Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Lynyrd Skynyrd tone

IMHO One More From the Road probably capturtes the greatest tone in concert ever recorded. "Redneck Zeppelin" is by default (plane crash) the greatest Rock band originating from the US. Aerosmith is a very close 2nd.

I have Skynyrd's Peavey Deuce.

I also have a Boss ME 50 which features both Muff and MXR. I am constantly siwtching around trying to figure which distortion was possibly used for that album. Maybe both. Or neither?

I emailed Ed King wondering if he could give me some insight, but its been over a year and he hasn't repsonded. I doubt if he will. I live in Nashville and I probably wouldn't recognize him if I bumped into him. I know he didn't play on that particular album.

Gimme Back my Bullets has nice tone which was written about/against King.

Its funny that someone else broght this up. I have been looking into the Southern Rock tone lately. I have been looking for an old Peavey mace or Deuce.

Any one have any insight into this tone?

i know they claim they used peavey maces, but the album tones sound like fenders to me. those mace amps sound like dookie IMFO.

What a timely thread! The live version of Sweet Home came on my iPod yesterday (I LOVE song shuffle...) and though my first instinct was to skip it, I was curious if the solos I played were anything close to what's on the record. Not really, though I somehow developed this solo that I pretty much stick to that sounds right to me. Maybe it's closer to the studio version.

Anyway, I was listening to the band and the guitar tones and once again appreciating what a great band they were and what great guitar tones they had.

I've heard that while the PVs were out front, there were some Marshall heads hidden. Not sure if there's any truth to that.

One thing that may help is minibuckers. The first time I ever test-drove a Les Paul Deluxe and a Crate Vintage Club 30-watt 1x12 combo (my gigging amp at the time) I was playing Skynyrd rhythms and licks non-stop because it was "that" sound. Never got as close again until I tried one of my friend's stock Firebirds through the same VC combo.

Nailed it again with Cajun Boy's stock Eclipse when he first got it and his Super Reverb with a FDII out front in "boost" mode.

i know they claim they used peavey maces, but the album tones sound like fenders to me. those mace amps sound like dookie IMFO.

Is dookie good or bad??

Definitely Deuces in addition to Maces, concert footage confirms this. Molly Hatchet picked up on the same Swamp tone.

Skynyrd probably emulated Duane Allman at first, switching between Marshalls and Fenders.

But someone out there I would imagine knows if, and what, distortion pedals were used on One More From the Road. MXR was a staple, but so was EH Muff.

I've seen some footage of the original band with Steve Gaines in there, and most of the guitar lineup was Peavey, with the odd Marshall head in there, mostly in the middle near the bass cabinets, but it was hard to say if they were part of the bass rig, guitar rigs, or what.

Jeff, that VC-30, turned up to 9 or so on the clean channel, was all I needed for years in the clubs. I used the 50 watt head for outside stuff. Not Holy Grail stuff, but great sounding, tough and unjustly under-rated. I still have both amps.

Try going to this board:

http://www.peaveyt60.com/

Page Chip Todd, who frequents the board regularly, and ask him about Skynard and Peavey. He was one of the designers of the Peavey T-60 guitar and was with Peavey back in the day. He's a nice fellow, and I'll just betcha he'd be happy to help if he knows anything.

:)

the old firebirds give that crunchy sound as well...the 2 pick up versions...the thin body coupled with the tinny pickups have a distinct sound

Randy :)

Its funny that someone else broght this up. I have been looking into the Southern Rock tone lately. I have been looking for an old Peavey mace or Deuce.

Any one have any insight into this tone?

The Peavey Dueces on tour weren't the VT series. The original was Black Widow speakers and 4 6L6 tubes. I've read on Harmony Central that these sound similar to Marshall. It was probably built that way...aka Mississippi Marshall.

The VT has an effects loop and mediocre lookng speakers.

Archived