAMM show guitar 2 years later. :P:D:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Didn't that happen to somebody here?

Edited for punctuation. I wonder how many other things I'm going to overlook during the Post Preview... :D

As cool as Standard gets. Congrats.

You will be king with that one on your belly.

You say it like that is a bad thing. :D:lol::lol:

Trust me I have lost no love for Hamer, I just got a sweet mistress. :lol:

Edited to note: I shared this thread with the Dean board cause those guys dig pointy spalted guitars too.

Not a bad thing at all. I just thought someone needed to jump in and defend the good name of Dean guitars and I figured it would be you!

gorgeous boogie !!!

whats the 1/2 stack ?plexi ?

Is it just the light, or is there very little gloss on that top?  Almost looks satin.  Man, a Cali like that would be hot.

It's the normal gloss. They will do Satin though...

satin6.jpg

I thought that this one was a solid one-piece body. Damned if this wasn't the coolest guitar in the JP/BW racks... And YES, that's a Hamer Korina Standard in the background, lower right.

100_0388.jpg

Damn, Steve - that's a BIG pic! Actually, I was looking for that exact same shot (awesome camerawork there).

That was (is!) a very neat piece of work, and truly some old Aerosmith history. I believe that the wood was Beerlogged, smokesaturated pine, aged about 60 years.

So the Barncaster has a veneer top then? I thought it was solid too but I have never seen it up closer than 4th row. I have a couple shots from the late 2002 dates Brad had that one out on somewhere.

Yeah DavidE . I am a lil predictable eh? :D

Gene:

I think that guitar is solid wood (no veneer). That's what it looked like to me when I gave it the once-over!

Terry told me he had to make the top super thin because the old pine? had "The sonic properties of cardboard." We both spent alot of time in the same parts of NH, so we got to talking about the old days and Terry told me about the Barn.

That would make more sense, I guess - the abuse that wood took over all the years can't be all that good for it! He did do a great job with blending it in - it does look like a solid piece of bar top.

I like the odd stuff like that too.

A quick Greg Howard story... (and there are a lot!)

I just emailed him to say hello, haven't talked in a bit. I told him I am going to France witht eh Dolls and asked for any advice.

His response... "Learn to love Ham and Cheese sandiches."

HAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!!

He's the dude, that bagger.

spalted standard arrives. !!!!

actually I picked it up, so it wasnt banging 'round on the ups truck all day.

this is gonna be long winded>>> so heres the specs;

one piece korina body topped with spalted flamed maple,

korina neck with 4 digit standard neck profile,

ebony board with 10 crowns.

bound head, black hardware.

duncan custom[bridge], duncan jazz[neck]

special trans brown finish on the back [thanks again jol, dead on !! ]

highlighted grain shot clear on the spalted top.

the guitar is of medium weight, not as heavy as mahogany, but definately not feather light like some korinas I have come in contact with...

I love the acoustic and amplified tonal properties of this piece.

I thought long and hard about the guitar as a whole....

very glad I opted for the korina upcharge over the mahogany.

[a big thanks to kim keller for laying some old limba fears to rest]

through my vintage marshalls it absolutely smokes, nice attack !!

through my vintage fenders its warm , yet remains articulate.

the top is truly beautiful in person ,way more variation than the pics showed here,,, [kizanski was right]

but in actuality, the top isnt what I spec'd picture/expectation wise with regard to "dramatic" color variation , wild maple graining and amount of black fungi lines.

I do however really like the flame having no runout and how well it compliments what is there fungi/variation wise.

though night and day different, "it is indeed a well thought/laid out top."

the necks backshape feels like the current vintage carve slimmed back a bit to me.

its very very close to the "green monster" so I do like it, but not sure what the upcharge for special profile was all about...

overall the guitar is truly a sight to be seen .

a true work of hamer artistry .

the attention to detail is over the top !

even with the little quirks.... production, or me just being me...

she's definately a keeper.

"I sincerely appreciate jol agreeing to make this guitar " [knowing full well his thoughts on spalted maple]

one cant forget the time and efforts by all the guys in the shop that laid hands on it as well !!

it was money well spent & she came in way ahead of quoted schedule !!!!

I look forward to my next standard custom project with ROCKETERIA;

black korina with brazilian rosewood top/head face.

that is should we get the ok and I dont have to sell blood to do it :D

lastly a BIG thanks to ROCKETERIA !!!

"dave you have once again been an absolute pleasure to deal with .

I sincerely appreciate your time and extra mile efforts spent not only for this guitar, but also for the ones they dont wanna do!

you are a class act . I cant say enough good about my experiences with you and truly thankful that we hooked up ! "

well theres my spalted standard report .....

have a great weekend everyone and thanks for the kind words in this thread... now back to the guitar room. !

best, john jaco

Archived