Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Hanging with Paults and the boys...

These days I'm so busy I don't get much time to surf the net so some of you might have noticed I've been absent for some time (or then again maybe you didn't. lol!).

Paults and the Reaganomics (or the ray-gun-omics, or regan-omics, or however they're deciding to spell it now ;) ) have been in at my studio cutting their new promotional disc celebrating ten years of playing songs that are over twenty years old. ;)

Pault's was extremely happy to know that the guitar tone he heard on the tracks was due to "good mic placement" of a MD421 and SM57 and not a bunch of eq-ing or effects. Paults' is using his Silver Jubilee with a custom 2x12 cab with vintage 30's. He had a Phantom (Hamer content!) and a PRS (custom 22 or 24 I think?) that he used on the tracks. The PRS sat better in the mix so it will be heard on most of the songs.

He and the guys have quite a collection of 80's tunes including a medley of Bon Jovi and a cover of Rebel Yell, which features Paults abusing his whammy bar.

Yesterday we did some vocals in our B studio after a couple of days of tracking the music in Studio A. The guys will have yet another day or two of tracking, which promises to be fun.

Fortunately for me, Paults was there at the sessions to tell me how to engineer properly! :lol:;):P I don't know why I wasted the money on Full Sail and The Recording Workshop when I could have just signed up for private lessons with him? :P We're all having a good time and I'm looking forward to more of everyone verbally abusing everyone else (in a friendly manner of course). Although, the newer guys in the band that didn't know Paults and I knew each other before hand had priceless expressions on their faces when we first started in on each other. ("Can't you just put those two takes together like a real engineer?" "Well if you could play it right in the first place I wouldn't have to try to edit it together now would I?!!?" ;) ) Just keep Paults away fromt he margarita mix. :lol: (kidding!)

HAHAHA!!! SOme of the guys were in the control room when paults was tracking guitars and one of them said, "Aww, look at Paul he's so cute the way he holds his guitar!" and I replied, "Cute? No, he's dreamy! I have a Paul lunchbox with a matching thermos!" Suddenly the control room was filled with hysterical laughter.

Apparently, he never told those guys about his fan club here, or our merchandise!

Gerg, you've made me famous! How could I begrudge you for that??

Colin, you Rock!. After you secretly replace all my solos with your playing, It'll sound even better!! : )

ROTFLMAO!!!! ;);)

I say we just "sample" the original songs in their entirety!

COLUMBUS RAWKS!!! Hey that would be a great song. Huh? Wha?.... Oh sorry there is one something about Cleveland. ;):lol:;)

Good to see you boys keep my old hometown rocking. I gotta catch Paults band on one of my trips home to experiance the true dreaminess of that which is Paults.

Course bumping into him at a music store and then watching him handle his ride to dodge a zipping Honda in my rearview was pretty sweet though.

Archived