Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Climbing prices on used Mirages?

John E

EBay says differently. The only Mirages generally doing $1K with regularity - if you can call it that, considering the relative few transactions of any Mirage - are the Is.

I've seen *one* II bring that number, and I don't think I've ever seen a mapletop do over $850 on eBay.

Willcutt might get that number, but it'll be from drive-by traffic that isn't hip to the global market. IOW, if you're going into Willcutt's, you probably aren't looking for $350 deals.

IMO, you can't really use ebay as a price setter. There are too many unknowns about the seller and the real conditions of a guitar. A dealer sold guitar might be sold at a bit of a premium due to the service involved, guitar is set up etc...

Could fool me if that's truly the case. I just sold a damn fine, virtually unplayed and set up perfect Mirage maple top with an awesome top on ebay for only $750 + shipping. I had a bunch of watchers and a few tire kickers, but even with 100% positive feedback and a dozen pictures of the guitar I only had 1 bidder. It's one thing to ask a price but an entirely different thing to actually get it. If Willcutts can get over $1K for one, more power to them. A NOS Mirage II was up on ebay a couple weeks ago for $999 and no one bid on it, so it's hard to justify spending an extra $200 for a used one. I'm with AdmiralB on the mirages, I's in perfect shape may get in the $1K ballpark, but to see a II or a maple top fetch those prices consistently is still probably quite a few years off in the future. I don't get it because I personally think these guitars are among the most toneful, versatile, and attractive (yes, I did indeed say attractive...I know there is a running joke about mirages and boat oars here) :P Hamer guitars ever made...just didn't strike a resonant chord with the general public I guess? Oh well, if there is an increase in used mirage prices, I think it's a relatively minor one and I personally have not seen it.

Was that teal one with the chrome dome knobs yours? Or was yours the one with the mark on the neck?

Mine was the "more blue" one with the shallow ding on the neck and the stock plastic knobs. Truly a nice guitar, as is my other Mirage maple top...well worth every penny of what they go for on ebay. Anyway, back on track...I just don't see Mirage prices taking a sustained steep swing up anytime soon unless either someone famous starts playing them or a guitar magazine does a favorable write up on one (kind of how prices on late 90's Phantom Customs shot up a bit for a brief time after a write up was done on one a year or two ago in some magazine...Vintage Guitar maybe? Can't remember at the moment). I'll be surprised if Willcutts moves that guitar for over $950, reputable guitar dealer and all.

That was a beaut. I have one in the same 'shade' of Kool Blue, seems like most are more teal.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if Willcutt does get $1K for it. But it'll be a walk-in.

Anyone who's looking at them on eBay knows what they are and probably knows the going rate. But someone who's never seen one before? And determines that 1) they're great guitars, and 2) even at $1K they're cheaper than a PRS Custom 22, which is the closest match?

Yours is getting compared to stock guitars, because that is what informed buyers are going to do. Yours has different pickups and switch and/or pots - that's cool, but how many people pay extra for used guitars with swapped pickups? Especially when the swap is from Duncan to Rio (or vice versa, even) - two pretty much comparable brands? Does a P90 Special sell for more if it has Rio P90s instead of the stock Duncans? I haven't seen any evidence that it does.

I don't know that reproduction costs figure in, either - that P90 Special is what, $650 on the top end? It'd take over $2.5K to get a new one.

Chris Herman has a Mirage that someone (Greg, I think) put a triple-coil in. Is it cool? Damn straight. Does that add value to it? Not to most buyers.

I'll reiterate - I think if you are patient, you'll probably get $1K. You couldn't find a better venue to sell than Willcutt's. But I think the reasons you've mentioned aren't why.

Those things are worth every penny, regardless of whether the seller is asking $750 or $1750. I've got a Mirage I and I will own a II and Maple Top some day. They are absolutely amazing guitars, and it's too bad Hamer is not making them anymore.

Willcutt is asking for $1199 for this used (flame-top) Koa Mirage II.  Is this Caddie's?

643340-1.jpg

Never thought I'd see anyone asking for more than $1k for a Mirage.  Great guitars, but not my flava!

nope, not mine

Archived