Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Hamer Monaco.....

Guest pirateflynn

Guest pirateflynn

I have a line on a Hamer Monaco w/ a Bigsby, TV Jones PUs, Crown inlays, Trans orange over spruce, $2850 new. What do ya think?

Ken

Obviously crowns and TV Jones pups are upcharges. What is the retail vs. street? You should probably expect a litlle less than the usual markdown because it was custom ordered.

ArnieZ

Guest pirateflynn

I was told that retail is $4,075 and the sale price is $2,850.

I definately would use a dealer here if doing a Custom Order but I just ran across this one.

Man, is it cool. But, do I need a Gretsch style guitar?

That's a good start...

I have a line on a Hamer Monaco w/ a Bigsby, TV Jones PUs, Crown inlays, Trans orange over spruce, $2850 new. What do ya think?

Ken

What would a used Monaco cost? Then consider the cost of putting in TV Jones pickups in that. Is the remaining difference (crowns, color) worth the extra $1200 or so?

That comes out to 30% off the list. That's in line with some dealers....some others will go 40%, but that's pretty much it. If it's brand new and EXACTLY what you want, and the dealer is reputable/gives good service, I'd say go for it....the MOST you could save anywhere else would be another $300 - $400. Of course, if they're stuck with a custom order and are wanting to get out from under it, they might come off of it a little more too.

That is a custom order guitar and right in line for what I would expect to pay for that kind of build. Yes you might be able to get a similar guitar built from a board dealer. But I would say that you'd see a price tag that is similar or more for the same guitar. If you like it get it. 2800 and change is a fair price for a custom guitar.

I was told that retail is $4,075 and the sale price is $2,850.

I definately would use a dealer here if doing a Custom Order but I just ran across this one.

Man, is it cool. But, do I need a Gretsch style guitar?

I guess I'm having a hard time seeing how they arrived at that price without a lot more custom options. Trans orange on spruce is zero upcharge. There's an upcharge for the pickups and the crowns. But not that much more. Does it have an ebony fingerboard? Are there any more options added?

Sounds high to me. An HFCer here just bought one that was essentially new (NOS) for less than half that. It was the stock one, but for 1/2 price, I wouldnt' think twice. You could probably do as well or better through one of the dealers here and get exactly what you wanted. Custom orders can be a wonderful thing. If you're not sure you want a Gretsch, you might overpay on this one, hate it and then lose big trying to flip it, particularly b/c it wouldn't be new anymore.

If a dealer wants to do business with you, and does not have a customer lined up who is willing to pay a higher price, you should be able to negotiate them down to about 60% of list price. I have done that twice with my local Hamer dealer (with an Epiphone in 2003 and an Artist Korina last March) by telling her exactly what I want, having her order from factory, agreeing to pay cash or check when I pick it up. In each case, I got a brand new guitar right out of the case, not played or nicked up by another customer, and gave the dealer a check for 56% of the list price of guitar & case combined. Of course, that approach might not suit you if you need to try the guitar out before making a decision, but in both situations I knew exactly what brand & model I wanted, and I did not write the check until I inspected each guitar closely for 30 minutes before taking them home. It helps if you already have a relationship based on trust & integrity with the dealer. Have fun & good luck.

In addition to the 2 examples I already mentioned, of which I took delivery the day they arrived from the factory, I previously got the same 56% deal on a Gibson Les Paul in December, 1999 from another store in my area - it left the factory 12-12-99, I bought it brand new 12-22-99. Not saying it happens often, but if one is willing to wait it out, check the available alternatives, etc, great deals should still be out there. Dealers in different regions of the country may have different policies.

Guest pirateflynn
Hey here's a thought get one of the newer Gretsch Electromatics hollow bodies and do a pickup upgrade to TV Jones and viola Gretsch guitar with bigsby et al.

G5120_lg.jpg

Thanks for the suggestion Mike but you know all too well how beautiful the Monaco is.....I'll wait for a Hamer.

gave the dealer a check for 56% of the list price of guitar & case combined

Hamer List prices INCLUDE the case.

OK, change the % to 59 - my point is that I was able to get 40% off list on 2 guitars that were brand new deliveries and another that had left the Gibson factory 10 days before I bought it - they were not "stock that had been around too long."

OK, change the % to 59 - my point is that I was able to get 40% off list on 2 guitars that were brand new deliveries and another that had left the Gibson factory 10 days before I bought it - they were not "stock that had been around too long."

That is Gibson, and they are notorious for over inflating their list prices. Hamer is a different animal than Gibson.

I am well aware that they are different animals, but as I clearly stated in my post of July 17 and attempted to clarify in the quote you referred to, I was able to get 59% of list price on a BRAND NEW HAMER ARTIST KORINA, through an authorized Hamer dealer. I only mentioned it because it may relate to how much one should be prepared to pay for a new Monaco.

Different dealers will be able/willing to get you different discounts based on lots of factors-time of year, month, etc. No matter which line it is-NewAKO's post is well meant advice. If you're not happy with a sticker price, don't be afraid to ask for a lower one! New or used.

Archived