Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Violin Help??

I need some help. My kids have been asking for a whil now for instruments. Luckily my son wanted drums, I'm not a drummer by any stretch but I do know how to set up a drum kit, so he's happy. My daughter, on the other hand, wanted a violin. I bought one from a realitively local dealer and it appears to be a decent instrument for a young kid, but I can't get any sound to come out of it? It's in tune and when I pluck the strings it's fine, but running the bow across them we get nothing.......

what am I doing wrong here? Please help me.........

Ok, I'll rosin the bow when I see her tomorrow night. Is there anything else? Any tips or anything? She'll be starting lessons in the next week or so, but I really want her to just play around with it to get a little comfortable.

Thanks!!

Fire on the mountain run, boys run.

Devil's in the house of the risin' sun

chicken in the bread pan, pickin' out dough

Granny does yer dog bite? No, child, no.

Sorry. <_<

,  but I really want her to just play around with it to get a little comfortable.

Thanks!!

Don't. Let the teacher start her properly from scratch, including fitting her for a shoulder rest. Speaking from personal experience, it's like a new skier or golfer... the earlier you can start, the better, and any goofing around at the beginning only starts bad habits. The teacher should be involved fom the beginning including fitting her personally for her first violin (there are 3 sizes,) fitting her for a shoulder rest and teaching her stance, holding the violin in place without hand support, proper bow grip, proper bowing-arm angle, and proper wrist angle.

She'd be much better off having fun this week looking around this lady teacher/player's website in advance:

http://www.sheilascorner.com/sheila.shtml

http://www.sheilascorner.com/studyopening2.shtml

the rosin which music stores sell is often shaped like a small wheel - it will look "black" with a smooth surface. ROUGH IT UP WITH A METAL FILE so that it has crystal-like jagged edges. the rough rosin dust crystals will adhere to the horsehair on the bow better.

if you are still having trouble getting the violin to make sound, remember to drag and push the bow ACROSS the strings, not parallel on top of the strings... :-)

Guest galejt
Even with rosin on the bow there is some acquired talent that it takes to produce a useful sound on a violin.

So it doesn't sound something akin to checking the cat's temperature. <_<

B):P:D

Speaking of which, it's time to do that again.

Little bastids.

The rough rosin dust crystals will adhere to the horsehair on the bow better.

Speaking of which, assuming this is an entry-level violin, the bow "hair" may be nylon, which doesn't offer as much string grip as horsehair, and the rosin is critical to get any kind of tone at all.

Archived